Giving To The Needy And Giving And Giving And Giving And Giving And Gi

a-train

'For the LORD your God is God of gods, and Lord of lords, a great God, a mighty, and a terrible, which regardeth not persons, nor taketh reward: He doth execute the judgment of the fatherless and widow, and loveth the stranger, in giving him food and raiment. - Deuteronomy 10:17-18

Isn't it intersesting that as we provide for our fellow men, we only administer the substance from the True Provider. We can no more provide for others than we can for ourselves. God is the Provider of all.

The scriptures are full of the notion that we are our brother's keepers. As I pass the many pan-handlers on the streets and see those sleeping in alleys I wonder if I am looking after them to the best of my abilities.

What rule can we use to measure whether we are giving enough?

Does it matter where or to whom we give?

Is there any hope for the end of poverty?

Should we feel guilty for living in centrally heated and air-conditioned homes with assortments of foods in freezers, refridgerators, and cupboards, watching cable and chatting online, while others sleep on concrete and eat whatever scraps are available?

Is chemical dependence and mental illness the real reason that the rich nation of America has homeless citizens? If so, what is the solution?

Can we really help the chemical abusers who live on the streets? What is to be done for them?

-a-train

Merry Christmas

I agree PC.

I remember there was a little boy that must have lived on the streets in dowtown San Diego. I would always see him by the trolley station on my way home for work. Usually when I worked the morning shift I would grab lunch from McDonald's on my way home. I would always buy an extra cheeseburger in case I saw the boy. I felt much better about giving him the food instead of money because I had no control over how it would be spent.

I tend to not give to many these day, not because I am a grouch but because I am barely keeping myself off the street. I would rather, like PC says donate to something that would help that person raise themselves out of the slums rather then give them only a one day supply of food, drugs, or drink.

I felt much better about giving him the food instead of money because I had no control over how it would be spent.

Yup thats the toughest thing about gifts of money, the choice is left with with the recipient.

One day I was whining about how the people on the side of the freeway would just buy beer with the money...and that if i did anything, I would buy them a sandwich.

My friend then asked, "Do you spend the money you get perfectly??" I responded, "at least I work for mine". He then asked gently,"Do you deserve what you have? have you earned all the blessings you have aren't we all beggars before god?''

He then explained that none of us spend our money perfectly, but the power that heavenly father gives us is choice. When god gives us our paycheck (that we didn't really "earn" BTW ) he is really giving us choice.... or choices. We are going to make WRONG choices, but he lets us make them any way. But HF STILL gives freely.

I then started to understand...(i would always say I would follow the spirit and give when it told me to) but in essence it was a lie to myself. I understood a fundamental truth of the gospel more, and could recognize when the spirit prompted me to give, and when not to.

The beggar is not technically under our stewardship, so trying to force him to make right choices with it, depending on how we do it, could be unrighteous dominion.

Anyway, some food for thought.

;)(the names and places have been changed to protect the guilty, any similarities to real life are purely coinciental ;) )

I felt much better about giving him the food instead of money because I had no control over how it would be spent.

Yup thats the toughest thing about gifts of money, the choice is left with with the recipient.

One day I was whining about how the people on the side of the freeway would just buy beer with the money...and that if i did anything, I would buy them a sandwich.

My friend then asked, "Do you spend the money you get perfectly??" I responded, "at least I work for mine". He then asked gently,"Do you deserve what you have? have you earned all the blessings you have aren't we all beggars before god?''

He then explained that none of us spend our money perfectly, but the power that heavenly father gives us is choice. When god gives us our paycheck (that we didn't really "earn" BTW ) he is really giving us choice.... or choices. We are going to make WRONG choices, but he lets us make them any way. But HF STILL gives freely.

I then started to understand...(i would always say I would follow the spirit and give when it told me to) but in essence it was a lie to myself. I understood a fundamental truth of the gospel more, and could recognize when the spirit prompted me to give, and when not to.

The beggar is not technically under our stewardship, so trying to force him to make right choices with it, depending on how we do it, could be unrighteous dominion.

Anyway, some food for thought.

;)(the names and places have been changed to protect the guilty, any similarities to real life are purely coinciental ;) )

I can understand where you are coming from here and it makes sense but when is enough, enough? When to we actually promote the begging and help build a trap for these brothers and sisters of ours to not escape from? Don't we also have to utilize the money and things we have from God with wisdom?

There's a difference between free agency and enablement. I can see where A-Train would be concerned about enabling detrimental behavior

Lets put sin in place of the homeless example. All have sinned also-correct? So do we never cry repentance or stand for right since that might be problematic? What does that mean for our justice system?

Let me share a story to illustrate what i'm trying to say. There was a situation that occured in our area. This man was going around scamming and robbing people. He seemed nice enough and all but he was a crook who'd rob you blind with a smile on his face. His wife and children were also criminals who were very capable of honest work but chose the crooked path. People who got robbed by this guy didn't bother to report it. Some felt sorry for him, others didn't want to go through the justice process because they would never get their money back, etc. So this man and his family kept going around hurting more people. He and his family approached us. They seemed almost like the typical LDS family minus a few children. We helped them out. They robbed us. Then we found out about the number of people who had done nothing. We knew we'd never get back what they robbed but we still pursued the matter so it would be on record. We were the first of a great number of people who actually went forward. This man started stirring up trouble for us then. We started to look like the bad guys because we pursued it. I'm not sorry we took this guy to court (and won a judgement against him btw). This was not just a simple bad choice. This had become the man's character and his family's. He built his whole life around scamming a place to stay, getting food, transportation etc.. on top of his theiving. It had become a game for him. People promoted his families behavior every time they gave him something for nothing.

I don't have to encourage detrimental behavior

It's hard to say "no" to the hand out. Yet, in our society, it is better to give to those agencies that teach the person to fish, rather than handing him the supply he needs for his next dose of poison.

I agree. This is probably the best solution. Put the money in the hands of the people commited to helping these people. I'm sure that a lot of people would just buy alcohol with it, and some wouldn't. But how do you know. Give it to the social programs designed to help. Volunteer your time at these places this season. Take them warm blankets and clothes. The company I work for gives donated food to over 27 families plus any extra money is used to buy hats and gloves for a local homeless shelter. If these people want the help, they can go to these shelters to get it.

<div class='quotemain'>

It's hard to say "no" to the hand out. Yet, in our society, it is better to give to those agencies that teach the person to fish, rather than handing him the supply he needs for his next dose of poison.

I agree. This is probably the best solution. Put the money in the hands of the people commited to helping these people. I'm sure that a lot of people would just buy alcohol with it, and some wouldn't. But how do you know. Give it to the social programs designed to help. Volunteer your time at these places this season. Take them warm blankets and clothes. The company I work for gives donated food to over 27 families plus any extra money is used to buy hats and gloves for a local homeless shelter. If these people want the help, they can go to these shelters to get it.

These are some good options. Having people seeking help from programs can be a protection for those who need help and for those providing it. The programs can better verify if there really is a need. Help is needed but help should be prioritized to those who need it the most.

It is known around these parts that there are a couple of pan handlers around here who have homes and doing pretty good They go out on the street and collect from people mostly out of towners and unsuspecting people. But they have given a bad name to those who really need the help. Chances are they would be less likely to go to a program that may ask for proof of need or who knows what is going on.

Its too bad the people that need the help have to go through all the hassles because of a few bad eggs :angry: .

Word to the wise- be careful on what agencies you give to. Some are better then others at using the resources they have wisely.

Pray for wisdom in all things.

'For the LORD your God is God of gods, and Lord of lords, a great God, a mighty, and a terrible, which regardeth not persons, nor taketh reward: He doth execute the judgment of the fatherless and widow, and loveth the stranger, in giving him food and raiment. - Deuteronomy 10:17-18

Isn't it intersesting that as we provide for our fellow men, we only administer the substance from the True Provider. We can no more provide for others than we can for ourselves. God is the Provider of all.

The scriptures are full of the notion that we are our brother's keepers. As I pass the many pan-handlers on the streets and see those sleeping in alleys I wonder if I am looking after them to the best of my abilities.

What rule can we use to measure whether we are giving enough?

I believe that's an individual decisions. Whatever you feel comfortable with.

Does it matter where or to whom we give?

Honestly, to me the answer is yes and no. I agree with those who give to the charities.

However, I have no problem in handing a "pan-handler" money, and letting her decide what to do what that money. In my opinion, she is a human being and it is her business what she does with the money that I have chosen to give her. I am not stupid as I am aware of what will probably happen to the money. Yet, there is no way of knowing for sure, and for all I know while she's buying her beer she's also buying baby formula. Bottom line, I think it's important to treat people as human beings, not things to be judged as beneath my contempt.

Is there any hope for the end of poverty?

I think it is possible, but I don't believe there is the will for it.

Should we feel guilty for living in centrally heated and air-conditioned homes with assortments of foods in freezers, refridgerators, and cupboards, watching cable and chatting online, while others sleep on concrete and eat whatever scraps are available?

I don't know if we "should"? I know that I do.

Is chemical dependence and mental illness the real reason that the rich nation of America has homeless citizens? If so, what is the solution?

Not the whole reason, but certainly a significant reason. Unfortunately, the current solution for chemical dependence is forcing one into an AA group, which only as a six percent success rate. Research is developing new therapies; however, there is little support for these endeavors as everyone asumes AA's success rate is much higher than it actually is. Additionally, blaming the abuser is always an "out" for people to refuse to alleviate any need to help these people who are in hell, admittedly because of their own bad choices. But there comes a time when it doesn't matter who made the bad choices. It is the now that matters, and doing nothing to help is also a bad choice.

The mentally ill have fallen through so many cracks they've have filled them in and it is obscene in this country not to treat these people who cannot function without the help of doctors and psychoatrists. I've seen it firsthand. Each subsquent cut in federal aid sends the subsequent neediest group out the door until the most ill, the schizophrenic who simply cannot function in the real world, have no where to get help. So to your question regarding the mentally ill, absolultely they make up a significant portion of the homeless.

The solution is to return the funding to these programs.

Can we really help the chemical abusers who live on the streets? What is to be done for them?

Of course we can. The real question is, do we want to?

-a-train

Merry Christmas

What a profound post, a.

Elphaba

Is chemical dependence and mental illness the real reason that the rich nation of America has homeless citizens?

No, they are only part of the poverty problem in America. However, many in these two groups are the hardest to help because they can be so resistive and combative at times. It is difficult to get some mentally ill individuals stabilized on medications that can help them. Affordable housing is difficult to come by all of the time, and especially so for these groups.

Religious outreach missions continue to play an important role in helping these people. In Salt Lake, the LDS Church has contributed financially to the St. Vincent DePaul (Catholic), the Archdiocese of Utah and the Salvation Army. It is well appreciated when individual Mormons also help with the manpower needs for these needy.

There is so much to do but we can try our best.

Is chemical dependence and mental illness the real reason that the rich nation of America has homeless citizens?

No, they are only part of the poverty problem in America. However, many in these two groups are the hardest to help because they can be so resistive and combative at times. It is difficult to get some mentally ill individuals stabilized on medications that can help them. Affordable housing is difficult to come by all of the time, and especially so for these groups.

Religious outreach missions continue to play an important role in helping these people. In Salt Lake, the LDS Church has contributed financially to the St. Vincent DePaul (Catholic), the Archdiocese of Utah and the Salvation Army. It is well appreciated when individual Mormons also help with the manpower needs for these needy.

Its unfortunate what happens in the cases of chemical dependence and mental illness. Many people who are chemically dependent have suffered some trauma or violence and the mentally ill do not choose to be out on the streets. The programs do not do enough to help these groups.

We personally know a few people in these categories who we have tried to help. It is an awful spot for these people to be in. I don't believe they choose this path conciously. Their families are burdened with the responsibility entailed. With the one person When they are on the medication they are alright. But its hard to get them to stay on it when they think they are doing fine. Once they are off of it its hard to get them back on because they aren't aware they need it and the system won't make sure they get it. They can't force someone against their will. So, Instead this person is unable to hold a job so has no money. They also have no medical insurance to pay for the medication they need. The family can't afford to support them. They stick around then disappear. They've been in and out of the hospital for a couple of days then tossed out onto the streets. They are alone and frightened until or if something brings them back to those they know. It's a tragic cycle. My heart really goes out to people in these situations. It's a frightening way to live :(

It's truly sad that more can't be done to really get these people the basic help that they need and that there aren't more practical options in place.

We are down to our frugal buttons & bows in America's Midwest. We gave cash and more cash during the 9/11 crisis. We know that it went to the rightful because when the need was fulfilled, they asked no more.

We sent truckloads of goods to the Hurricane Victims. We were asked to give bottled water again and again. We no longer have cluttered homes. The thrift shops operating charge much more for used products due to a lack of donations. It has become cheaper to shop at Walmart!

We are just overcoming our bottled water shortage but most of it is store brand water and name brands are still quite expensive. We drink a lot of tap water.

We have plenty of homeless shelters and programs and food banks. We do not encourage people to live in cardboard boxes commuting with grocery carts. There are many people too mentally challenged to stay in a shelter. The police are familiar with most of these people and check on them during harzardous winter storms moving them to warm shelters whenever possible.

We are not cruel uncaring people. We have all sorts of volunteer progams to get involved to provide services for others. We have Senior Services for the elderly so that they are not preyed upon by the "handyman."

Like most of the people have already stated, the homeless and needy have been taken care of and those on the streets are usually thieves and robbers. I think the kid at the trolley station might be a pick-pocket. There are just so many criminals waiting for us to sit down a laptop, iPod or cell phone while we fumble with our belongings.

I am glad that most of the fast food restaurants now take debit/credit cards because that is usually where the handout was standing because they knew we had to pay in cash before.

Our greatest challenge this year was handing out box fans during the heatwave this summer. And I pray that all of our volunteer utility workers and project habitat for humanity crews in California will be home for the holidays.

There are always exceptions. I believe there are 4 kinds of poor and each type has different needs - not all poor should be treated the same and seldom do the poor need money. Money is what those that do not understand give - especially in government.

The 4 kinds of poor.

1. The handy cap - mental or physical. They can never be on their own and require a life time of care.

2. Substance abusers - These have lost their tolerance and nothing anyone does will help until there is an inward change in the individual.

3. Those that live at the border line of economic stability. Any set back and they are sucked under. These are what most think of attempting to help back on their feet.

4. I call these the hobo. They could live within the economy but choose to drop out. Sometimes they are the pan handlers - but mostly they will not change - do not want to and like living as a begger.

Please understand that often someone is not just one of the above. If we are going to help the poor we ought to know more about them than that they need a hand out. But this is not for those that want a quick fix. We must be careful to help and not add to problems.

The Traveler.

"Because I have been given much, I too must give"

Follow what you feel is the right thing to do when giving. If your innermost feelings or promptings are telling you, don't give the guy on a corner money because he will drink it up, or he is a fraud and is making 60k a year pan-handling (I really do know of 2 that do this!), then don't do it. If your innermost feelings or promptings are telling you, this guy is weak from hunger, I have to let him get something to eat (even if he gets a bottle to go along with it), then do it or at least guide him to the soup kitchen.

But aren't we supposed to help anyone who comes to us and asks for it? Does it matter if they are in a bad position due to the consequences of bad choices they --or others they depended on --have made? -- it is their own fault? My husband says No, it doesn't matter. We are to help them. Doesn't necessarily mean we hand them a boat load of money (which we don't have). It means we help them in whatever way we can. We feed them, or we direct them to the food bank, we make telephone calls to places that can assist them with housing or employment. It generally takes a certain amount of humility to ask for help, and some people will be very prideful and let their families suffer rather than ask for help.

Telemarketing charity calls, now that is another matter entirely. . . .we rarely donate money to those groups unless they can send us information showing that a very high percentage of the funds go directly to the people the group is saying they help.

There are always exceptions. I believe there are 4 kinds of poor and each type has different needs - not all poor should be treated the same and seldom do the poor need money. Money is what those that do not understand give - especially in government.

The 4 kinds of poor.

1. The handy cap - mental or physical. They can never be on their own and require a life time of care.

2. Substance abusers - These have lost their tolerance and nothing anyone does will help until there is an inward change in the individual.

3. Those that live at the border line of economic stability. Any set back and they are sucked under. These are what most think of attempting to help back on their feet.

4. I call these the hobo. They could live within the economy but choose to drop out. Sometimes they are the pan handlers - but mostly they will not change - do not want to and like living as a begger.

Please understand that often someone is not just one of the above. If we are going to help the poor we ought to know more about them than that they need a hand out. But this is not for those that want a quick fix. We must be careful to help and not add to problems.

The Traveler.

I agree there are different types of poor. You suggest taht the handicap can never be on their own. But the mentally handicapped are thrown out on their own a lot. Resources are not available to help families. The law treats the mentally handicapped as though they can choose and understand everything. So it limits the help that can be given. For example the friend mentioned above will not stay on the meds because of fear of being poisoned. This person will not stay at the hospital, shelter or home. The family is getting no support whatsoever to keep this person off the street. Its unfortunate that these people can't be protected and that there aren't the resources to offer the basic necessities and safety needed. would you let a two year old roam the streets by themselves. Sadly thats almost what we are doing for some of these people.

That being said I'd hate to go back to the days where the physically and mentally handicapped were just locked away or were given no agency over their own lives.

Like most of the people have already stated, the homeless and needy have been taken care of and those on the streets are usually thieves and robbers. I think the kid at the trolley station might be a pick-pocket. There are just so many criminals waiting for us to sit down a laptop, iPod or cell phone while we fumble with our belongings.

I didn't see anyone else state this. If they did I must have missed it.

But I certainly did not say this as I don't believe it.

Elphaba

<div class='quotemain'>

Its unfortunate what happens in the cases of chemical dependence and mental illness. Many people who are chemically dependent have suffered some trauma or violence and the mentally ill do not choose to be out on the streets. The programs do not do enough to help these groups.

We personally know a few people in these categories who we have tried to help. It is an awful spot for these people to be in. I don't believe they choose this path conciously. Their families are burdened with the responsibility entailed. With the one person When they are on the medication they are alright. But its hard to get them to stay on it when they think they are doing fine. Once they are off of it its hard to get them back on because they aren't aware they need it and the system won't make sure they get it. They can't force someone against their will. So, Instead this person is unable to hold a job so has no money. They also have no medical insurance to pay for the medication they need. The family can't afford to support them. They stick around then disappear. They've been in and out of the hospital for a couple of days then tossed out onto the streets. They are alone and frightened until or if something brings them back to those they know. It's a tragic cycle. My heart really goes out to people in these situations. It's a frightening way to live :(

It's truly sad that more can't be done to really get these people the basic help that they need and that there aren't more practical options in place.

The situation with the most of the homeless people is relocation. States see caregiving as a means of boosting the job market. Profit companies recruit clients from anywhere in the US. These profit companies have a 90% failure rate. The clients (alcoholics, drug addicts, mentally challenged, and juvenile deliquents) are abandoned when the company closes. The only clients protected by law are those who are "wards" of the state.

Profit Companies include alcohol/drug rehabilation centers, group home facilities, and boot camps. It is not as if the families do not care, they have no way of finding these people. The families may not be aware that the company has closed for months or even years. Some Profit Companies continue to accept fees for the care of the clients long after the business is gone. The clients may have been moved from their homes in Arizona for example to Maine. It continues to be a huge disasterous problem especially with the outrageous number of boot camps.

Yes, they do need money, although in a different way than I suspect you meant.

As I mentioned above, I have seen, with each financial cut, a corresponding cut in the public mental health programs that keeps these people functioning, able to hold jobs, be productive parents, and able to have some semblance of happiness in their lives.

But with each cut, those doing the best are cut loose, and with the help they were receiving, all of the medical and psychological support that helped them to succeed is gone, and they regress to the point where they are no longer functional, and many end up disabled, therefore no longer contributing to the tax base, and in fact taking from it.

Therefore the cost/benefit of cutting this program shows it would have been better for the federal goverment not to have cut this funding in the first place.

But it doesn't stop there. The cuts happen again, and the next batch of patients go out the door, this time patients who are considered more severely ill than the last. Imagine how losing their treatment is going to affect them.

So, yes, they do need money. Not as a handout. But as a lifesaver to the programs that save their lives.

Elphaba

Lets put sin in place of the homeless example. All have sinned also-correct? So do we never cry repentance or stand for right since that might be problematic? What does that mean for our justice system?

Yes, but we do it under our stewardship. We would never haphazardly approach someone who is smoking at a bus stop and tell him to stop.

We do it through our callings, and as member missionaries.

How do we know when it is problematic? (giving to a bum) The spirit tells us. If we are in tune. We can't have the spirit as strong if we judge too harshly.

Perhaps thou shalt say: The man has brought upon himself his misery; therefore I will stay my hand, and will not give unto him of my food, nor impart unto him of my substance that he may not suffer, for his punishments are just—

But I say unto you, O man, whosoever doeth this the same hath great cause to repent; and except he repenteth of that which he hath done he perisheth forever, and hath no interest in the kingdom of God.

For behold, are we not all beggars? Do we not all depend upon the same Being, even God, for all the substance which we have, for both food and raiment, and for gold, and for silver, and for all the riches which we have of every kind?

We can be in two boats. Which will the Lord be more hard on?

The ones who gave money/food, clothes to the substance abuser?

Or the ones who withheld because he brought upon himself his misery.... And would probably buy drugs with it anyway?

I personally believe we will be blessed for giving. Even if we make a mistake every once in a while.

I think of the story of the widow's mite She gave...and the pharisees/church she was giving her alms to was corrupt to the core, yet the Lord said she would be blessed.

Before his brain injury, my dad used to carry around a bunch of LDS pass-along-cards, and when he gave money to beggars or whatnot, he'd give them a card too and say that card was worth more than the money, because of the knowledge and blessings available to those who call the number on the card.

I've done that too. Feels good to give both money and a spiritual offering.

<div class='quotemain'>There are always exceptions. I believe there are 4 kinds of poor and each type has different needs - not all poor should be treated the same and seldom do the poor need money. Money is what those that do not understand give - especially in government.

Yes, they do need money, although in a different way than I suspect you meant.

As I mentioned above, I have seen, with each financial cut, a corresponding cut in the public mental health programs that keeps these people functioning, able to hold jobs, be productive parents, and able to have some semblance of happiness in their lives.

But with each cut, those doing the best are cut loose, and with the help they were receiving, all of the medical and psychological support that helped them to succeed is gone, and they regress to the point where they are no longer functional, and many end up disabled, therefore no longer contributing to the tax base, and in fact taking from it.

Therefore the cost/benefit of cutting this program shows it would have been better for the federal goverment not to have cut this funding in the first place.

But it doesn't stop there. The cuts happen again, and the next batch of patients go out the door, this time patients who are considered more severely ill than the last. Imagine how losing their treatment is going to affect them.

So, yes, they do need money. Not as a handout. But as a lifesaver to the programs that save their lives.

Elphaba

I will try something different here just for fun to see what comes of this. Do you understand how predators thin a herd and why this must happen? They do not kill the strongest or fittest. Since you do not believe in G-d and his intervention – are you concerned that many of the “weaker” of our species are artificially granted access (by miss directed society) to provide and sustain those weaknesses in the gene pool? Or do I see a reflection of G-d within you?

The Traveler

[i will try something different here just for fun to see what comes of this. Do you understand how predators thin a herd and why this must happen? They do not kill the strongest or fittest. Since you do not believe in G-d and his intervention – are you concerned that many of the “weaker” of our species are artificially granted access (by miss directed society) to provide and sustain those weaknesses in the gene pool? Or do I see a reflection of G-d within you?

No, you don’t. You see not a reflection, but my own humanity. I hope.

Elphaba

<div class='quotemain'>[i will try something different here just for fun to see what comes of this. Do you understand how predators thin a herd and why this must happen? They do not kill the strongest or fittest. Since you do not believe in G-d and his intervention – are you concerned that many of the “weaker” of our species are artificially granted access (by miss directed society) to provide and sustain those weaknesses in the gene pool? Or do I see a reflection of G-d within you?

No, you don’t. You see not a reflection, but my own humanity. I hope.

Elphaba

Now will you explain to me why your humanity (logic?) wants to "weaken" the human race - contrary to the natural forces of nature? I can understand the logic of protecting the weak for G-d and preparing for a life beyond mortality but without that logic - I see no point. I assume you took genetics in college.

The Traveler