Newbie programmer

Robdesautel

My name is Robert DeSautel and I would like to reach out to all other programmers that follow the WoW. I have recently had a career change into programming and i am having a hard time keeping eyes open without falling into coffee. Is there something else that i can drink or something to start productive?

Please help me I love this career field..

Programmer non-coffee drinker here.   The key to staying awake as a programer is the same key to staying awake in every other job field:

-- Have a solid routine your body can follow every day.  Try to be up when the sun is up and see it.  

-- Get exercise.  Both in general- such as a morning work out, and little times throughout the day.  Like if my code is running a 2 minute diagnostic, I stretch and move around a little.

-- A good breakfast

-- Coffee/caffeine is addictive and encourages dependency.  If you start down that road it's really hard to stop and it becomes "required" for normal function.   Get off and stay off it.  

Edited by Jane_Doe

I'm not a programmer but do follow the WoW.  Try herbal peppermint or ginger tea or diffuse good quality peppermint, grapefruit, ginger or rosemary essential oil in the air.  You can also use topically for a more subtle approach in case you share an office.  Google for more info and welcome to the forum.

1 hour ago, Robdesautel said:

My name is Robert DeSautel and I would like to reach out to all other programmers that follow the WoW. I have recently had a career change into programming and i am having a hard time keeping eyes open without falling into coffee. Is there something else that i can drink or something to start productive?

Please help me I love this career field..

Programmer here.

You can't be a real deal programmer without....

MOUNTAIN DEW.

I am a real programmer (I get pay checks and everything)  and I generally avoid caffeine (including Mt Dew)...

My method is pretty much what others have said... plenty of sleep, exercise etc.  One thing not mentioned is to get up and move during your breaks... It it really easy to sit and work all day... but that is not really good for you.. and it can contribute to feeling sleepy.

Pam, i guess i could have related to everyone who looks at a computer all day,  but i was thinking programmers because all we do (almost 24/7) is figure out what the last developer did, add our new code, debug....we are just in a vicious cycle, but it really is cool.

Estralding, that's what do during my breaks i also stand in my cubicle and read the code. I need to start exercising but i had just moved and just started this new job so i am just everywhere lol.

1 minute ago, Robdesautel said:

Pam, i guess i could have related to everyone who looks at a computer all day,  but i was thinking programmers because all we do (almost 24/7) is figure out what the last developer did, add our new code, debug....we are just in a vicious cycle, but it really is cool.

Try having to read these forums most of the day. :P   Sometimes it puts me to sleep.  

Guest MormonGator
9 minutes ago, Robdesautel said:

I could always spice it....that would wake me up too lol.:D:D:D

Be careful bro. Every time I try to spice things up, @pam threatens to kick me out. Apparently she has a problem with four letter words and frequent polygamy references. 

8 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

Be careful bro. Every time I try to spice things up, @pam threatens to kick me out. Apparently she has a problem with four letter words and frequent polygamy references. 

Well when people mention the 4 letter word that begins sn.. I get upset.  You know that white stuff that falls from the sky?

10 minutes ago, Robdesautel said:

Snow? I love snow. Its the purest form of precipitation. I wish i had more snow...:D:D

No.  She meant snot.  Falling from Lord Farquaad's nose as he looms over her, plucking out her precious gumdrops.

19 minutes ago, Robdesautel said:

Snow? I love snow. Its the purest form of precipitation. I wish i had more snow...:D:D

Quit swearing on these forums. :P   That 4 letter word is not allowed.  hahahaha

25 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

When you meet @zil you'd want to change your mind on that and challenge @MormonGator to be the head of the compound.

IF that == "4-letter words" THEN
  zil.reaction = "snarl"
ELSE
  zil.reaction = "blush"
ENDIF

As to the original question, I agree 100% with Jane - get enough sleep at the same time and for the same duration every night (even weekends), routine (as far as your wake / sleep and work schedules - the body likes routine), exercise, eat well - in other words, follow the WoW and similar scriptures. If I had to rate one as most important, it would be getting enough sleep - too many people think they can do without, but they clearly can't - if they could, they wouldn't be looking for caffeine and 5-hour energy drinks, and other artificial ways to compensate for lack of sleep; nor would they get sick as much and take as long to recover from illness.  Your body actively fights caffeine in a way that tries to make you tired, which is why you need more - it's an escalating battle between the caffeine dosage and your body's response to it.  So just don't do it.  If you're already addicted, wean yourself off it.

Alternately, find more interesting things to code. ;)