Recommended Posts

I have thought about this before.  But for some reason, the exact words eluded me, until I saw a basketball game recently.

That 75-yr-old protester drew the foul.  Just watch as he goes directly up to the police, stops abruptly 1-ft in front of them, refuses to move, then falls in a manner that could have been abated, but he didn't. 

Just watch the video and then watch

He meant to do that, and he just didn't realize the real world consequences of falling on purpose.  Or maybe he did.  But it was pretty clear he drew the foul.

Edited by Carborendum

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

@Vort,

I just heard about Seattle -- city hall getting stormed by protesters.  How's the local view?

I wouldn't know. I'm in a suburb ten or so miles east. I haven't worked in Seattle in some months, and in general, I'm happy not to have much to do with Seattle. @prisonchaplain or @LiterateParakeet might have insights.

Edited by Vort

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been giving my Seattle anarchist buddy a hard time for sitting on his rear end arguing with me on Facebook, instead of being out in neighborhoods organizing his revolution he's been wanting for decades.  He says things are boring except for a 10 block radius in Seattle.

Honestly, if Vort and my anarchist buddy loved me, they'd both go meet at a McDonalds and get in a big fight and both should send me pix of each other.

*sniff*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Vort said:

I wouldn't know. I'm in a suburb ten or so miles east. I haven't worked in Seattle in some months, and in general, I'm happy not to have much to do with Seattle. @prisonchaplain or @LiterateParakeet might have insights.

@Vort lives in the wealthier suburbs. :-) Down south, it is somehow easier to see Seattle. Perhaps the most precious insight is that the Seattle Public Schools superintendent has publicly stated that police and national guard are not welcome to stage on public school property. She fears that students, families and the community will not feel safe seeing law enforcement preparing on property dedicated to student learning and betterment. :tears:

Edited by prisonchaplain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

@Vort,

I just heard about Seattle -- city hall getting stormed by protesters.  How's the local view?

Hah hah.  It wan't "stormed" by protesters.  A councilwoman let them in with her key.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, prisonchaplain said:

@Vort lives in the wealthier suburbs. :-) Down south, it is somehow easier to see Seattle. Perhaps the most precious insight is that the Seattle Public Schools superintendent has publicly stated that police and national guard are not welcome to stage on public school property. She fears that students, families and the community will not feel safe seeing law enforcement preparing on property dedicated to student learning and betterment. :tears:

Wait... I thought schools are closed because of covid.

So... we solved covid?  Did Fauci get kidnapped or something?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, anatess2 said:

Wait... I thought schools are closed because of covid. So... we solved covid?  Did Fauci get kidnapped or something?

Oh...you mean you thought Seattle liberals need actual students to serve as props, when they want to virtue signal??? :rofl:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Vort said:

I wouldn't know. I'm in a suburb ten or so miles east. I haven't worked in Seattle in some months, and in general, I'm happy not to have much to do with Seattle.

Sounds like my attitude towards Houston.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

Definition of "to storm"

Yeah, there wasn't any forcefully or angrily... the councilwoman told them to meet up at the City Hall that night and she'll let them in.  It was more of a "meeting" than a storming done specifically for press photo ops.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

Compare to last month's armed mostly right wing "storming" or "being let in" to the Michegan state capitol. 

Your avatar was the perfect compliment to this post.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

Compare to last month's armed mostly right wing "storming" or "being let in" to the Michegan state capitol. 

I wonder...

The Michigan protest was armed.  Right wingers.  But not a single person was harmed.  No property damage reported.

The Antifa protests didn't have many firearms involved at all. Left wingers. The bodies keep mounting up.  The property damage is going into the $Billions now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/10/2020 at 9:33 AM, Carborendum said:

@Vort

I just heard about Seattle -- city hall getting stormed by protesters.  How's the local view?

I also live in a suburb, about 45 minutes drive from Seattle. I seldom go into Seattle.  But I did hear about this on the local news last night.

I think "storm" is an exaggeration (by Fox News). Because storm, to me implies violence and chaos.  But yes, thy are protesting in city hall. Apparently someone who had a key let them in.  They are standing about with signs.  (sorry the video is posted twice...same video.  I don't know how to fix it and I have to run.) 

(Fixed ~ mirk)

 

Edited by mirkwood

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, LiterateParakeet said:

I think "storm" is an exaggeration (by Fox News). Because storm, to me implies violence and chaos.  

Ok, I was going to let it go, but you're the second person to try to point this out.

I've posted the actual definition from the dictionary, not your personal version of what you thought it meant.  And I never saw any reports on Fox News regarding this.  But thank you for reducing me to a drone who only repeats what he hears. I thought you had a higher opinion of me than that.

I deduced from the fact that these were PROTESTERS that they must be, I dunno... angry about something.  So, when a LARGE GROUP of such people move en masse into a facility, it would be considered "storming".

Nothing we see in your videos changes that characterization.

Edited by Carborendum

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

Ok, I was going to let it go, but you're the second person to try to point this out.

I've posted the actual definition from the dictionary, not your personal version of what you thought it meant.  And I never saw any reports on Fox News regarding this.  But thank you for reducing me to a drone who only repeats what he hears. I thought you had a higher opinion of me than that.

I deduced from the fact that these were PROTESTERS that they must be, I dunno... angry about something.  So, when a LARGE GROUP of such people move en masse into a facility, it would be considered "storming".

Nothing we see in your videos changes that characterization.

Carb, this is the second time (in two times) that I have responded to you trying to be helpful and your response has been annoyed.   Do you have a problem with me, or is there something else going on here?

I wasn't aware that i was the second person to point this out...I didn't read the whole thread.  Vort tagged me and I responded....trying to be helpful.  

When I did a search to find the youtube video (to be helpful), I saw a headline from Fox News that talked about protesters storming city hall.   I specifically mentioned Fox in my post because it seemed more polite to suggest THEY were exaggerating the situation, than to put that on you.  I was trying to give you the benefit of the doubt.  

Again...I meant to help.  I don't understand why you would automatically assume otherwise. To quote you, "I thought you had a higher option of me than that."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/4/2020 at 10:13 PM, Carborendum said:

Well, apparently, there is now a new movement beginning (who knows how much steam they'll get) to defund the police entirely.  Gee, conservatives say defund Planned Parenthood.  And this is the liberal counterpoint?  

Celebrities are offering to bail out protesters, rioters, vandals, & murderers.  But they aren't offering to help any of the victims -- man of whom are minorities?

This is just plain madness.  Am I still on the planet Earth?  Am I still living in the Unites States?

Is it Bizzaro world where the one sane (even exemplary and thoughtful) celebrity is Kanye West?

This guy gets it.

I watch YoungRippa for his expertise on comicbooks but this political rant is on the money.  He's an ultra-libertarian.  As in - "we don't need national borders, we need private property borders and you build a wall on your own property" kind of libertarian.  He's also a fan of Malcolm X over MLK.

 

Edited by anatess2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, LiterateParakeet said:

Carb, this is the second time (in two times) that I have responded to you trying to be helpful and your response has been annoyed.   Do you have a problem with me, or is there something else going on here?

I am unaware of another time in recent memory that I was annoyed at you.  Are you sure it was annoyance?  The only other exchange I even remember was about the Mark of the beast.  And that wasn't annoyance.  It was,"Oh, I guess she didn't catch this.  I'll let her know."

Quote

I wasn't aware that i was the second person to point this out...I didn't read the whole thread.  

Fair enough.  But at least you can understand where I was coming from now.

Quote

Again...I meant to help

Help do what?  I'm not really trying to beat you down on this.  And after laying out the above points, I'm more puzzled than anything else -- not annoyed (anymore).

Remember I was asking about a local's take on the topic -- i.e. what are locals aware of that we are not hearing in the news?  And then you go to the news to find out what is going on?

That puzzles me.

Edited by Carborendum

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Just_A_Guy said:

You SURE you’re not a lawyer? ;) 

Sometimes I wish I were.  I'd make a lot more money.  I knew someone in a previous ward who changed careers and went to study law.  When he graduated, he got a job making very nearly $1MM /yr.  He had done some work with lawyers before.  And some of them were impressed enough that they told him that if he applied his skills to the law full-time and got his degree and license, he'd have a job with them.  He had no idea how much of a jump that would be.  But he was happy.

There is an awful lot of law in engineering.  People don't realize that when we read the building code or the mechanical code or the electrical code, these are CODES, i.e. LAWS.  We have to go through the careful study of each word and punctuation mark.  We also have to write specifications which are LEGAL DOCUMENTS.  We have to learn how to phrase things with the least degree of ambiguity and cover our butts for exceptions, exclusions, etc.

And, let's face it, there are enough jokes out there that engineers don't argue to come to a conclusion.  They just argue because they like it.

But FTR, what I wrote was sincere.

Edited by Carborendum

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

Sometimes I wish I were.  I'd make a lot more money.  I knew someone in a previous ward who changed careers and went to study law.  When he graduated, he got a job making very nearly $1MM /yr.  He had done some work with lawyers before.  And some of them were impressed enough that they told him that if he applied his skills to the law full-time and got his degree and license, he'd have a job with them.  He had no idea how much of a jump that would be.  But he was happy.

There is an awful lot of law in engineering.  People don't realize that when we read the building code or the mechanical code or the electrical code, these are CODES, i.e. LAWS.  We have to go through the careful study of each word and punctuation mark.  We also have to write specifications which are LEGAL DOCUMENTS.  We have to learn how to phrase things with the least degree of ambiguity and cover our butts for exceptions, exclusions, etc.

And, let's face it, there are enough jokes out there that engineers don't argue to come to a conclusion.  They just argue because they like it.

But FTR, what I wrote was sincere.

I'm old enough to have an adult kid... I've always been told by my relatives I should go into law because I argue too much.  My sister-in-law who is the same age as me and already a successful pediatrician just enrolled into law school last year.  I'm very very tempted. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Carborendum said:

Can someone please explain to me why the police officer in the Rayshard Brooks shooting was fired?

Because orange man bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Carborendum said:

Can someone please explain to me why the police officer in the Rayshard Brooks shooting was fired?

Unnecessary use of deadly force, if I had to guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now