Linking Scriptures

mikbone

John 5:19 Then answered Jesus and said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, The Son can do nothing of himself, but what he seeth the Father do: for what things soever he doeth, these also doeth the Son likewise.

D&C 20:79 O God, the Eternal Father, we ask thee in the name of thy Son, Jesus Christ, to bless and sanctify this wine to the souls of all those who drink of it, that they may do it in remembrance of the blood of thy Son, which was shed for them; that they may witness unto thee, O God, the Eternal Father, that they do always remember him, that they may have his Spirit to be with them. Amen.

3 Ne 27:21 Verily, verily, I say unto you, this is my gospel; and ye know the things that ye must do in my church; for the works which ye have seen me do that shall ye also do; for that which ye have seen me do even that shall ye do;

10 hours ago, mikbone said:

John 5:19 Then answered Jesus and said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, The Son can do nothing of himself, but what he seeth the Father do: for what things soever he doeth, these also doeth the Son likewise.

D&C 20:79 O God, the Eternal Father, we ask thee in the name of thy Son, Jesus Christ, to bless and sanctify this wine to the souls of all those who drink of it, that they may do it in remembrance of the blood of thy Son, which was shed for them; that they may witness unto thee, O God, the Eternal Father, that they do always remember him, that they may have his Spirit to be with them. Amen.

3 Ne 27:21 Verily, verily, I say unto you, this is my gospel; and ye know the things that ye must do in my church; for the works which ye have seen me do that shall ye also do; for that which ye have seen me do even that shall ye do;

Nice connection of seeing in the past (remember) and present (see) tenses, and with future intent (may witness).

How many of us can truly say that we live this directive in our daily acts. "the works which ye have seen me do that shall ye also do; for that which ye have seen me do even that shall ye do"

I know I can do better, much better. I know when I swear at another driver for cutting me off, and lay on the horn, that I am not doing this. I have a temper and I know that it does not help to do this. I remember one day I had just come from the temple and this happened to me, but I was thinking about Jesus and instead of getting mad, I just said to my wife, "Man, he must be in a hurry, I hope they are able to make it there in time." I felt a calming influence from the Spirit, because I was paying attention to Him. 

5 hours ago, Emmanuel Goldstein said:

How many of us can truly say that we live this directive in our daily acts. "the works which ye have seen me do that shall ye also do; for that which ye have seen me do even that shall ye do"

I know I can do better, much better. I know when I swear at another driver for cutting me off, and lay on the horn, that I am not doing this. I have a temper and I know that it does not help to do this. I remember one day I had just come from the temple and this happened to me, but I was thinking about Jesus and instead of getting mad, I just said to my wife, "Man, he must be in a hurry, I hope they are able to make it there in time." I felt a calming influence from the Spirit, because I was paying attention to Him. 

Theoretical Christianity is much easier than actual Christianity.

7 minutes ago, Emmanuel Goldstein said:

Very true, I have come to dislike the term Christianity since I learned that the early followers of Christ called themselves The Way. Christian is a derogatory term created by the Romans. Kind of like Mormon.

mandalorian.thumb.jpg.cae6b37e4c55771de2abf71d5f59f89f.jpg

Edited by Carborendum

• 2 weeks later...

There are two different theories I may be able to guess at what the OP is suggesting?  I am unsure if it is either or neither.

1.  There was a thought that has been passed around that each of us who attain exaltation will have to become Savior's of their own worlds.  That just as the Savior was this world's Savior, we will also have to do the same thing.  Once exalted we will have to become mortal again and suffer for the sins of all our (children/grandchildren) and atone for them.  In that light it was referenced as Adam/The Son/the Father as Son/Father/Grandfather.  Whether I ascribe to this theory or not is probably irrelevant.  I like the second one better.  They are not incompatible with each other though.

2.  The Savior set the example of being our Savior.  He took our place as a proxy to do what we could not.  In that same way we also become Saviors on Mount Zion when we enter the temple.  We are literally performing eternally saving ordinances that others cannot do.  We are acting in their place to do the work that they are unable to.  In this way we are fulfilling the idea that we follow the Lord's example of being a Savior, by being Saviors to others by performing the work for the Dead.

On 8/9/2023 at 4:48 AM, Emmanuel Goldstein said:

Very true, I have come to dislike the term Christianity since I learned that the early followers of Christ called themselves The Way. Christian is a derogatory term created by the Romans. Kind of like Mormon.

Just a reminder

13 And he fastened on his head-plate, and his abreastplate, and his shields, and girded on his armor about his loins; and he took the pole, which had on the end thereof his rent coat, (and he called it the btitle of liberty) and he cbowed himself to the earth, and he prayed mightily unto his God for the blessings of liberty to rest upon his brethren, so long as there should a band of dChristians remain to possess the land—

14 For thus were all the true believers of Christ, who belonged to the church of God, called by those who did not belong to the church.

Several decades before the coming of Christ