hastening while reducing

askandanswer

In recent years, there seems to have been several calls to hasten the work, yet one of the reasons given for halving the number of General Conference Priesthood sessions is to reduce and simplify the work of the church and the demands made on leaders and members. ( http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/general-conference-sessions-consolidated-april-2018?cid=HP_FR_27-10-2017_dPFD_fMNWS_xLIDyL1-B_) How can we simultaneously hasten the work while reducing the work of the church and lessening the demands on leaders and members? And is the goal of reducing the work of the church and the demands made on leaders and members really worth giving up the prophetic and apostolic inspiration and guidance so freely available in any General Conference session?

I"ll take a stab at this - Instead of spending 2 hours listening to the upteenth talk on whatever you can actually spend that time *doing* what we've been asked to do. For instance, hastening the work includes indexing and other family history. Given how many talks there have been on this and to see how few participate, dropping a meeting allows more time to pursue these critical endeavors. Hence, simplifying can enhance hastening.

How often does a talk in GC actually teach you something new?  In my experience, they remind us of what we've already learned and encourage us to try harder.  Once in a while, there will be some stunning insight, but the end result of that is still that we should be doing The Primary Answers.  Further, with the advent of modern technology, men can "attend" the women's session and women can "attend" the Priesthood session, thus, everyone who wants it can get 10 full hours of GC.

When I add this change to the change in Priesthood/RS lessons (especially the 1st Sunday), and the change to VTing messages for next year, I conclude that we've had enough of church being all about learning and relearning, and that now we need to get doing.  And since we're not doing (enough?) on our own, we're going to use the 1st Sunday to counsel and assign some doing.  And apparently, a couple extra hours that we used to spend in meetings.

Alternately, they've discovered that a lot of folks don't bother watching GC, so the Lord is taking away what we weren't appreciating in the first place.

COngratulations @zil on reaching 5000 posts, almost all of which were written with a keyboard and not a pen :)

The number, nature and frequency of insights received during General Conference does vary quite a bit for me but even reminders are good. Additionally, even if I'm hearing what I've heard many times before, listening to the same stuff can still be a spiritual experience.  

14 hours ago, askandanswer said:

In recent years, there seems to have been several calls to hasten the work, yet one of the reasons given for halving the number of General Conference Priesthood sessions is to reduce and simplify the work of the church and the demands made on leaders and members. ( http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/general-conference-sessions-consolidated-april-2018?cid=HP_FR_27-10-2017_dPFD_fMNWS_xLIDyL1-B_) How can we simultaneously hasten the work while reducing the work of the church and lessening the demands on leaders and members? And is the goal of reducing the work of the church and the demands made on leaders and members really worth giving up the prophetic and apostolic inspiration and guidance so freely available in any General Conference session?

They are just reducing "drag" so we can move faster. When "quickened" by the Holy Ghost, each member and leader hastens that way! I think you will see the message getting out more frequently and effectively in the Church magazines and various online and other media communications.

On 10/31/2017 at 4:52 PM, askandanswer said:

Contrary to what some believe when they hear about our three hour church block and all the sessions of General Conference, meetings are not the work of the Church. And they aren't the only thing being reduced either. Handbooks, lesson manuals, temple rec interviews (now only every two years), and perhaps other things. Meanwhile the opportunities to act,  as @zil has pointed out, has increased. Temples, access to family history work, internet for sharing the gospel. I think the message is clear as to where the Lord wants us to spend out time.

Edited by laronius

On 11/1/2017 at 7:11 AM, CV75 said:

They are just reducing "drag" so we can move faster. When "quickened" by the Holy Ghost, each member and leader hastens that way! I think you will see the message getting out more frequently and effectively in the Church magazines and various online and other media communications.

I think this is a great point. While prophetic counsel is still critical the need to be directed by the Spirit is perhaps greater now than ever before. As has been pointed out, new doctrine is rare, and with the internet we have access to 187 years worth of scripture and prophetic commentary available to us. I think where we are really falling short, and I include myself in this, is our willingness to do what it takes to draw down the powers and personal revelations from heaven. In the days ahead this will become critical to our spiritual survival and all the meetings in the world can't fix this. I've sat through all sessions of GC before and got very little out of it because I was distracted and just not in tune to the Spirit as I should have been. I've also received great insight in 5 minute talks given by a youth. Just imagine how many problems would be solved in the lives of members if getting the Spirit became a top priority. If that were the case I think we would be approaching the fulfillment of Moses' expressed desire "would God that all the Lord’s people were prophets, and that the Lord would put his spirit upon them!" Num 11:29.

How can we simultaneously hasten the work while reducing the work of the church and lessening the demands on leaders and members?

I suspect it'll be back to the future, where living the gospel and living in the kingdom of God become ever more tightly coupled with just plain living in general, perhaps not unlike our ZCMI-forming Church ancestors. One possible way I could see this happening is if current social trends continue to marginalize those of us who reject the new societal orthodoxy. At some point, simple survival will require the formation of a network -- a subcommunity -- to support those ostracized by larger society. Not saying it will happen this way, just one possibility.

And is the goal of reducing the work of the church and the demands made on leaders and members really worth giving up the prophetic and apostolic inspiration and guidance so freely available in any General Conference session?

I think the point is that it's not a choice. I was as disappointed as anyone with the announcement of annual (rather than semiannual) General Priesthood and General Women's meetings. But the wording on the announcement from the First Presidency was unmistakeable: We're happy to announce this, and it's a very good thing. I believe them. I think it will be a good thing.

54 minutes ago, Vort said:

I was as disappointed as anyone with the announcement of annual (rather than semiannual) General Priesthood and General Women's meetings. But the wording on the announcement from the First Presidency was unmistakeable: We're happy to announce this, and it's a very good thing. I believe them. I think it will be a good thing.

That's pretty much how I feel as well. Disappointed, and somewhat surprised, but having no doubt that the First Presidency have been inspired in making this decision. 

On 10/31/2017 at 5:52 PM, askandanswer said:

In recent years, there seems to have been several calls to hasten the work, yet one of the reasons given for halving the number of General Conference Priesthood sessions is to reduce and simplify the work of the church and the demands made on leaders and members.

My first thought would suggest that hastening the work, and the number of General Conference Priesthood sessions are mutually exclusive. The increase in General Conference Priesthood sessions would not hasten the work either. The time now that would be spent on preparing can now be spent enticing, inviting, stakes and ward to hasten the work, which I would agree with @my two cents thought, "Given how many talks there have been on this and to see how few participate, dropping a meeting allows more time to pursue these critical endeavors. Hence, simplifying can enhance hastening."

How can we simultaneously hasten the work while reducing the work of the church and lessening the demands on leaders and members?

Our stake presidencies have been receiving training on "simply" our work, which I assume some people think simply means less work, which is always not the case. Simply often means the same amount of work but it more focused and provides better results. The important aspects are magnified.

We simplify and hasten the work by magnifying what will produce our intended desires, while removing work load that is not necessary. What is essential, magnify and simply, and then move forward.

And is the goal of reducing the work of the church and the demands made on leaders and members really worth giving up the prophetic and apostolic inspiration and guidance so freely available in any General Conference session?

I do not believe we will miss out on any "prophet and apostolic" inspiration and guidance; although, we will miss out on other general authority talks. Prophetic and apostolic guidance and inspiration will remain as we have now (in light of one or two talks a year isn't going to loose any needed inspiration to hasten the work).