What are you doing for the eclipse?

Jane_Doe

My plan is to get up Monday morning and go to work. Then, if I remember, I'll go outside to watch the eclipse. If it's cloudy, I'll mutter "Bummer" and go back in and get to work. If it's clear, I'll silently curse at myself for not getting polarized glasses, then remind myself that it's only a partial eclipse anyway, so no biggie. Then I'll go back in and get to work.

Ya bunch of wet blankets.  I'll be playing the music at my work, displaying music videos on a projector.  Got a time-specific playlist with pre max, max, and receding songs.  

Our hope is the music will bring people to the cafeteria, and folks with the safe glasses will share with those lacking, and our workforce won't go blind squinting up at the 89% eclipse.

Edited by NeuroTypical

I didn't realize that here in Salt Lake City it's going to be almost a total looking at the website that NT posted.  And of course you can't find solar eclipse glasses anywhere around.  Well amazon has them for almost $100 bucks now.

2 hours ago, pam said:

I didn't realize that here in Salt Lake City it's going to be almost a total looking at the website that NT posted.  And of course you can't find solar eclipse glasses anywhere around.  Well amazon has them for almost $100 bucks now.

Welding lens, shade 14, or stack a 5 and a 10.  Try Tractor Supply, steel supply houses, etc.

Lens-based projection viewer: http://richardsont.people.cofc.edu/safe_solar_folder/index.html

Pinhole based projection viewer: http://time.com/4903137/solar-eclipse-viewer-how-make/

Even with the glasses (ISO rating 12312-2) or welders mask (shade 14), do not look directly at the eclipse for more than a moment or two. Solar retinopathy is irreversible; don't risk a lifetime of having a permanent black spot in your vision for a few minutes of seeing something cool. Something you could have seen on the tv, or NASAs live Facebook event.

My preparations have included sounding like a broken record as I say, "No, I'm sorry, we don't have any." The day of, I'll either be eating lunch or staring at the sunset through the north windows of our optical sales floor. Very grateful I'll be at check out because that means I won't have to answer as many calls about people concerned with blindness because they stared directly at the sun while it was not completely covered by the moon. (I work front desk at an optometrist's office 40 miles from totality.)