Likes to Posts Ratio

clbent04

43 minutes ago, Vort said:

I checked this out, and pam is correct, big-time. In checking my own history, my earliest recorded post on which I have a "Like" of any sort is this one from an October 8, 2013 thread that I actually started:

This is my 9,635th-most-recent post (including this one), which is less than half my recorded post total. All "Like"s of any sort before that period were wiped out. And even this is still deceptive, because on this same thread, I have a post here: 

where I mention Wingnut being the only one who "Like"d a previous post of mine—but that post has no "Like"s on it of any sort, neither from Wingnut nor anyone else. That suggests that even on that thread, there are earlier "Like"s that got wiped out. In other words, at some point after December 18, 2013, all existing "Like"s got wiped out. Current "Like" totals only counts "Like"s given within less than the last five years. Maybe @pam has more information on this.

Moral: Even if you don't find "Like" contests quietly pathetic, you can't really compare them straight across without taking the above into account. Which sort of ruins everyone's fun. Which is my job on this board. You are welcome.

I can add this into my algorithm - I'm fairly sure likes are dated, so I can find the earliest like, and exclude all posts dated prior to the earliest like...  It'll have to be a bit more convoluted than that, since I can now go back to a 2008 post (for example) and react to it, but have no fear, I'll find a way to make this all meaningful.

11 minutes ago, zil said:

I can add this into my algorithm - I'm fairly sure likes are dated, so I can find the earliest like, and exclude all posts dated prior to the earliest like...  It'll have to be a bit more convoluted than that, since I can now go back to a 2008 post (for example) and react to it, but have no fear, I'll find a way to make this all meaningful.

Will someone please give @zil some data to play with?

7 hours ago, clbent04 said:

Lol. Do not fret, @pam & @Vort. Points for Fantasy-Football Third Hour will only be tallied on a prospective basis. And if it's any consolidation, I like both of you at the top of my own personal list!

The other thing is...I do numerous posts in a forum that is not seen by the general public.  It's another project I work on as do a few from this site.  Vort included.  When I post there those posts don't get likes because it's not a post that would generate one.  So again...just doesn't work.

2 hours ago, pam said:

The other thing is...I do numerous posts in a forum that is not seen by the general public.  It's another project I work on as do a few from this site.  Vort included.  When I post there those posts don't get likes because it's not a post that would generate one.  So again...just doesn't work.

I can account for that. ;)

FANTASY-FOOTBALL THIRD HOUR will begin tomorrow, 11/25/18, around 8 PM MST.  Anyone who wants to participate will pick the 5 users they believe will get the highest combined amount of likes (which for simplicity includes any emoji reaction to a post). Fantasy-Football Third Hour will run from 11/25/18 8 PM MST to 12/9/18 8 PM MST.

You can lock in your picks by posting on the new thread I created here before the starting time tomorrow, 11/25/18 8 PM MST. Goodluck!

Edited by clbent04

WOW....

This seems sorta of divisive.  If anything I would think the better method would be to see who GIVES the highest amount of likes (though I imagine I may be low on that list as well).

I appreciate the ability to like a post (as it shows support for a statement or other indication of one's thoughts on it without actually posting) but doing something like this seems to make it more into a popularity contest rather than something positive.

I'm not going to defend myself on this one, but I think it's a bad idea to frame it up like this topic wants to.

PS: I am ALWAYS against popularity contests like this topic is promoting, ESPECIALLY in a religious type setting.  It causes a High School attitude and an "in" crowd and everyone else as an "outside" crowd.  NOT a fan of something like this.

I fully support the icon system that lets people like other posts or comment it with symbology, but I DO NOT support the idea of popularity contests like this thread topic seems (or at least appears to me) to be promoting.

Edited by JohnsonJones

30 minutes ago, JohnsonJones said:

WOW....

This seems sorta of divisive.  If anything I would think the better method would be to see who GIVES the highest amount of likes (though I imagine I may be low on that list as well).

I appreciate the ability to like a post (as it shows support for a statement or other indication of one's thoughts on it without actually posting) but doing something like this seems to make it more into a popularity contest rather than something positive.

I'm not going to defend myself on this one, but I think it's a bad idea to frame it up like this topic wants to.

PS: I am ALWAYS against popularity contests like this topic is promoting, ESPECIALLY in a religious type setting.  It causes a High School attitude and an "in" crowd and everyone else as an "outside" crowd.  NOT a fan of something like this.

I fully support the icon system that lets people like other posts or comment it with symbology, but I DO NOT support the idea of popularity contests like this thread topic seems (or at least appears to me) to be promoting.

Lol. It’s just for fun. Similar to the recognition that has already existed on this website for quite some time that spotlights whoever gets the most likes in a day. 

I would be really surprised if that many people actually post purely out of motivation to get likes. Most people on here seem to be sincere with what they post and are simply sharing their honest perspective regardless of how it will be received. At least I can say that’s what I do! And it seems most posters on here are grown adults who wouldn’t let their likes reputation phase them... I would think! Lol.

It’s funny to think of a grown adult taking their likes seriously on some Mormon religious forum website. If so, maybe they really miss their glory days back in high school and are still trying to live the dream here. @JohnsonJones don’t worry you don’t need to dust off and start wearing that sweet looking, Fonzie-leather jacket you had back in the day. Continue posting in the PJ’s it’s all good brother

Edited by clbent04

3 hours ago, JohnsonJones said:

If anything I would think the better method would be to see who GIVES the highest amount of likes.

I like that. Partly for its merits and partly because I'm likely to do better, seeing as how my lowish posting frequency gives me fewer opportunities to be liked.

8 hours ago, pam said:

I'm in the category of who really cares?

I would hope we all are.  I just want some data to play around with. ;)  Data analysis ranks up there with logic puzzles as a fun way to spend a few hours.  (Yes, I know, I'm not getting the data.  Sigh.)

PS: Please don't like this.  I'm trying to lose.  I may have to have a 14 day forum fast.

Not to be a wet blanket (although maybe I ought to be since I didn’t even make the list), but isn’t this fantasy football league easily manipulated since those picking their top 5 can impact the ratio for those 5 by liking every one of their posts.

Btw, I won’t pretend to not care about my ratio.  It would warm my heart to get to 1:1.  I might even be willing to grovel a bit to do so. 😀🤪🤩