Johns Hopkins Diversity Office

mikbone

7 minutes ago, LDSGator said:

Sorry I misunderstood. 

Let me ask you this? If you were going to hire for a company board, would you consider it important to make sure you had at least one Nazi, one KKK member, one Christian, one Muslim, one Marxist, one Feminist, one Satanist, and one flat-eather in order to be successful as a company?

I mean there's a big difference between the idea of not being intimidated by other viewpoints and actually claiming random diversity of view points is good for anything in particular.

7 minutes ago, The Folk Prophet said:

Let me ask you this? If you were going to hire for a company board, would you consider it important to make sure you had at least one Nazi, one KKK member, one Christian, one Muslim, one Marxist, one Feminist, one Satanist, and one flat-eather in order to be successful as a company?

No. But I don’t fear Nazism or the KKK, or Marxists. Their ideas are so repulsive that I welcome them in the public sphere for many reasons. 1, so we can make fun of them. 2, so we can identify who holds those views, and 3, so we can combat their views. 

Number one is most important. People who seriously hold those views hate being mocked. So we should all mock them mercilessly.  

Edited by LDSGator

51 minutes ago, The Folk Prophet said:

This is a falsehood.

Diversity of thought has no value of good or evil.

Good thought is good. Bad thought is bad.

Thought can be more than good or bad.

I can fix a femur with traction, cast, plates and screws, external fixation, intramedullary nail, etc…

Thanks to diversity of thought.

2 minutes ago, The Folk Prophet said:

Anyone who believes diversity of thought is a good thing should be sentenced to a year of watching nothing but TikTok challenges until they're thoroughly cured of such a ridiculous notion.

Lol! That backfired for me. I wanted to be a grouchy old person and hate tiktok but I fell in love with the couples challenges and  silly prank videos. I don’t have a tiktok personally but I watch the videos on Reels all the time. 

BTW, a weakness of the DEI crowd, is that they want nothing to do with intellectual diversity, aka diversity of opinion/belief.  They're downright uninclusive of such things. 

Sometimes, when you're talking about DEI with a DEI supporter, they'll start insulting you or telling you why you're wrong and problematic and racist and saying words that lead to genocide.  Not always, but often.  All you need to do in these cases is let them know you're not feeling the inclusivity, and ask them if they value diverse opinions.  I've never seen one not self-destruct or go dark after such an exchange.  They might continue restating their position, I'll just continue pointing out that I'm not feeling the inclusion.  "You sure seem to hate diverse opinions for someone who says they value diversity.  Can you help me understand why?"   Etc.

Edited by NeuroTypical

1 hour ago, NeuroTypical said:

BTW, a weakness of the DEI crowd, is that they want nothing to do with intellectual diversity, aka diversity of opinion/belief.  They're downright uninclusive of such things. 

Sometimes, when you're talking about DEI with a DEI supporter, they'll start insulting you or telling you why you're wrong and problematic and racist and saying words that lead to genocide.  Not always, but often.  All you need to do in these cases is let them know you're not feeling the inclusivity, and ask them if they value diverse opinions.  I've never seen one not self-destruct or go dark after such an exchange.  They might continue restating their position, I'll just continue pointing out that I'm not feeling the inclusion.  "You sure seem to hate diverse opinions for someone who says they value diversity.  Can you help me understand why?"   Etc.

It's my unfortunate experience that things like DEI, Privilege Theory, and so on tend to be embraced largely by academics or people who otherwise have little real-world experience outside of academia. 

This is why, for example, they fail to understand that most people define "privilege" on the basis of "wealth, power, and prestige" and so don't understand why people respond to their rants about "white privilege" the way people tend to do. I *literally* had one person I tried to explain this to snap at me and tell me that it's not *their* job to educate the public on the different definitions and that the public needed to just educate itself.

7 hours ago, The Folk Prophet said:

This is a falsehood.

Diversity of thought has no value of good or evil.

Good thought is good. Bad thought is bad.

How diverse that thinking it has no actual measure of good to bad. It just is.

It's more reasonable to say that oft times diverse viewpoints can be helpful.

But it's also reasonable to say that sometimes diverse viewpoints can be harmful.

It seems to me that the natural course of diversity is not a good thing - ever.  If that which is diverse is each left to its own, there is no other possibility other than for the various dominate elements of that diversity to turn on each other as rivals.  The only possible good to come from diversity is when a singularity (a good singularity) that is more important than the sum total of all the diversity, is able to unite the members.

There is a very good example of what I am attempting to espouse in Moroni chapter 10 beginning with verse 6 that explains the unification that Christ brings to the divergent gifts of the spirit.

If there is no overarching unity for that which is diverse – the only possible result is chaos.  If there is a counter example for this – I would be most interested to learn of it.

The Traveler