What Would You Do? LDS vs. Homosexuality

pwrfrk

i'd never say never.  But, i most definitely wouldn't take @NeuroTypical up on his bet.  That is one i think he would win.  

And please scour these sources.  There's a lot of false claims out there - which is really sad.  i want to make sure i'm not spreading lies inadvertently.

"Shall I tell you the law of God in regard to the African race? If the white man who belongs to the chosen seed mixes his blood with the seed of Cain, the penalty, under the law of God, is death on the spot. This will always be so. "

- Brigham Young, JoD Vol 10, Page 110

http://jod.mrm.org/10/104

In short, as far as the common comforts of life, salvation, light, truth, enjoyment, and understanding are concerned, the Black African has precisely the same privilege as the white man. But they cannot share in the Priesthood; they cannot bear rule; they cannot bear rule in any place until the curse is removed from them; they are a “servant of servants.” 

When the Lord God cursed old Cain, He said, “Until the last drop of Abel’s blood receives the Priesthood, and enjoys the blessings of the same, Cain shall bear the curse;” then Cain is calculated to have his share next and not until then; consequently, I am firm in the belief that they ought to dwell in servitude.

I would like masters to behave well to their servants, and to see that every person in this territory is well used. When a master has a Negro and uses him well, he is much better off than if he was free. As for masters knocking them down and whipping them and breaking the limbs of their servants, I have as little opinion of that as any person can have; but good wholesome servitude, I know there is nothing better than that.

http://mit.irr.org/brigham-young-we-must-believe-in-slavery-23-january-1852

2 hours ago, pwrfrk said:

If....

The LDS were to "legalize" homosexuality and make it permissible for homosexuals to get temple recommends and hold positions in branch/ward-stake-area leadership....

Would that make the church more of a True Church, or less of one?  And why?

Less. Because it would be openly legitimizing sinful conduct. Duh.

What a stupid question.

53 minutes ago, lostinwater said:

i'd never say never.  But, i most definitely wouldn't take @NeuroTypical up on his bet.  That is one i think he would win.  

And please scour these sources.  There's a lot of false claims out there - which is really sad.  i want to make sure i'm not spreading lies inadvertently.

"Shall I tell you the law of God in regard to the African race? If the white man who belongs to the chosen seed mixes his blood with the seed of Cain, the penalty, under the law of God, is death on the spot. This will always be so. "

- Brigham Young, JoD Vol 10, Page 110

http://jod.mrm.org/10/104

In short, as far as the common comforts of life, salvation, light, truth, enjoyment, and understanding are concerned, the Black African has precisely the same privilege as the white man. But they cannot share in the Priesthood; they cannot bear rule; they cannot bear rule in any place until the curse is removed from them; they are a “servant of servants.” 

When the Lord God cursed old Cain, He said, “Until the last drop of Abel’s blood receives the Priesthood, and enjoys the blessings of the same, Cain shall bear the curse;” then Cain is calculated to have his share next and not until then; consequently, I am firm in the belief that they ought to dwell in servitude.

I would like masters to behave well to their servants, and to see that every person in this territory is well used. When a master has a Negro and uses him well, he is much better off than if he was free. As for masters knocking them down and whipping them and breaking the limbs of their servants, I have as little opinion of that as any person can have; but good wholesome servitude, I know there is nothing better than that.

http://mit.irr.org/brigham-young-we-must-believe-in-slavery-23-january-1852

“a man who has has the Affrican blood in him cannot hold one jot nor tittle of preisthood; Why? because they are the true eternal principals the Lord Almighty has ordained, and who can help it, men cannot. the angels cannot, and all the powers of earth and hell cannot take it off, but thus saith the Eternal I am, what I am, I take it off at my pleasure, and not one partical of power can that posterity of Cain have, until the time comes the says he will have it taken away. That time will come when they will have the privilege of all we have the privelege of and more.”

http://www.utlm.org/onlineresources/sermons_talks_interviews/brigham1852feb5_priesthoodandblacks.htm

this too

3 hours ago, pwrfrk said:

If....

The LDS were to "legalize" homosexuality and make it permissible for homosexuals to get temple recommends and hold positions in branch/ward-stake-area leadership....

Would that make the church more of a True Church, or less of one?  And why?

How would it affect you and the roles you currently have in church?

I ask this because now homosexuality is a big mess, nationally.  And back in the 70's race was a big mess as well, and the Church opened its doors to non-whites.  What keeps that from happening now?  And if it did, what would you do?

Women are more likely to obtain the priesthood than practicing homosexual relations to no longer be seen as apostate behavior.

Guest MormonGator
1 minute ago, Anddenex said:

Women are more likely to obtain the priesthood than practicing homosexual relations to no longer be seen as apostate behavior.

That would cause a schism too, in my view. 

Guest MormonGator
2 minutes ago, Anddenex said:

Yes, I think for some for sure.

Yup. The money comes from the conservative/orthodox members. If they church ordains women or approves of gay marriage (Btw, I would love to see both of those things happen) conservative/orthodox members will break away. The church knows this. 

Edited by MormonGator

11 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

Yup. The money comes from the conservative/orthodox members. If they church ordains women or approves of gay marriage (Btw, I would love to see both of those things happen) conservative/orthodox members will break away. The church knows this. 

Well MG, I am not surprised. Gators eat their own offspring, so loving to see these things happen isn't a stretch. ;)

Yes, I would say the Church does; although, history would say the Church doesn't appear to be so much concerned with a falling away if the Lord commands something. This same statement could be made when polygamy was introduced in the 1800s. The same when it was prohibited, banned. The same for blacks receiving the priesthood.

The question we have to ask, is the Church following revealed doctrine. One of the options mentioned doesn't negate any revealed doctrine, policy, or practice save that it has never been done, nor do we see any evidence saying it will. The other policy/doctrine would change "corruption" to "incorruption." This would be different shift and policy.

Guest MormonGator
9 minutes ago, Grunt said:

So, the suggestions here are that the Church follows the commands of God because they are afraid the money will dry up, not because God wills it?

lol. Yes, that was exactly what I was inferring.

19 minutes ago, Grunt said:

So, the suggestions here are that the Church follows the commands of God because they are afraid the money will dry up, not because God wills it?

I keep the commandments partly for the same reason ;) “follow the prophet, in this There is safety and peace” and “inasmuch as he shall keep the commandments, ya shall prosper on the land” are some incredibly motivating promises.

Guest MormonGator
6 minutes ago, Grunt said:

I know.  I find it odd that you wish for so many things that are in opposition to God's commands.

It wasn't what I was inferring at all, I thought your were kidding. 

40 minutes ago, lostinwater said:

As long as it's not just you who was laughing.

It sounds like that was the case (i hope).

Anyways, an apology from too-literal @lostinwater is needed, and meekly offered.  :) 

Even if I was the only one laughing, it just means I am the only one with a sense of humor. ;)

No apology necessary. There are plenty of jokes I don't find funny that other people are rolling. But thank you anyway. :)

Guest MormonGator
7 minutes ago, Grunt said:

I get lost in the sarcasm and HA HA HAs.

I'm English. My sense of humor is so dry that even I don't know if I'm being sarcastic.