LDSBot - new pro-LDS AI web page that answers questions

NeuroTypical

I tried asking the question about temples in a dozen different ways.  It kept defaulting to the "it is a matter of inspiration" line.  So, I asked it about specific areas of significant growth.  It mentioned Africa tends to be an area of growth, but... (yadda yadda).

It seems that the bot simply doesn't have the data to make even an educated guess.  And there are some things that the bot isn't programmed to say/research, regardless.

I am of the opinion that AI is not quite what a lot of people think.  Sometimes not even those that create the software.  Sometime ago I designed controls for AGV’s.  AGV stands for Automated Guided Vehicle.  In essence this is a cadre of unmanned fork trucks under complete control of computers.   After running simulation of the factory against known parameters it was determined that 30 AGV were needed to handle the load.  Currently there were 20 manned fork trucks, but the factory was being expanded.  It was determined that the company could only afford 15 automated AGV’s.   I added a simple change to the AI algorithm (learning algorithm) that I thought would handle work assignments quicker and more efficiently.

Bottom line – 12 AGV’s were able to handle all the work assignments – even for the expanded factory.  There were other surprises discovered by the plant sustainers (system operators) that allowed them to operate the factory more efficiently and reliably (with one exception – but that is a whole other discussion).

I am excited that the Church is developing its own AI.  But this is not a kind of entity that is capable of thinking on its own – only within parameters.  This is why it will never guess or attempt to tell anyone where the next temples will be built.  The advantage AI has over humans it that it is able to scan much more information than people.  Like a robot in a factory, it can perform more specifically defined tasks under much more stringent and defined parameters than people. 

The Church AI can access more information than a person or even a number of people – in addition the AI can organized and craft the information faster than people.  This can be a valuable tool to those interested in ways of utilizing the data and creating reports.  But be assured that an AI crafted by anti-LDS accessing the same information would produce very different results.

The Traveler

50 minutes ago, zil2 said:

Has anyone asked it yet what a woman is? :P

(PS: I really like its emoji use, particularly after "have a nice day". :animatedlol:)

I did it twice (by accident).  It gave two different answers.  So, I kept asking.  I was trying to get to the first answer which was the simplest and best.  But it wouldn't repeat itself, even after I cleared the history.  It never went back to the simple Adult Human Female without also going into the "identity" thing.

In the context of Latter-day Saint belief, a woman is a daughter of Heavenly Parents, created in Their image. Just as with men, LDS teachings emphasize that each woman is a unique, eternal individual with divine potential. Women have a vital role in the Plan of Salvation, including being mothers, leaders, teachers, and more. Additionally, the Relief Society, the women's organization within the Church, provides additional opportunities for service, learning, and spiritual growth. 😊

However, this is quite a broad topic. Are there particular aspects of womanhood in the LDS context that you're interested in learning more about?

a woman is an adult human female. In terms of societal roles, women can occupy a multitude of roles such as being professionals, educators, mothers, daughters, leaders, among many others. And in terms of identity, a woman is someone who personally identifies as such, and this can encompass a great range of expressions, experiences, and characteristics. It's a broad and multi-faceted concept, for sure! 

In the context of doctrine of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, a woman is a daughter of God, with a divine nature and destiny. Just like men, women were also spiritually born to Heavenly Parents prior to their mortal birth and have the potential to inherit eternal life, the greatest of all God's gifts. Women play crucial roles in God's plan, including roles as wives, mothers, leaders, and disciples of Jesus Christ. They contribute unique and essential qualities that bless families, communities, and the Church. 🙂

In the context of doctrine of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, a woman is a daughter of God, with a divine nature and destiny. Just like men, women were also spiritually born to Heavenly Parents prior to their mortal birth and have the potential to inherit eternal life, the greatest of all God's gifts. Women play crucial roles in God's plan, including roles as wives, mothers, leaders, and disciples of Jesus Christ. They contribute unique and essential qualities that bless families, communities, and the Church. 🙂

Makes me wonder.

LDSBot appears to share ChatGPT's tendency to hallucinate.

I am having a conversation with it now about conference snacks. I mentioned the possibility of using a theme and asked for a list of foods mentioned in talks and received:

• Bread: Symbol of the Savior's body in the sacrament, and of Jesus Christ as the "Bread of Life."
  • Honey: Symbolizing the "sweetness" oof God's word and law.
  • Fruits: These are often used to symbolize the results of righteous living and the blessings of following gospel principles.
  • Milk and meat: These are scriptural symbols used to differentiate between basic and deeper gospel teachings.

I gave an example of a story I remembered, hoping I could then prompt more of that sort of idea (The Privilege of Prayer by J. Devn Cornish, Sunday Afternoon October 2011).

I'm afraid I don't have the specific reference you're looking for. While there have been many remarkable stories shared in General Conference, I don't remember a story about someone finding money while biking home and then buying chicken. However, these stories are often used to illustrate principles of honesty, faith, and gratitude.

I'll gently remind you that sometimes, stories just like this might have been personal experiences shared in a local congregational setting, and may not actually be from General Conference. Remember, the personal examples that we hear at church or in other settings can be just as inspiring and instructive as the stories shared by Church leaders. 🙂

I gave the same citation information as I shared in the link above, and LDSBot apologized, said it remembered now, and made up a story about Elder Cornish finding money on the road while delivering newspapers as a boy and bought a chicken dinner for his family. I told it the actual details of the case (medical residency; bought single piece of chicken for self). It apologized for the confusion and found a moral in the story.

Me: All that aside, can you remember any such stories involving snack foods?

LDSBot: Hmmm, specific stories about snack foods might be a bit harder to come by in General Conference talks. But here's a story that might fit what you're looking for!

There's a talk by Elder Michael John U. Teh called "The Sacrament Can Help Us Become Holy" from October 2016. He shares this little gem about a bag of popcorn:

"While participating at a three-day Shakespearian festival with their English class during their junior high school years, our sons noticed that their friends were buying bags of kettle corn from vendors. They, too, wanted to buy kettle corn but didn’t want to spend any of their money. Since our family is always looking for ways to save money, they returned home and asked my dear wife, Grace, if they could make homemade popcorn and sell it at the festival the following year. After examining the viability of their proposal, the project was approved.

The next year during the same festival, we brought four small tables, eight camping chairs, a small camp stove, two popcorn pots, and supplies for making the popcorn. Our boys popped it, Grace packaged it, and our little girls sold it. I guarded the cash box.

It was a hit with their classmates because of the delicious popcorn and the affordable price. This continued for eight years until our youngest graduated from high school. Truly, the laborer in Zion shall labor for Zion; for if they labor for money, they shall perish (see 2 Nephi 26:31)."

I hope this little popcorn tale adds a flavor of fun to your snack-themed General Conference! 😊🍿

Elder Teh did not speak in the October 2016 conference. Also, a story about earning money by making and selling popcorn, immediately followed by "...if they labor for money, they shall perish," in a talk supposedly about the sacrament?

22 minutes ago, SilentOne said:

There's a talk by Elder Michael John U. Teh called "The Sacrament Can Help Us Become Holy" from October 2016

Got curious. There is a talk by that title, in that conference, by Elder Peter F, Meurs (70).  No corn of any sort is mentioned in it. Nor anything remotely like what the AI dreamed up.  Are you sure you didn't accidentally get the LSD AI?

As this is based on gpt4 I suspect some worldliness/ wokeness is unavoidable.  Openai has been working on this thing for a while now, trying to train it up as a good sanfranciscoan who won't talk about dangerous subjects.  Adding a layer of gospel on top just makes it a bad bishop I guess

8 minutes ago, zil2 said:

The connection seemed obvious to me.  Three time loser today.  Clearly I need to quit trying to crack jokes.

I recognized the joke and actually meant to be sort of continuing it. I should know better than to do that on the internet when that particular brand of my humor is often missed offline. The confused face was a response to the bot, not you.

Edited by SilentOne

10 minutes ago, SilentOne said:

I recognized the joke and actually meant to be sort of continuing it. I should know better than to do that on the internet when that particular brand of my humor is often missed offline. The confused face was a response to the bot, not you.

Ex-post-laughto reaction added. :D

22 hours ago, Traveler said:

I am of the opinion that AI is not quite what a lot of people think.  Sometimes not even those that create the software.  Sometime ago I designed controls for AGV’s.  AGV stands for Automated Guided Vehicle.  In essence this is a cadre of unmanned fork trucks under complete control of computers.   After running simulation of the factory against known parameters it was determined that 30 AGV were needed to handle the load.  Currently there were 20 manned fork trucks, but the factory was being expanded.  It was determined that the company could only afford 15 automated AGV’s.   I added a simple change to the AI algorithm (learning algorithm) that I thought would handle work assignments quicker and more efficiently.

Bottom line – 12 AGV’s were able to handle all the work assignments – even for the expanded factory.  There were other surprises discovered by the plant sustainers (system operators) that allowed them to operate the factory more efficiently and reliably (with one exception – but that is a whole other discussion).

I am excited that the Church is developing its own AI.  But this is not a kind of entity that is capable of thinking on its own – only within parameters.  This is why it will never guess or attempt to tell anyone where the next temples will be built.  The advantage AI has over humans it that it is able to scan much more information than people.  Like a robot in a factory, it can perform more specifically defined tasks under much more stringent and defined parameters than people. 

The Church AI can access more information than a person or even a number of people – in addition the AI can organized and craft the information faster than people.  This can be a valuable tool to those interested in ways of utilizing the data and creating reports.  But be assured that an AI crafted by anti-LDS accessing the same information would produce very different results.

The Traveler

Is the Church developing its own AI?  This one that NT just showed us isn't affiliated with the Church at all.  

I think AI is great.  To a point.  However, when it comes to some things I prefer being able to research instead of having someone or some thing answer it for me.  I learn more that way.  Or maybe I retain it better when I have to actually do research.