Huge Advancement

mikbone

https://newatlas.com/spherical-aberration-optical-lens-solution/60937/

Lens spherical aberration has been solved!

https://arxiv.org/pdf/1811.03792.pdf

Original Scientific Paper above.

I bet within 5 years, cameras, microscopes, and  telescopes will become much improved and cheaper.

https://www.amazon.com/Televue-31mm-Nagler-Type-Eyepiece/dp/B00063G0U0

I have the above eyepiece for use with a telescope and it has a combination of SIX lenses to attempt to fix spherical aberration.

The new equation will allow construction of better eyepieces with much less glass. 

Cheaper & Better.

Give this guy a Nobel Prize.

2000 year old problem, with application to scientific and real world problems.

Imagine the benefit in selfies alone...

Edited by mikbone

I hope they have time to re-do the James Webb Space Telescope lenses.  (I’m actually thrilled that the whole project has been delayed now!)

And this would have solved the original problem with the Hubble...

Edited by mikbone

1 minute ago, Vort said:

Is this for real?

YES

I was in a binocular shop yesterday. They guy who owns the shop was torn.  The quality of scopes made will improve dramatically, but he may be out of a job within the decade.

Edited by mikbone

3 minutes ago, mikbone said:

YES

I was in a binocular shop yesterday. They guy who owns the shop was torn.  The quality of scopes made will improve dramatically, but he may be out of a job within the decade.

This is amazing. I suppose this may qualify as one of the truly great and lasting technological leaps of our lifetime.

56 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

pfft.  Anyone could have come up with this:

The formula: it looks extremely complex, and that's because it is. But there's a lot of repeating bits in there.

Seriously though, this is pretty cool.

Sometimes the person writing an article does not understand the complexity they are attempting to describe.  The article is specific to spherical aberrations - but there is another problem in optics that has to do with focusing multiple wavelengths of light.  Her is a link to a white paper concerning this problem (written in 1992):   https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/0022247X9290073M

The new equation may compensate for different wavelengths but I would have to spend significant time to break down the data in the corresponding articles to derive a suitable conclusion.

However, this is a breakthrough in applications other than standard optics.  For example this could allow for the development of invisible lasers that could do a number of things.  Like revolutionize cell phone communications bandwidth.  Improve death ray (laser) technologies.   Allow us to power a spaceship most anywhere in our solar system from earth so it would not need to carry fuel.  Also combining this tech with magnetic lensing it could possibly be a bridge to even better Klingon cloaking device dreamed up for Star Trek. 

The Traveler

15 minutes ago, Traveler said:

The article is specific to spherical aberrations - but there is another problem in optics that has to do with focusing multiple wavelengths of light.

That's "chromatic aberration", and is a separate problem, one easily solved using a reflecting surface (mirror) rather than a refracting surface (lens). Spherical aberration afflicts both, though.

17 minutes ago, Traveler said:

The new equation may compensate for different wavelengths but I would have to spend significant time to break down the data in the corresponding articles to derive a suitable conclusion.

According to the writeup, the paper that featured this equation considered only spherical, and not chromatic, aberration.

19 minutes ago, Traveler said:

Also combining this tech with magnetic lensing it could possibly be a bridge to even better Klingon cloaking device dreamed up for Star Trek.

Which I am confident is exactly what Messrs. González and Chaparro had in mind. (Though to be literal, magnetic lensing would have nothing to do with light-bending.)

This is pretty cool.  Perhaps I'll wait a few years and then get a DSLR like I've always wanted, IF they come down in price (doubtful).

I would like to see focus solved (not sure it's possible without multiple capture sensors and lenses).  If they could capture a full image and have the same level of focus in all areas of the image, that would be really cool.  Today this is accomplished with multiple lenses and digital stitching and is still not super common.

So, for those of us who are not experts in hard sciences...for everyday practical uses (and more towards my everyday usage)...will this have any implications on glasses and their lenses?

Even more importantly (as the time gets closer) for cataracts and the lenses they do there, will this have improvements or possible improvements?

8 hours ago, JohnsonJones said:

So, for those of us who are not experts in hard sciences...for everyday practical uses (and more towards my everyday usage)...will this have any implications on glasses and their lenses?

Even more importantly (as the time gets closer) for cataracts and the lenses they do there, will this have improvements or possible improvements?

Yes, I believe so.  Don’t quote me on this, and I have a question out to an eye doctor friend, but...

It won’t be such a huge advancement for glasses or contacts as we tend to focus with the sweet spot of the glasses passing the image (light rays) onto the portion of our retina with the densely packed area of photoreceptor nerve cells (macula & fovea centralis).  But it will greatly enhance peripheral vision and also make the sweet spot of the glasses much bigger (edge to edge).  We will probably see the biggest gain in bifocals and trifocals etc.  

It is a huge advancement for astrophotography because images that the telescope and CCD (image sensor) produce will now be able to have edge to edge focusing.  Previously the periphery of the image was out of focus.  

This is a big problem because the majority of the image is in the periphery, take for example a circular image with a radius of 10.  The area of the central half is 3.14x5^2 or 78.5   vs

the outer half

3.14.10^2 -78.5  or 235.5

thus 3x the area is in the peripheral half of the field of view.

Edited by mikbone

1 hour ago, mikbone said:

It won’t be such a huge advancement for glasses or contacts as we tend to focus with the sweet spot of the glasses passing the image (light rays) onto the portion of our retina with the densely packed area of photoreceptor nerve cells (macula & fovea centralis).  But it will greatly enhance peripheral vision and also make the sweet spot of the glasses much bigger (edge to edge).  We will probably see the biggest gain in bifocals and trifocals etc.

I doubt this specific development will have any significant impact on human vision correction, and probably not too significant for cameras and cell phones. But it will revolutionize optics, e.g. telescopes, microscopes, even binoculars, maybe even (perhaps most exciting) telecommunications—and, hey, who knows, maybe even photonics (in the sense of supercomputing-type applications).