Loose House Cats

Traveler

10 minutes ago, zil2 said:

Kitty kept him company in his dying minutes.  Good kitty. :P

Lol! My mastiff would do the same thing as the cat, with an even bigger sense of entitlement. She’d wonder why no one is bringing her treats at the moment. 

The dal would jump in and save me by any possible means. In fact, she’d get a kayak and start paddling in two seconds. 

1 hour ago, LDSGator said:

Lol! My mastiff would do the same thing as the cat, with an even bigger sense of entitlement. She’d wonder why no one is bringing her treats at the moment. 

The dal would jump in and save me by any possible means. In fact, she’d get a kayak and start paddling in two seconds. 

Every animal has its own personality. :)  But apparently dogs are the only animals that understand human gestures like pointing - even our closest relatives (chimps) don't understand that one.  Evidence dogs were made for mankind.

Klaw has been studying up on Dungeons & Dragons and in this morning's play time practiced his "leap on Meowmy's back" attack.  Of course, I was sitting on the floor at the time, so it had little effect other than to make me laugh, but it was a good attack - arms spread wide, almost perfect to bite through my neck - if only his jaws were larger... :animatedlol:  Here's a picture of my kitty's D&D character:

KlawSaysCheeseDemonMode.thumb.jpg.d66bc4d46d1d0150ba20230a5a0bd127.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

We've had a successful week so far!  On Monday, I managed to get Klaw into his harness and play with him in hopes of distracting him.  This confirmed it's not restrictive, and he wore it for ~20 minutes.  Then, yesterday, he finally decided to figure out his treat puzzle (level 1 anyway, but previously, he wouldn't even try).  And finally, today after a trip down the street in his backpack, he seemed raring to go outside without the backpack, so I got him into his harness (much easier than previous attempts) and we went outside on a leash.  He stuck to the front porch and walkway, and the planting beds on either side of it, but it was a huge success.  We investigated bugs, ate some grass, and went "ekekekekek" at a couple of nearby birdies. :D   Little boy wouldn't let me take a picture of him from in front, so here are some not-so-good pictures of harnessed Klaw...

KlawOutside.thumb.jpg.89c6bec70023933c48fbc13b66dca6a9.jpg

Edited by zil2

This morning, my kitty learned to be brave.  This afternoon, he touched the treadmill (while it was at its slowest speed) for the first time, then slapped and poked at it with one paw a few times. :)  I'm sure eventually he'll go for walks on it (while it's on).

We went out again this evening.  I has created a monster!  Little boy doesn't want to walk in the grass, but we explored the driveway all the way to the gutter.  He made it quite clear that he wants to be free to roam and hunt like the wild panther he is. :D  I told him it was time to go home.  Once I had him in the house and out of his harness, he began meowing and exploring the front door, trying to figure out how to get it open. :) 

OK.  So, I put the claw covers on the cat.  I kept re-applying until he couldn't get them off.  Then I tried taking your advice to give him a scratching post and make a habit of him scratching it.  So, I got a really nice one and removed the claw covers.

Result after two weeks:

1) He claws at the post only when I scratch it.  As soon as I remove my hand from the post, he stops scratching.
2) He continues to claw people, furniture, and he took down the family room curtain.  I have to re-mount the rod supports.
3) He has sharper claws now.

I've also tried to make him an outdoor cat.  The training videos tell me to start with only 10 minutes at a time and eventually build up.

The problem is that he sits at the door long enough to scratch, then he goes and hides under some yard screens/nets in a corner of our yard and waits for us to bring him back in.

Also, if I put food out there, the ants are all over it before he can take a couple of bites (he's too busy trying to get back into the house).

Tinfoil or clear packing tape will keep him from clawing where you don't want.  (In theory, once he's used to clawing elsewhere, you can take the tape / tinfoil off.)

10 hours ago, Carborendum said:

The problem is that he sits at the door long enough to scratch, then he goes and hides under some yard screens/nets in a corner of our yard and waits for us to bring him back in.

It takes cats a long time to adjust.  If he doesn't want to go outside and run free automatically (strange that he doesn't), then it could be that he doesn't yet feel safe at all.  It takes 3 days for them to get over the initial shock of a new environment, 3 weeks to start to feel comfortable, and 3 months to feel confident.  Perhaps it's too soon or there have been too many changes for him to be anything but scared.  If he's started to bond with one of the family, having them sit outside with him should give him more confidence to explore.

10 hours ago, Carborendum said:

Also, if I put food out there, the ants are all over it before he can take a couple of bites (he's too busy trying to get back into the house).

I'm sure you don't need me to tell you how to keep ants out - food on a table (or similar), not the ground, possibly moats (bowls of water?) around / under the legs (though I suppose that would create mosquito problems, and now that there are Bill Gates mosquitos in Texas, that sounds even worse ;) ).

Sorry, don't know how to help as you're trying to do things I've never wanted to try.  (And I have to go play now, as punishment for bringing Klaw in from our walk sooner than he wanted - which appears to be "ever". :animatedlol: )

12 hours ago, Carborendum said:

Result after two weeks:

1) He claws at the post only when I scratch it.  As soon as I remove my hand from the post, he stops scratching.
2) He continues to claw people, furniture, and he took down the family room curtain.  I have to re-mount the rod supports.

Maybe you should stop clawing people, furniture and curtains and he’ll stop there too.

I would bring up something that may be quite controversial.  It is the thought that a pet is allowed to misbehave and not respond to training.  I do not understand why anyone would keep a pet that does not submit to training.  Obviously, either there is something sick and wrong with either the pet or the owner that lacks the intelligence and ability to train or be trained.   I especially do not understand why anyone would maintain such a situation – especially if they have or expect children in their home.  The reason for this ought to be obvious for those that appreciate the safety of innocent little children.

But there is something else, perhaps not always but it seems to we that any exceptions is very rare.  That is that someone that loves and enjoys pets and trains them well – seems to lack the ability to train their children nearly as well as their pet. 🥸

The Traveler

1 hour ago, Traveler said:

Obviously, either there is something sick and wrong with either the pet or the owner that lacks the intelligence and ability to train or be trained. 

35 minutes ago, zil2 said:

Klaw says, "Meowmy's training is going well.  Soon she will be the perfect slave."

We're in good company.

2 hours ago, Traveler said:

It is the thought that a pet is allowed to misbehave and not respond to training

? I don’t follow you. 

I can tell you that when I give my dog an order, they obey. There’s no room for discussion, they are dogs. It’s always been like this for me for 20+ years of dog ownership, many breeds, etc. 

I do have a soft touch with them, no argument there. But they know who the boss is, and like all dogs, they accept it and prefer it that way. 

@mirkwood (a non dog owner) said it best. If you really love your dog you’ll teach them how to behave. 

Edited by LDSGator

2 hours ago, Traveler said:

I do not understand why anyone would keep a pet that does not submit to training.

"Cats and women will do as they please, and dogs and men should just get used to it."

someone that loves and enjoys pets and trains them well – seems to lack the ability to train their children nearly as well as their pet. 

I can recommend the PG-13 2000 movie Best In Show A hilarious look into the world of folks who own and train show dogs. It's a 'mocumentary', but wildly popular among the pet show circuit, as well as anyone who loves their pets more than their kids.    There's absolutely a type of person like this.

45 minutes ago, LDSGator said:

If you really love your dog you’ll teach them how to behave.

As someone who's lived with a casually trained dog and much later with two formally trained dogs, I can tell you, everyone is going to be much happier with the formal training, and the more of it, the better. :)  (The casually trained dog was a good dog, but the other two were far better.)

7 minutes ago, zil2 said:

As someone who's lived with a casually trained dog and much later with two formally trained dogs, I can tell you, everyone is going to be much happier with the formal training, and the more of it, the better. :)  (The casually trained dog was a good dog, but the other two were far better.)

Oh, I totally agree with you, especially for the more dominant breeds. 

1 hour ago, Carborendum said:

We're in good company.

I like your response.  Many, like this example of Data, fail to grasp the difference between training and teaching.  The more intelligent a species, the more teaching is applicable but there is always reason and purpose for training – which is a conditioned response.

One example, a cat can easily and unknowingly smother a sleeping infant or child.  I personally would not allow an untrained cat near a sleeping infant (alone with or unattended access to).  And I have my doubts about pet owners that do not grasp why.

I understand the emotion to protect one’s pet – but sometimes there are more important things to protect.  I have little sympathy for pet owners that fail to grasp what things can be more important.   If this concept is difficult for some pet owners to grasp – I could offer more examples.

The Traveler

46 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

"Cats and women will do as they please, and dogs and men should just get used to it."

:animatedlol:

Klaw and I are training each other as we go.  You could say we're getting acquainted.  He seems happy.  I'm happy.  And yes, he is learning and adjusting his behavior and so am I.

2 hours ago, Carborendum said:

We're in good company.

Brent Spiner hated that cat.  Apparently it was the worst actor ever.  Refused to take direction. :D  (I know there are cat-actors that do much better, so I'm thinking they found the wrong cat / trainer to fill the role.)

10 minutes ago, LDSGator said:

Oh, I totally agree with you, especially for the more dominant breeds. 

And the smarter the breed - smart dogs (like Border Collies) really need serious training and mental stimulation or they go nuts.

1 minute ago, zil2 said:

And the smarter the breed - smart dogs (like Border Collies) really need serious training and mental stimulation or they go nuts.

I go a step further. If you have a very smart dog like a border collie you really should be herding sheep or other livestock. Both you and the dog will much much happier. Yes, there are exceptions-but really intelligent dogs need a job to do.