Why Modern Pop Music Is Scientifically BAD!

Guest MormonGator
7 minutes ago, zil said:

Said the guy who doesn't even like pop music.

Yeah, the guy in the picture is more of a big band type of guy. 

i'm genuinely curious.  

What is everyone's definition of pop music?  Wikipedia gives the following - which also sounds like it describes a lot of hymns - so i'm guessing there is more to it for most people.

Identifying factors include generally short to medium-length songs written in a basic format (often the verse-chorus structure), as well as common use of repeated choruses, melodic tunes, and hooks.

If that narrator is "antiquated", I'm in the grave already.  Good thing the cemetery has wifi.

And a good argument for listening to a wide variety of musical styles.  (Already knew that one - good for the brain.)

Cowardly, lazy greed determines what the music industry creates.  That sums it up.  (Probably only the "cowardly, lazy" part is new.)

5 minutes ago, lostinwater said:

i'm genuinely curious.  

What is everyone's definition of pop music?  Wikipedia gives the following - which also sounds like it describes a lot of hymns - so i'm guessing there is more to it for most people.

Identifying factors include generally short to medium-length songs written in a basic format (often the verse-chorus structure), as well as common use of repeated choruses, melodic tunes, and hooks.

The video names several pop music singers.  Google defines it as: "commercial popular music, in particular accessible, tuneful music of a kind popular since the 1950s and sometimes contrasted with rock, soul, or other forms of popular music."

14 hours ago, lostinwater said:

i'm genuinely curious.  

Pop music is short for popular music.  Basically, it is the music prevalent in that era.  The style of pop music, therefore, changes as new generations popularize them.  Certain areas of the world also have their own styles of pop music.  Today, pop music is what you hear on your FM stations.  Kpop is short for Korean pop.  It's the style of music popular in South Korea.  Currently it resembles western music but more in line of Michael Jackson with a bit of grunge and a bit of rap mixed in by some artists.

Indie music is short for individual music.  It's like the opposite of popular music - it is more of a "cultish" thing.  You don't hear them on the FM stations.

On 6/6/2018 at 4:26 PM, Carborendum said:

Interesting video on the study of pop music over the past four decades.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVME_l4IwII

It's really worth looking at. 

The very nature of pop music has declined since the 60s and took a nosedive after the 80s.  No wonder I tend to not like music from anything after the 80s.

On 6/6/2018 at 5:20 PM, MormonGator said:

You've become this guy dude. 

h0B709A02.jpeg

But it isn’t a lack of talent, but a lack of need. The people that perform are actually pretty good at what they do. And the people that wrote the music know a LOT about music. But why would they write another overture or fugue and get paid $5,000 when they can make another ‘Payphone’ and make $300,000?

If us young bucks loved listening to ‘Raphsody in blue’ then I’m sure there would be more classical, big band and Jazz bands out there.

On 6/9/2018 at 8:45 AM, Fether said:

But it isn’t a lack of talent, but a lack of need. The people that perform are actually pretty good at what they do. And the people that wrote the music know a LOT about music. But why would they write another overture or fugue and get paid $5,000 when they can make another ‘Payphone’ and make $300,000?

If us young bucks loved listening to ‘Raphsody in blue’ then I’m sure there would be more classical, big band and Jazz bands out there.

Methinks thou didst miss the point.

It isn't about classical music vs rock music.  It's about innovative (still very good and likable) rock music vs. cookie cutter rock music.

Imagine a world without Elvis or the Beatles.  No Michael Jackson, no Hall & Oats (and for Gator and Mirkwood) Kiss, Iron Maiden, no Simon & Garfunkel.  That's what we will have from now on.  Nothing innovative.  We've effectively stopped the evolution of rock music.

It's not that these other artists were bad.  They were fantastic.  it's not like they never sold albums.  They sold tons.  It's that we're never going to see their like again.

Oh

13 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

It isn't about classical music vs rock music.  It's about innovative (still very good and likable) rock music vs. cookie cutter rock music.

Imagine a world without Elvis or the Beatles.  No Michael Jackson, no Hall & Oats (and for Gator and Mirkwood) Kiss, Iron Maiden, no Simon & Garfunkel.  That's what we will have from now on.  Nothing innovative.  We've effectively stopped the evolution of rock music.

It's not that these other artists were bad.  They were fantastic.  it's not like they never sold albums.  They sold tons.  It's that we're never going to see their like again.

But it isn’t like Rock has always existed. It came as African music, became Jazz/a blues, then Rock. Now that had broken off into hip-hop, alternative, metal, pop, indie rock, country, etc.

Its evolving, but just to other things. Listen to Casey Abrhams, Matt Kearney, Walk off the Earth, Owl City even. Ed Sheeran is doing some cool stuff with it, we got sweet accapella groups like Home Free.

Then you have groups like Set it Off, Panic at the Disco and other guys like them that put funky non-instrumental effects to their music.

Dub-Step, electro-swing, electronica. All have roots in rock.

Then therebare groups like Mohave Nomads that have a very unique sound.

There is plenty of innovation.

20 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

@Fether's got a point that the commerce of music dictates the future.  Both my kids are anti-pop.  I like some Taylor Swift, et. al., for karaoke and my kids would flee the room complaining about getting ear cancer.  Their best friends listen to "my music" (as in, 80's big hair rock and even Duran duran) and wouldn't touch anything newer than Nirvana.  So, maybe their influence would change the genre on the FM stations.  My music kid could make a career out of producing pop music but he refuses to get into that field - he thinks his musical creativity is better served producing movie and video game soundtracks and sound effects.  

1 hour ago, anatess2 said:

That are not pop music.

Nor in Rock if we are looking at just genres, but both pop and rock have given birth to other genres that will innovate for a while and then give birth to another genre. Which, if you ask me, is exactly what innovation is.

Edited by Fether

33 minutes ago, Fether said:

Nor in Rock if we are looking at just genres, but both pop and rock have given birth to other genres that will innovate for a while and then give birth to another genre. Which, if you ask me, is exactly what innovation is.

Did you watch the OP's video?

My tastes in music has gone way overboard eclectic freaky in the last 5 years. 

I enjoy music that hasn't been released yet, by bands that don't really exist in any formal sense.  My stuff comes from bandcamp and soundcloud and whatnot.

Two things that has me like music - meta, and bass.  My current favorites are retro covers, of fanmade dubstep tunes, from a group hired to do the background music, for an unreleased video game in production, by a group making a crossover of Fallout and My Little Pony.  That's, like, five or six levels of meta.  Goosbumps, I tell you.  What cements it for me, is the group had a member die, and they released a song set in that universe, sung by characters that will be in that game, commemorating the guy who died. 

The only thing my beater car has going for it, is good gas mileage, and speakers that make the rear view mirrors vibrate to the beat.  Bvv bvv-bvv Bvv, Bvv.

I sound like a teenager. That's ok - nobody has to listen to the stuff I like but me.

Edited by NeuroTypical

Guest MormonGator
On 6/11/2018 at 1:17 PM, Carborendum said:

LOL! No Kiss or Iron Maiden? Those are two bands in my top ten. Love em. 

Two of my current favorite bands are The Struts and Night Demon. Bands that were both formed in the last few years. My personal tastes in music haven't changed, but I keep discovering new bands. 

2 hours ago, MormonGator said:

LOL! No Kiss or Iron Maiden? Those are two bands in my top ten. Love em. 

Two of my current favorite bands are The Struts and Night Demon. Bands that were both formed in the last few years. My personal tastes in music haven't changed, but I keep discovering new bands. 

50 minutes ago, mirkwood said:

*Can't tell if the Funkel brothers are being serious or trying to keep their cover*

Guest MormonGator
9 hours ago, mirkwood said:

All Rush all the time...what could possibly wrong with that?

Speaking of Rush and music....

Johnny Ramone would listen to the other Rush sometimes just to irritate the other members of the band during long van trips.