Things I have tried that worked

Sunday21

Things I have tried that worked:

Many of my students hate speaking in public, but it is hard to succeed in many jobs if you cannot address a meeting so we have classes that require you to address the class. I told students that they can write a 3,000 word essay rather than address the class. Objections melted away. Amazingly no one produced a note from their doctor or gave me a heart rending story or asked to be referred to disability services, everyone spoke.

Start visiting teaching at the first of the month

Teaching classes at church, ask people in the class the week before to prepare to speak on a topic for 1-2 minutes. Guaranteed they will speak for 5 minutes. Most people will say something deeply spiritual and profound. Bring Kleenex. 

That's one cool thing about Church - between primary and fast and testimony Sunday, prayer, etc, kids have tons of opportunity to speak in public.

I have kids who can extemporaneously talk and talk and talk nonstop in public.  If you bring up space science, politics, and music, they'll talk your ears off.

1 hour ago, anatess2 said:

That's one cool thing about Church - between primary and fast and testimony Sunday, prayer, etc, kids have tons of opportunity to speak in public.

I have kids who can extemporaneously talk and talk and talk nonstop in public.  If you bring up space science, politics, and music, they'll talk your ears off.

But do they sound like Sigourney Weaver in Finding Dory?

Me: Goodnight kids.
Jr. Primary: Dad, can I tell you something?
Me: Sure, go ahead.
Jr: The octopus is a gentle and shy creature. Sometime his curiosity ....
Me: Goodnight kids.

2 hours ago, anatess2 said:

If your child decided to exercise his inner Picasso on your TV with a Sharpie... wiping it off with hand sanitizer on a paper towel works.

Except that a lot of them have moisturizers and other gunk you'll then have to clean off.  Denatured alcohol is handy to have around, and if you don't want to spring for a quart, go to the automotive section and get some Heet methanol fuel line deicer in the yellow bottle.  (Red is isopropanol, which will remove Sharpie really well, but isn't as efficient in most homemade alcohol stoves, which, since BSA won't allow any homemade stoves, you're going to need to have home lessons on.)

1 hour ago, NightSG said:

Except that a lot of them have moisturizers and other gunk you'll then have to clean off.  Denatured alcohol is handy to have around, and if you don't want to spring for a quart, go to the automotive section and get some Heet methanol fuel line deicer in the yellow bottle.  (Red is isopropanol, which will remove Sharpie really well, but isn't as efficient in most homemade alcohol stoves, which, since BSA won't allow any homemade stoves, you're going to need to have home lessons on.)

But then we spend half the time in the Philippines and their "dirty kitchens"... where alcohol in their homemade stoves are considered... for rich people only. . :cool:

But yeah, you do get to use kerosene to fire your bamboo canons.  But you shouldn't use that stuff on your TV... ;)

Edited by anatess2

Sharpie markers on the TV.  Good times.  I have had that happen some time ago.  Kid always wanted to draw on the TV.

I believe what I used was a dry erase marker.  If you use dry erase on top of the sharpie marks, and then erase it, it is as if the sharpie was never there.  Did it several times because that kid of mine was very determined.  Annoyingly so.

The kid also did that to the couch...didn't try it on the couch as it is a porous thing.  Kid destroyed that couch and when I got a new one, I got one that was not cloth and VERY dark colored.  Then that kid started poking holes in the leather.  I love my kids, but there are times they could drive me crazy when they were young.

7 hours ago, JohnsonJones said:

Sharpie markers on the TV.  Good times.  I have had that happen some time ago.  Kid always wanted to draw on the TV.

I believe what I used was a dry erase marker.  If you use dry erase on top of the sharpie marks, and then erase it, it is as if the sharpie was never there.  

In college, we had some folks who loved to use Sharpies to write and draw inappropriate things on the whiteboards on people's doors. Going over their work with a dry erase marker worked like a charm. 

I've removed Sharpie from a poly cotton blend uniform shirt by dabbing hand sanitizer gel with a cotton ball. 

I also make my own static guard with a little bit of fabric softener and a lot of water in a spray bottle. I spray it on blankets and carpets in addition to clothes. (I have to discharge myself on a regular basis in the winter.)

When conducting opening exercises, put announcements in chronological order. Most newspapers list Time, Date, and Place (TDP) in that order for events, so it's something people are unconsciously used to.

On 2017-05-20 at 10:53 PM, seashmore said:

In college, we had some folks who loved to use Sharpies to write and draw inappropriate things on the whiteboards on people's doors. Going over their work with a dry erase marker worked like a charm. 

I've removed Sharpie from a poly cotton blend uniform shirt by dabbing hand sanitizer gel with a cotton ball. 

I also make my own static guard with a little bit of fabric softener and a lot of water in a spray bottle. I spray it on blankets and carpets in addition to clothes. (I have to discharge myself on a regular basis in the winter.)

When conducting opening exercises, put announcements in chronological order. Most newspapers list Time, Date, and Place (TDP) in that order for events, so it's something people are unconsciously used to.

I wish that they would describe the activity and THEN tell when, where. Once you know what the activity is..TPing the bishop's house, then you know if you want to attend, YES!! So then you pay attention to the date and time (every Sunday After church)