marge

Come Follow me 2020!

Recommended Posts

I'm not LDS but my New years resolution is to stick to come follow me for the year, and its on the book of mormon, which is perfect, because I really should read the whole book.

Anyone else excited for come follow me this year?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great goal @marge, I'm excited for you. I too am excited for the Book of Mormon - Come Follow Me 2020.
You may already be aware, but if not, there are a series of Book of Mormon Videos released by the Church to help in your studies.
The videos can be accessed in chronological order (click here)
Below is a trailer, enjoy!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, NeedleinA said:

Great goal @marge, I'm excited for you. I too am excited for the Book of Mormon - Come Follow Me 2020.
You may already be aware, but if not, there are a series of Book of Mormon Videos released by the Church to help in your studies.
The videos can be accessed in chronological order (click here)
Below is a trailer, enjoy!

 

thank you so much, I've seen some of them on youtube, but get confused on the order so that playlist on the church's website is great

Edited by marge
more info

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I personally do not like to read the Book of Mormon chronologically by myself anymore because I feel I do not get much out of it.  It is much better for me to read with other people or by topic.  I've even pondered reading the Book of Mormon upside down to change my perspective.  This situation may exist with others and I hope you have spiritual experiences with the LORD as you seek to study the curriculum this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Still_Small_Voice said:

I personally do not like to read the Book of Mormon chronologically by myself anymore because I feel I do not get much out of it.  It is much better for me to read with other people or by topic.  I've even pondered reading the Book of Mormon upside down to change my perspective.  This situation may exist with others and I hope you have spiritual experiences with the LORD as you seek to study the curriculum this year.

I've read and studied the Book of Mormon cover to cover probably 40 times, always from front to back. I have done topical study from it, of course, but nothing is like starting with "I, Nephi...", and ending with "...the pleasing bar of the great Jehovah, the Eternal Judge of both quick and dead. Amen." Every time I read it, I gain new insights and rediscover old insights that I might or might not yet have noted in the margins. Every time, the spirit of that divine book touches me. I know people who have read the Book of Mormon probably twice as much as I have. They say the same thing.

I would not discourage topical study. Sometimes that can be useful and enlightening. But I would say that the very best way to read, study, and understand the Book of Mormon is by reading it front to back, as Mormon compiled it. My opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Still_Small_Voice said:

I personally do not like to read the Book of Mormon chronologically by myself anymore because I feel I do not get much out of it.  It is much better for me to read with other people or by topic.  I've even pondered reading the Book of Mormon upside down to change my perspective.  This situation may exist with others and I hope you have spiritual experiences with the LORD as you seek to study the curriculum this year.

I once attempted to read the Book of Mormon from cover to cover in one sitting while on a flight to Japan.  I got through Alma before I ran into difficulty staying awake.   I finished on the return flight.  There is something to reading on your own from cover to cover - for me - I noticed a lot of what I call spiritual connections.  This is where something that was a little vague was made more clear or something added later to a particular subject earlier.

 

The Traveler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Traveler said:

There is something to reading on your own from cover to cover - for me - I noticed a lot of what I call spiritual connections.  This is where something that was a little vague was made more clear or something added later to a particular subject earlier.

Yes.  Reading something non-stop allows us to retain more of the whole than if there are breaks between short bursts.  I've always found Isaiah easier to understand if I read it for hours straight rather than in short bursts (which yield little more than confusion).

This was brought home again last year when I decided to binge-read my favorite novel series - 19 books in 26 days - before the end, I was seeing patterns I'd never noticed before despite having read each of these books multiple times already.  My conclusion is that if you want to find patterns and connections, you need to read everything through as fast as you can (possibly faster).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe I found a mistake in the Come Follow Me 2020 Manual.  Read the below:

1 Nephi 9

Why did Nephi make two sets of plates?

The Lord’s “wise purpose” in having Nephi create two records became clear centuries later. After Joseph Smith translated the first 116 manuscript pages of the Book of Mormon, he gave the pages to Martin Harris, who lost them (see Doctrine and Covenants 10:1–23). But Nephi’s second set of plates covered the same time period, and the Lord commanded Joseph Smith to translate these plates rather than retranslate what had been lost.

=============================================

Read the below in I Nephi Chapter 9:  

3 Nevertheless, I have received a commandment of the Lord that I should make these plates, for the special purpose that there should be an account engraven of the ministry of my people.

4 Upon the other plates should be engraven an account of the reign of the kings, and the wars and contentions of my people; wherefore these plates are for the more part of the ministry; and the other plates are for the more part of the reign of the kings and the wars and contentions of my people.

The purpose of Nephi creating the two sets of plates were for different record types.  One set of plates was for the ministry and plain and precious truths.  The other set was for a temporal record.  The manual makes the mistake in assuming the 116 pages lost by Martin Harris were written by Nephi.  It was the book of Lehi that was lost in the 116 pages.

 

Edited by Still_Small_Voice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/31/2019 at 9:50 PM, marge said:

I'm not LDS but my New years resolution is to stick to come follow me for the year, and its on the book of mormon, which is perfect, because I really should read the whole book.

Anyone else excited for come follow me this year?

Marge, I'm excited that you're joining us!  I am so excited to read The Book of Mormon this year!!!  One of the things I find helpful is to make lists as I read.  What kinds of lists?  All things, most of my lists are serious like a list of what Lehi saw in his dream, and what steps Nephi took to be shown the same dream.  Sometimes my lists are silly things.  I think reading with a pen in hand ready to make a list...oh an ongoing list is Christ's names, another is angelic visitations...anyway I think interacting with the scriptures (the Bible too!) this way helps me learn more than I would have otherwise. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now