AP news story about name change.

Guest MormonGator

• NeuroTypical changed the title to AP news story about name change.
Guest MormonGator
8 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

Why does it seem impossible to actually take a look at the AP Stylebook without handing over personal information and a credit card number?

Oddly though they'll address a transgender person how they want to be addressed. Isn't that strange?

1 hour ago, MormonGator said:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/mormon-leader-nicknames-faith-victory-satan-214903157.html

"The entry about the church in the Associated Press Stylebook, which many news outlets follow, remains unchanged." 

"...But then we ourselves haven't been enforcing it anyway, so it's rather moot."

Guest MormonGator
Just now, Ironhold said:

"...But then we ourselves haven't been enforcing it anyway, so it's rather moot."

In fairness to the non LDS world, the church up until August has embraced the name. Even having websites said "I'm a Mormon", "Mormon.org" and backing a movie called "Meet the Mormons." So no, I'm not saying President Nelson was wrong, what I'm saying is that I can understand 100% why non-LDS would find this odd. 

4 hours ago, lostinwater said:

So one question i have.

Acronyms -  like if i use TCOJCOLDS - is that offensive to anyone?  

i'll do my best to do whatever everyone prefers.  

Seeing as we are specifically avoiding removing the name of Christ from our church I'd say "The Church of Jesus Christ" would be the best abbreviation.

Edited by jerome1232

On 10/8/2018 at 2:15 PM, MormonGator said:

In fairness to the non LDS world, the church up until August has embraced the name. Even having websites said "I'm a Mormon", "Mormon.org" and backing a movie called "Meet the Mormons." So no, I'm not saying President Nelson was wrong, what I'm saying is that I can understand 100% why non-LDS would find this odd. 

AP writer Brady McCombs actually did a column once in which the term "Mormon" was the only term ever used. 

At no point did McCombs say *which* specific group he was referring to. 

That's how sloppy the AP's been. 

So when is MormonHub going to change their name on their website?  It is the counsel of the Prophet to not use this name.  I never liked the label of "Mormon."  My religion is to follow Christ.  I never minded Latter-Day Saint as a Saint has the following definition:  "some any of certain persons of exceptional holiness of life, formally recognized as such by the Christian Church."

But I shall now say that I am a member of Christ's Restored Church or use the full name Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.