Short Story Idea

I was looking at my dog the other day and thinking how he is getting old and will be gone soon. I then was thinking about the three disciples from the book of Mormon and John the beloved. I am not sure how they deal with the lack of connections as they outlive each of their friends and relatives. What if they had a canine companion that was given to them that was also translated? That is the basis of the idea, an immortal dog that would remain as their faithful companion. I am reminded of the Nephite that Joseph and the others ran into on the road to Harmony that was carrying the first set of plates back to Cumorah and that delivered the small plates of Nephi to Joseph in Harmony.

I have come to believe that those given the state of physical translation are compensated. We know they do not feel the pains of the world; I assume that means emotionally and psychologically as well as physically.

Though as I realized with a shock during or shortly after my mission, if I had been given the choice, I would have chosen to die at 72 and dwell with the Lord. It would not have been a close decision, either. I have actually tried throughout much of my life to grow as a person, possibly to the point where, offered that choice, I would choose to stay. I don't think I've reached that stage yet, but I haven't stopped trying.

2 hours ago, Emmanuel Goldstein said:

I was looking at my dog the other day and thinking how he is getting old and will be gone soon. I then was thinking about the three disciples from the book of Mormon and John the beloved. I am not sure how they deal with the lack of connections as they outlive each of their friends and relatives. What if they had a canine companion that was given to them that was also translated? That is the basis of the idea, an immortal dog that would remain as their faithful companion. I am reminded of the Nephite that Joseph and the others ran into on the road to Harmony that was carrying the first set of plates back to Cumorah and that delivered the small plates of Nephi to Joseph in Harmony.

I have thought about the three disciples in the Book of Mormon and have concluded that we know very little about them and their extended circumstance.  I have pondered that such choices (such as being translated) are not theirs alone to make but should or ought to include that person they were bound to in the eternal covenant of marriage.   Though we are not told anything concerning their wives – I speculate that their wives are included in this calling as their companion.  I do not believe that any priesthood holder is complete without being sealed to a partner equal to them and their calling under the new and everlasting covenant of marriage.

I think that it is perhaps improper to think that a dog would be sufficient for such a journey.

The Traveler

2 hours ago, Emmanuel Goldstein said:

Let's say the dog was translated at the time of Enoch and the story is his POV and commentary of God's dealings with mankind from that moment to when he joins his friends in eternal felicity. Including a sidebar conversation with the beasts in Revelation 4:6-11 and interviews with other animals brought up in the Bible narrative from the Flood onward.

3 hours ago, Emmanuel Goldstein said:

Eventful day today. Master carried the metal plates across the state. I cleared his path of squirrels, doing my part to carry the work forward. It is hard but rewarding; Master pets me several times per day, for which he is gratefully thanked with my slobber. Mutually rewarding doggy symbiosis.

It's been pretty cool these last fifteen hundred or so years--no fleas! Not once! That's not the whole story, though. It must be said that every night for the last 600 years, Master feeds me a bowl of dog food. Nothing but dog food for the last six centuries! Can you believe it? He sure loves me!

Now someone write the cat version.

1 hour ago, Vort said:

Now someone write the cat version.

So, my claws don't grow anymore, but I still enjoy scratching stuff up.  Yesterday, I sat next to the couch as my junior companion was ministering to a family in need.  The couch needed some holes.  I think I improved it.

My hair doesn't grow anymore.  But I've got to keep up my grooming.  Why?  Because I like it.

Why doesn't he carry keys around anymore?  I want shiny stuff.  I haven't seen anything shiny in years -- unless you count my jr companion.  But that's only when we leave this green ball. Where is that tree with the white fruit anyway.  I want to munch some fruit so I can cough it back up again -- obligate carnivore that I am.

Good thing lizards are still on this green ball.  I can leave it on the doorstep, if he had one.  And mice? Weren't they food once? Now they're my friends?

Alfred!  Ambrosia, please.  Place it next to my lounging pillow, please.  Thank you so much.  You're a dear.

Edited by Carborendum

1 hour ago, Carborendum said:

So, my claws don't grow anymore, but I still enjoy scratching stuff up.  Yesterday, I sat next to the couch as my junior companion was ministering to a family in need.  The couch needed some holes.  I think I improved it.

My hair doesn't grow anymore.  But I've got to keep up my grooming.  Why?  Because I like it.

Why doesn't he carry keys around anymore?  I want shiny stuff.  I haven't seen anything shiny in years -- unless you count my jr companion.  But that's only when we leave this green ball. Where is that tree with the white fruit anyway.  I want to munch some fruit so I can cough it back up again -- obligate carnivore that I am.

Good thing lizards are still on this green ball.  I can leave it on the doorstep, if he had one.  And mice? Weren't they food once? Now they're my friends?

Alfred!  Ambrosia, please.  Place it next to my lounging pillow, please.  Thank you so much.  You're a dear.

Sounds more like a cat to me. They tend to be more imperious than dogs. lol