Sarcasm

Fether

After posting about sarcasm on another thread, I was reminded of this Ensign article:

https://www.lds.org/ensign/2013/08/no-corrupt-communication?lang=eng

Prior to reading this, sarcasm was a large portion of how I spoke. 

I spoke to a friend about my addiction to the form of speech and he shared this thought.

"Sarcasm inhibitsrelationship building." Woth sarxasm, one puts up a front personality that is not your own.

He went on to talk about how it is often funny, but also almost always at another's expense. That is also never fulfills the admonition of Paul found in Ephesians 4:29  to "Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers”

I have been trying to repent of this habit I had and have made massive strides in removing it. I feel so much better now that it is less prevelant in my life.

What are your thoughts? Should we remove sarcasm completely?

1 hour ago, zil said:

Must refrain from making snarky comment about sarcasn...  Like how me and my best bud were hangin' out tellin' jokes - you know, sarcasn'; and then my buddy laughed so hard it was like he was having a sarxasm fit.

(Sorry, I have absolutely no self control.)

Like you had to actually like tell us that!

4 hours ago, Fether said:

After posting about sarcasm on another thread, I was reminded of this Ensign article:

https://www.lds.org/ensign/2013/08/no-corrupt-communication?lang=eng

Prior to reading this, sarcasm was a large portion of how I spoke. 

I spoke to a friend about my addiction to the form of speech and he shared this thought.

"Sarcasm inhibitsrelationship building." Woth sarxasm, one puts up a front personality that is not your own.

He went on to talk about how it is often funny, but also almost always at another's expense. That is also never fulfills the admonition of Paul found in Ephesians 4:29  to "Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers”

I have been trying to repent of this habit I had and have made massive strides in removing it. I feel so much better now that it is less prevelant in my life.

I do not like sarcasm at all. Its entirely pointed towards being hurtful and negative. But there is a line between humor, irony, and circumstance that can be positive in the right context which otherwise would be considered sarcasm. Its all in carefulness in using your words to create a positive outcome.

This idea probably also includes a LOT of what we consider humor out there.

Also, included in light-mindedness

LDS light-mindedness

Light-Mindedness 

See also Evil Speaking

To treat lightly sacred things (D&C 84:54).

• The Saints are not to have idle thoughts, nor an excess of laughter, D&C 88:69.

• Cease from all your pride and light-mindedness, D&C 88:121.

19 hours ago, Fether said:

Hopefully not.

Men, especially, deal with the greatest obstacles through sarcasm.  Women cry, men laugh.  That's been the generalized way of things before Gender Studies turned the natural world upside down.  Have you ever wondered why you find men volunteering to work in the harshest of conditions?  That's because they have this keen ability to laugh (and scoff) at whatever obstacle life has to offer.

My 2 boys - and a lot of their Gen Z friends (in real life and online) - are proficient with sarcasm... as in, they can identify sarcasm from a mile out unlike a lot of these pajama boy personalities on mainstream media and the grievance brigade who takes offense at things meant for hilarity.

Edited by anatess2

Guest MormonGator
16 minutes ago, Mike said:

Low blow! I was.

It's actually a good idea. If we institute an immediate and swift ban on anyone who has a different personality than "meek, submissive, humble, quiet and somber" conversion and retention rates will skyrocket. I think our aim should be a "Christian Taliban" type thing, where kite flying and eating cookies are punishments worthy of death. 

Edited by MormonGator

41 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

... unlike a lot of these pajama boy personalities on mainstream media and the grievance brigade who takes offense at things meant for hilarity.

By the way, Anatess, you're really good at that. And I'm not being sarcastic. :)

7 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

It's actually a good idea. If we institute an immediate and swift ban on anyone who has a different personality than "meek, submissive, humble, quiet and somber" conversion and retention rates will skyrocket. 

And, here, I was making the observation that "Mormons are really silly people".  Does that fit with meek, submissive, humble...?

Guest MormonGator
12 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

And, here, I was making the observation that "Mormons are really silly people".  Does that fit with meek, submissive, humble...?

Silliness will be phased out eventually too. 

I'm being dead serious @Carborendum. The more we try to eliminate any personality differences, the better we'll be in the long run. After all, belief in Joseph Smith Jr being a prophet and the Book of Mormon being true doesn't matter (I believe those very things, by the way). It's if someone has a dark sense of humor or votes for democrats. 

Edited by MormonGator

20 hours ago, Fether said:

... I have been trying to repent of this habit I had and have made massive strides in removing it. I feel so much better now that it is less prevelant in my life.

What are your thoughts? 

So, back to your OP, I want to tell you that I can relate. Like you I've tried to change my habits and to better know my face-to-face audience without resort to sarcasm. I think of it as a treat others as I wish to be treated thing. But as you can see, it's easy to slip into established habits. :)

Sarcasm is so deeply ingrained in our society that I'm not sure how we could eradicate it. But maybe we should. I cannot thinkof any time when the Lord unambiguously used sarcasm. Hyperbole, certainly, but not sarcasm. In contrast, consider Cain's infamous impudence before the Lord: "Am I my brother's keeper?"

Prophets have used sarcasm, gentle or biting. But maybe we'd be better off without it.

2 minutes ago, Vort said:

Sarcasm is so deeply ingrained in our society that I'm not sure how we could eradicate it. But maybe we should. I cannot thinkof any time when the Lord unambiguously used sarcasm. Hyperbole, certainly, but not sarcasm. In contrast, consider Cain's infamous impudence before the Lord: "Am I my brother's keeper?"

Prophets have used sarcasm, gentle or biting. But maybe we'd be better off without it.

Apparently, it's not just our culture since Cain used it. 

On 8/10/2017 at 4:10 PM, zil said:

Must refrain from making snarky comment about sarcasn...  Like how me and my best bud were hangin' out tellin' jokes - you know, sarcasn'; and then my buddy laughed so hard it was like he was having a sarxasm fit.

(Sorry, I have absolutely no self control.)

??? I don't get it. 

1 hour ago, eddified said:

??? I don't get it. 

That's probably a good thing (I feel bad for people who understand where my brain has gone).

I was teasing @Fether (but with no ill feeling on my part) about type-os (one of which has since been fixed) in the OP.

If you pronounce it, "sarcasn" sounds like "sarcazing" without the "g" (as if that were the verb form of "using sarcasm").

And "sarxasm" looks like it could be a medical condition (and reminded me of paroxysm).

2 hours ago, eddified said:

??? I don't get it. 

"Sarcasn" sounds like a gerund, a casual g-dropping form of "sarcasing" (pronounced SAHR-kazz-ing), which would presumably mean "engaging in sarcasm". Actually, it does sound like a pretty useful verb, and I ain't sarcasin'.

Edited by Vort