Shameless Babylon bee repost

mikbone

3 hours ago, mikbone said:

Satan: He Gets Us

Yeah, once again, the Bee reflects reality.   The show is called "Hazbin Hotel", season 1 fresh out on Amazon Prime.  Most of the story takes place in hell, but the angels are the bad guys.  Our heroine, daughter of Lucifer Morningstar, and her girlfriend Vaggie, on their quest to find a way for sinners to be rehabilitated and allowed into Heaven, via her Hotel.  What's currently happening is Heaven's yearly assault, where the angels come down and massacre wayward souls due to Hell's overpopulation.  The angels don't want anything to do with her nefarious plot.  

I am sad, because I absolutely love whimsical eclectic animated shows with catchy songs, but I'm so turned off by the plot and worldbuilding, I am unable to enjoy it.  Songs by Parry Gripp (we raised our kids on his songs).  I'm a fan of several of the voice actors.  The animation is unique.  The characters are instantly relatable.  And I can't for the life of me find a way to enjoy the show, because it's entire reason for existing is to call good evil, and evil good.  I've been known to wade through a manure pile in order to find a precious gem, but this is simply too much.

(Mikbone's playlist, however, is top notch!  Grabbing it now.)

Edited by NeuroTypical

43 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

Yeah, once again, the Bee reflects reality.   The show is called "Hazbin Hotel", season 1 fresh out on Amazon Prime.  Most of the story takes place in hell, but the angels are the bad guys.  Our heroine, daughter of Lucifer Morningstar, and her girlfriend Vaggie, on their quest to find a way for sinners to be rehabilitated and allowed into Heaven, via her Hotel.  What's currently happening is Heaven's yearly assault, where the angels come down and massacre wayward souls due to Hell's overpopulation.  The angels don't want anything to do with her nefarious plot.  

I am sad, because I absolutely love whimsical eclectic animated shows with catchy songs, but I'm so turned off by the plot and worldbuilding, I am unable to enjoy it.  Songs by Parry Gripp (we raised our kids on his songs).  I'm a fan of several of the voice actors.  The animation is unique.  The characters are instantly relatable.  And I can't for the life of me find a way to enjoy the show, because it's entire reason for existing is to call good evil, and evil good.  I've been known to wade through a manure pile in order to find a precious gem, but this is simply too much.

I suppose the good news for fans is that they will be allowed to spend the eternities pursuing their fond dream. Lord, please spare my children and grandchildren from such.

19 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

Look up the controversies around the show's creator, Vivziepop, and you'll see that the show very nearly didn't happen. 

Let's just say that Vivziepop sounds like someone who doesn't exactly have it all together. 

I'd like to comfort myself with tales of how weird or fringe or troubled or problematic folks associated with this production are.  But I'm afraid the story of it's acceptance by the culture overwhelms any relief I might feel at Vivziepop's controversy.  The YouTube pilot has 99 million views and counting, 78% RT and 84% Viewers at Rotten Tomatoes, 7.8 at IMDB.  It's an indication of how many folks out there lack any sort of Christian worldview or respect for those who have one.

The “controversial” commercial:

I struggle to see the controversy here. The message I get from it is “Yes, many people who are ideologically opposed to you are Christian. They belong in the body of Christ. So do you. There’s a place for you and a place for them.”

It’s an attempt to invite people to fill the pews who may feel alienated by church. Once there, it’s the job of local congregations to help them feel welcome and the role of local ministers to invite the same sort of change and indwelling encouraged of long-time members. Calvary Chapel in California took a similar approach with the displaced hippies and its members today form a small Bible Belt in a land of “nones”.

On 2/17/2024 at 3:27 PM, mordorbund said:

The “controversial” commercial:

I struggle to see the controversy here. The message I get from it is “Yes, many people who are ideologically opposed to you are Christian. They belong in the body of Christ. So do you. There’s a place for you and a place for them.”

It’s an attempt to invite people to fill the pews who may feel alienated by church. Once there, it’s the job of local congregations to help them feel welcome and the role of local ministers to invite the same sort of change and indwelling encouraged of long-time members. Calvary Chapel in California took a similar approach with the displaced hippies and its members today form a small Bible Belt in a land of “nones”.

The washing of feet was an ordinance. That is completely not understood by wider Christianity—by pretty much anyone who is not a Latter-day Saint—though it's glaringly obvious to us. They turn the washing of feet into a cheap trope for treating strangers nicely.

But even beyond that, a point that it's hard to hold non-LDS responsible for missing, the commercial is a disaster on many levels. It's condescending, filled with leftist tropes, unchallenging, hippie-Jesus, about as tasty and satisfying as overcooked pasta with no sauce or butter. Matt Walsh had what I consider to be a very good take on this.