Kicked out of all scouting events

Darroll casey

I am a parent of 2 cub scouts. I have volunteered ever since my oldest was a tiger. He is now a bear, I applied to be an assistant den leader. Well the committee chair said I was approved. Then I never his the fact that I served 7 years for selling drugs 13 years ago. Well got a letter in mail. Saying I can not have any involement in any scouting activities. Cent even attend meetings. Now I get drug tested several times a year for my job. Which I have had for years. My troubled past was before I even had kids. All the parents in the den trust me and except my past for what it is. That was my only major crime on my record. And I completed treatment and rehab. I am not too happy with the the scouts right now.. 

As you noted, two different and distinct groups here:
1. Official Scouting Organization
2. Parents (not part of the Official Scouting Organization)

Group 1 has requirements that must be met in order to be involved in their organization. While group 2 might be welcoming and happy to have you on board, ultimately it has no bearing on Scouting policies. They would have not run an actual background check on your Social Security number at the level of Committee Chair. I would guess that had you applied for an actual official position when your oldest was a tiger, they would have caught the background stuff then.

Personally, I see it as you got to volunteer in an organization for a while where you probably (according to Scouting policy) shouldn't have been allowed to serve in the first place. Perhaps look at the positive that you got to help while you could, but those days are done as far as Scouting is concerned.

Outside of Scouting, there are other activities that would probably welcome your help.

Unfortunately, there are some lasting consequences to bad choices.  You stumbled upon one of them.  You're probably gonna stumble upon more of them in your lifetime. 

That's why we try our very best to teach our children not to experiment with these things even as we teach them they have free agency.

13 hours ago, Darroll casey said:

Well the committee chair said I was approved.

From 2003, 'New screening for Boy Scout volunteers' Desert News:

They also answer questions relating to the use of illegal drugs, criminal convictions, child abuse and if their driver's license has ever been revoked.

Applications come to the council office and are forwarded to BSA headquarters for the background check by ChoicePoint.

Committee Chair is council level only, then off to the BSA for the real background check.

Guest MormonGator

Oh Dude, I am so sorry to hear that. I can't relate to the scouts part-I don't have kids and was never a scout. But my heart breaks for you right now. The worst part about this is that you seem like a great guy who the scouts would be very proud to have. I'm reminded of Paul of Tarsus here. He killed and persecuted Christians but was still vital to church growth in the first century. He was forgiven and it was never brought up again-and you should be too.You've been clean and sober for years now, like you said you get tested for your job. What you did in the distant past doesn't matter. 

Again, I am just so sorry you are going though this

Edited by MormonGator

Past crap impacting present day.  I feel for you, brother.  The Lord promises a perfect blend of justice and mercy, where we can be absolved of our sins through the atonement, where all hurts and injuries are made whole.  Good old fashioned human attempts however, are a poor substitute.

When folks entrust their kids to an organization that promises to instill them with morals and character and whatnot, that organization is going to take steps to make sure they keep out the convicted felons.  Because while you may be a fully repentant good man who has turned your life around, the next five felons in line are a legitimate risk.  God gets to do the whole "garments washed white through the blood of the lamb" thing - humans give each other warning marks that follow you around for life.  

How in the heck did you do 7 years for dealing drugs?  My kiddie-abusing BiL only did 5.   Are the sentencing guidelines that far out of whack, or did you have parole issues, or what?

Guest MormonGator
1 hour ago, NeuroTypical said:

How in the heck did you do 7 years for dealing drugs?  

Depends on the drug, the quantity, who you are dealing to, what the prosecutor had for breakfast....things like that.  I'm not a lawyer, it's just what I've seen. 

16 hours ago, Darroll casey said:

I am a parent of 2 cub scouts. I have volunteered ever since my oldest was a tiger. He is now a bear, I applied to be an assistant den leader. Well the committee chair said I was approved. Then I never his the fact that I served 7 years for selling drugs 13 years ago. Well got a letter in mail. Saying I can not have any involement in any scouting activities. Cent even attend meetings. Now I get drug tested several times a year for my job. Which I have had for years. My troubled past was before I even had kids. All the parents in the den trust me and except my past for what it is. That was my only major crime on my record. And I completed treatment and rehab. I am not too happy with the the scouts right now.. 

Just curious.  Who is the sponsor organization for your cub scout pack?  This is not an LDS pack.  Where do you attend?

Is this the same pack as when your oldest was a tiger?

Edited by Guest

58 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

Just curious.  Who is the sponsor organization for your cub scout pack?  This is not an LDS pack.  Where do you attend?

Is this the same pack as when your oldest was a tiger?

Are LDS packs different?  Would he be accepted at an LDS pack?  

Personally, I won't send my children to scouts.

1 hour ago, Grunt said:

Personally, I won't send my children to scouts.

Yes and no.  I started my post with "just curious" because it probably wouldn't have made a difference.  But I was curious why someone in a non-LDS pack would be talking about this in an LDS forum.

Tiger cubs are younger than 8 years old.  LDS packs don't start their boys until 8 years old.  Thus, we have no Tiger cubs in our packs.

Guest MormonGator
1 hour ago, Grunt said:

I was involved with the Scouts for like three months in my old ward. They accepted me and no one said anything about the tattoos and long hair. They didn't make me take off my earring either. 

Guest MormonGator
3 minutes ago, Grunt said:

Can you wear an earring as LDS?

No one cared. The biggest misconception out there is that LDS will kick you out with tattoos or if you don't look like you a missionary. I took a friend to church one who was a face tattoo and no one cared about that either. Or if they did care, they didn't say anything. 

Edited by MormonGator

5 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

No one cared. The biggest misconception out there is that LDS will kick you out with tattoos or if you don't look like you a missionary. I took a friend to church one who was a face tattoo and no one cared about that either. Or if they did care, they didn't say anything. 

One of our Priesthood Quorum Counselors has head tattoos.  He's a great guy.  I've just never seen an earring.

Guest MormonGator
1 minute ago, Grunt said:

One of our Priesthood Quorum Counselors has head tattoos.  He's a great guy.  I've just never seen an earring.

I think (and it's just my subjective, personal opinion) that it depends on the demographics of the ward. An older ward in the country will almost certainly have a problem with earrings, tattoos, long hair, women working, etc. A younger ward in the city probably won't care at all. 

12 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

I think (and it's just my subjective, personal opinion) that it depends on the demographics of the ward. An older ward in the country will almost certainly have a problem with earrings, tattoos, long hair, women working, etc. A younger ward in the city probably won't care at all. 

Women working?  I couldn't imagine my spouse without her career.

Guest MormonGator
5 minutes ago, Grunt said:

Some older LDS men might (key word, might) have a problem with women working. I've seen some working women say that. If I'm wrong, great.  

36 minutes ago, Grunt said:

LDS folks/faith value family and God above career.  There is a balancing act when it comes to work vs family, especially with pre-school aged kids.  In the ~1980's there was a big push to "hey ladies, don't just drop your kids off at day care all day long-- they're still your kids and family is more important than work".  

There are some folks who interpret this putting family first as a mom shouldn't work out of the home at all, at that does indeed work for some families.   But that's not the blanket advice from church leadership, especially now with social-economic things being the way they are.  In fact, Elder Ballard just addressed that at BYU last week -- the exact word-for-word question my little sister asked him!    They also talked about it in the Face2Face broadcast last night.

For myself, I'm the working parent (finishing my phD) and Mr. Jane Doe is the stay-at-home daddy/house keeper.  It's how things work for us, and has been something frequently discussed/prayed about as we continue to roll with life's punches.

Edited by Jane_Doe

1 hour ago, MormonGator said:

There's this gentleman in my ward who has his share of tattoos. From his "wild youth."

He was introduced to the church by his MMA instructor, a good, God-fearing faithful Mormon who, and I quote, "would have been excommunicated from the Church if the Church excommunicated for terrifying appearances." Apparently he was just covered in tattoos and piercings. Ward Gentleman said they once had fun scaring hooligans away from a car after taking their wives and kids to a Disney movie.

Guest MormonGator
2 minutes ago, Backroads said:

There's this gentleman in my ward who has his share of tattoos. From his "wild youth."

He was introduced to the church by his MMA instructor, a good, God-fearing faithful Mormon who, and I quote, "would have been excommunicated from the Church if the Church excommunicated for terrifying appearances." Apparently he was just covered in tattoos and piercings. Ward Gentleman said they once had fun scaring hooligans away from a car after taking their wives and kids to a Disney movie.

My tattoos scream "obsessive geek" rather than "terrifying appearance". One of my tattoos is the Atari logo. Not going to intimidate anyone with that one. 

Edited by MormonGator

4 hours ago, Grunt said:

Well, looks like we're going JW!

Chill! In my ward the bishop’s wife is applying for jobs in a different country - long commute. They have 5 kids. Here the wife is more likely to work than the husband.

My bishop tried to talk his wife into letting him be the househusband. She told him to forget it. 

3 hours ago, MormonGator said:

My tattoos scream "obsessive geek" rather than "terrifying appearance". One of my tattoos is the Atari logo. Not going to intimidate anyone with that one. 

I usually can’t tell at first glance what a tattoo is supposed to be—and I never look too long, lest I be accused of staring/gawking.

One of the incidental benefits of having done criminal defense work, is having finally been taught how to semi-gracefully ask about someone’s tattoo in an inoffensive way—just a gesture towards the tattoo and a casual “Did that hurt?”  I find people LOVE to talk about how much their tattoos hurt. ;) 

Guest MormonGator
11 minutes ago, Just_A_Guy said:

I usually can’t tell at first glance what a tattoo is supposed to be—and I never look too long, lest I be accused of staring/gawking.

I have heard the saying that if you look at a tattoo for five seconds and you don't know what it is, then it's a technically bad tattoo.  In my view the abstract tattoos might seem nice but I don't like them. Just my personal, subjective view. 

13 minutes ago, Just_A_Guy said:

just a gesture towards the tattoo and a casual “Did that hurt?”  I find people LOVE to talk about how much their tattoos hurt. ;) 

Oh yes, so true. It's like talking about battle scars. Remember that scene from Jaws? Where Hooper and Quint compare their wounds on the Orca near the end? Same thing. For what it's worth everyone has a different pain threshold. The back of my left arm was the most intense pain of my life-I almost tapped out. The one on my back? I barely felt it. I've also heard that scrawny little guys and college co-eds sit like rocks and the big football player guys either pass out or cry like babies. 

On 11/19/2017 at 9:01 PM, Darroll casey said:

I am not too happy with the the scouts right now.. 

Welcome to the club. . . dude I am sorry.  Life ain't fair and sometimes it just sucks.

You have turned your life around, totally different person and you can't be in scouts; meanwhile homosexual perverts and trangender weirdos are welcomed with open arms.  Welcome to Sodom and Gomorrah!  This world is jacked up . . . it sucks, but unfortunately there isn't much you can do about it . . .have you thought about Trail Life?