Aerosol words

askandanswer

I heard an interesting new expression last week. It’s “aerosol words.” An aerosol word is a word, or phrase, that you just spray into the air. They feel good and improve the atmosphere and make people feel better, but they are insubstantial and hard to catch hold of. The word that I heard that was described as an aerosol word last week was innovation. Have you heard any aerosol words lately?  

7 minutes ago, askandanswer said:

I heard an interesting new expression last week. It’s “aerosol words.” An aerosol word is a word, or phrase, that you just spray into the air. They feel good and improve the atmosphere and make people feel better, but they are insubstantial and hard to catch hold of. The word that I heard that was described as an aerosol word last week was innovation. Have you heard any aerosol words lately?  

This entire concept is mystifying to me.

2 hours ago, askandanswer said:

Not really, the concept seems kind of nebulous.  The definition you provided is somewhat cloudy.  Such thoughts makes my head feel like it's in a fog.

Sorry.  Couldn't help myself.

How 'bout: Synergy, cutting edge, trend setting, gone viral, litterally

Edited by Guest

2 hours ago, askandanswer said:

supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.

I can swear there's a dilbert cartoon hiding somewhere in that opening post.

In evaluations they can be words that bulk up a comment without actually adding anything.  For example...

John Doe expertly managed twenty-five 30 million dollar accounts insuring excellent percentage rate increases over the 10 percent range.

In the above sentence expertly and excellent are both aerosol words.  They add nothing to the meaning of the sentence in any real way.

In a meeting you could have someone say the following...

We need more synergy in our teamwork to collaborate more seamless interactions.

Which could be simply stated

We need better teamwork.

Thus synergy, collaborate, seamless and interactions are all aerosol words.

That's what I think it would refer to.  Unfortunately, I bulk up my writing all the time, so I probably use aerosol words constantly out of habit.

31 minutes ago, Sunday21 said:

Social justice (those who espouse are demonstrably judgemental)

Not only is this an aerosol word, 'Social Justice' is a complete farce.  Justice is justice, to add anything to it makes it no longer justice but rather a vehicle for societal accepted bias and injustice.

Edited by person0

On 3/30/2017 at 11:34 AM, askandanswer said:

Have you heard any aerosol words lately?  

Hot air doesn't just waft down from the self-assumed,  head-in-the-cloud heights of mount SJW, but it also sweeps like a sirocco across the arid sand dunes of MLM (multi-level marketing meetings).

But, no one plays better vacuous word games than the Left, particularly via the false labels they attach to their causes--not the least of which was the mis-named Affordable Care Act, which was anything but affordable.

Thanks, -Wade Englund-