Care to settle a laundry argument?

MorningStar

Ok, a couple is having a light hearted argument about the laundry.

Person A washes two of their shirts separately, making it necessary to set the water to the low setting.

Person B starts a large load a couple days later, notices the washer is making a horrible racket, but thinks nothing of it. Person A points out they needed to set the water level back to high.

Was Person A or B to blame for the large load being washed in an inadequate amount of water?

Person A thinks Person B should check the water level/temperature before they start a new load. Person B thinks Person A should've have switched it back after doing the light load.

:lol:

Thoughts?

Both.

Person A should reset the water level when finished with a small load.

Person B should know that Person A sometimes leaves the water level on low, and should always check the water level before starting a load.

The same thing goes on at my house.:roflmbo:

(Only it's not so funny to Person B, when Person B hasn't got a clue, doesn't do a re-wash, and ends up wearing soapy clothes, causing an allergic reaction. In that case, Person A ends up with restricted privileges. When Person B ain't happy, NObody's happy.)

Hidden

I always check the laundry, oven, microwave and dishwasher settings. LOL, I don't have anyone else to blame besides myself if I don't check the setting.

Okay it's common courtesy, like putting the toilet seat down after using it or refilling the petrol tank and not leaving it on empty. It goes a long way to creating a happy home.

Person A needs to be more courteous. Person B needs to be more careful...this habit of being on autopilot could expand into other areas of their life and cause them more problems than having to wash a load of washing twice.

Let's say Person B commited the same sin of setting the level to low when they needed to wash a small load that is covered in fiberglass and also forgets to set it back to high?

Now what do you think?

And let's say Person A normally remembers to set it back to high but has a case of pregnancy absentmindedness? Or maybe Person A did remember and got distracted because the smell of last night's dishes was making her gag uncontrollably.

I swear it's not me.

Really.

People that do their own laundry are responsible for ALL the settings. Expecting others to help (turn a knob)where it is not asked beforehand is silly.

That person B expects person A to switch it back, and is even lightheartedly arguing is silly. These "lighthearted" things have a way of building into bigger things. The need to be right about a washer knob is silly.

I would have to agree that if the washer setting is normally on high the person A should switch it back because person B just wouldn't be looking to see the water level setting. I've had this discussion many times with peoples C, D & E in my household as they do this to me all the time because they want to "help" and do their own laundry.... maybe I should have them read this thread!

Here is another laundry conundrum for you. Who is responsible for emptying pockets the person whos pockets they are or the person doing the laundry? When ever I did laundry I always checked every pocket but rarely remembered to empty the contents when I wasn't the one doing the laundry. My wife was the opposite. She always emptied her pockets before throwing the stuff in the basket. She never checked when she filled the washer.

It is my opinion that both of us were at fault for having something get washed that shouldn't. Because that is what married life is all about. It isn't 50/50 it is 100/100.

With eight children and another teenager living with us (years ago) I have done many loads of laundry. I ALWAYS check to see if the washer is set to right temp, and levels. It takes a second. If you rely on the person who changed the settings to 'reset' them you are looking for disaster. It is defineitley the person who is doing the current load of laundry to check the settings and not depend on another. Though a polite gesture to reset the knobs it is a better habit of checking. It is like saying the person who uses the gas in the car fill it up. If you wait for that you'll run out of gas more times than not.

And that's the way it is. hee hee;)

Abraham

When beginning a load of laundry (or a job on the copier at the office, or a microwave lasagna), your responsibility is to select the settings you desire. I would make the same argument about resetting the toilet seat. You have the option to leave it set in a way you think the next person may prefer, but the obligation to ensure correct settings lies squarely on the shoulders of the person setting it up for his or her own use.

Person A read this thread to Person B. Person B was thoroughly amused and tried to annoy Person A by telling them that they should always have the oven set to 400 degrees and that if they have to cook something at 425 or on broil, they should change it back.

Person B should have to take over all the household duties for a month to see exactly what Person A does for Person B.

After living in a household of: 5 siblings (two brothers, three sisters), Grandma and my parents- we all learned to look before we did anything: reset the stove, washer & dryer and iron before we used them. My Father declared that the toilet seat was to ALWAYS be put down after each use. This kept the toddlers from playing in it and the dog out of it!

Basically: If you used it, put it back. If it is empty, put the empty container in the trash, and if possible replace it. If you turned it on, check on it and turn it off when done. If you dirtied it, clean it. If you did not buy it leave it alone.

If you washed it, then dry it, fold it and put it away. Finish what you start. Clean up after yourself. We are your parents, not your personal slaves. You are our children, not our personal slaves. Your siblings are your siblings, not your personal slaves.

I always check the laundry, oven, microwave and dishwasher settings. LOL, I don't have anyone else to blame besides myself if I don't check the setting.

Okay it's common courtesy, like putting the toilet seat down after using it or refilling the petrol tank and not leaving it on empty. It goes a long way to creating a happy home.

Person A needs to be more courteous. Person B needs to be more careful...this habit of being on autopilot could expand into other areas of their life and cause them more problems than having to wash a load of washing twice.

My vote goes to this poster! For he has the ability to see more than just the tip of the iceberg sticking out of the water!

I realize the concept if both couples are striving to give 100% each will be giving rather than worrying about receiving. However, as humans we have needs, and arguably if we give 100% we are never in the receive mode and in my opinion there is an ebb and flow when one needs and the other can give. So I am thoroughly convinced that a successful relationship it needs to be 80%/80%. Then there are moments when one's needs are being met and 80% is a pretty large task. If you are giving 80% you are more concerned about giving than receiving (that is why a 50/50 rarely work). My sister (non-member) has gone through two marriages and had a 50/50 always arguing tit for tat, "you went out this weekend, so I get to go out next weekend. In my opinion she was being selfish and not practical. It is okay to take in a relationship. Again, giving 100% in impractical and cannot be maintained. You'll burn out. It may be semantics but i like my idea better (but that's me). Even the Savior had to be fed once in a while. Just don't get "I' disease. Too many, especially men want a 10/90 relationship. In that case I'd have a food taster work for me. hee hee. If one does not serve the other, there will be no love in the relationship.

Just a thought,

Abraham

Ok, a couple is having a light hearted argument about the laundry.

Person A washes two of their shirts separately, making it necessary to set the water to the low setting.

Person B starts a large load a couple days later, notices the washer is making a horrible racket, but thinks nothing of it. Person A points out they needed to set the water level back to high.

Was Person A or B to blame for the large load being washed in an inadequate amount of water?

Person A thinks Person B should check the water level/temperature before they start a new load. Person B thinks Person A should've have switched it back after doing the light load.

Thoughts?

Gosh, this is so much like the "toilet seat" thing it's not funny.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the argument at hand. Since landry loads are of several different types, it behooves the launderer to set the machine to the requirements of a given load (or at least check to see that is correct). Though, like with gas in the car, the other probably has some culpability for not putting it back as previously set. However, it would be a very small amount.

By the way, are you the same Morning Star from FAIR that has issues with mayonnaise?