random thought - "Fear Not The Reaper's Blade / It Does Not Mean The End"

Ironhold

This is a thought that came to me while tossing around some ideas in my head. 

For a sci-fi series, I had the idea of a character I have tentatively dubbed "The Undying One"

During a major space war, the character, who was born and raised on another planet, became cybernetically-enhanced to better fight the war during a critical period when it looked like the bad guys would win. This turned the tide, but it was his recovering a powerful and potentially magical / divine artifact that won the war... seemingly at the cost of his own life. Mortally wounded in the effort, he set his ship on a collision course for what at the time was a planet few even knew existed, let alone knew the coordinates of... Earth.

But while his body did cease to function, the combination of the cybernetics and the artifact did something even he doesn't understand that preserved his consciousness and spirit on Earth, and before long he found himself "reborn". He crashed in the desert, but it was near enough to a city. In the city was a woman who was pregnant with an infant that died in the womb and would have been stillborn. Instead, he took possession of the infant's body in a process that initially blanked his memory. Thus, he was born again, slowly remembering who he was and realizing that he was living a second life. 

As much as I want to tell a story with implications that'll leave the readers scratching their heads and debating, I do wonder what this would mean for church theology. 

He himself didn't actually die per se, but he has been literally reborn.