Doctrine Questions

Pookies

Hello, all, I am hoping these questions can be resolved for me. I was recently subjected to some severe "bashing", and one of the things they said was that Mormons believe that Jesus was a polygamist. I have been a member of the Church for 30 years and have never heard such a thing. Is it true, or are they just misinformed, as bashers usually are?

Also, someone mentioned something about "seven veils"...I've never heard of that either....can someone explain what they could have been referring to?

Hello, Pookies. Welcome to the site. :)

As you know, members of the LDS church have a wide variety of opinions on a wide variety of matters. Jesus' marital status is one of those things. I have never heard an official declaration of the Savior's marital status as a doctrine that every member has to believe. I encourage you to study for yourself in the scriptures and on The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Here is another place to find some opinion and study that may be helpful to you (not an official lds source).

Was Jesus Christ married? - FAIRMormon

Remember that doctrine is faith, repentance, baptism, and the gift of the Holy Ghost; loving God and all men; etc. These things are doctrine.

Even if certain subject matters and their trivia rise to the level of becoming a "fact" in our minds individually and/or collectively -- facts or "facts" are not doctrine. Doctrine is as the Savior said in 3 Nephi 11:29-41.

BTW, I have never heard of the seven veils. But go study and pray! God bless.

Derrick Evensons the Gainsayers book had some arguments for a married jesus. One was that Jesus was called Rabbi a title reserved for married men. In John 2 Jesus was in control of the wine which was the duty of the bridegroom. Though he appears to be treated as an invited guest. In John 11 Jesus calls out a woman in mourning which only a husband can do. In Mark 16 certain women came to anoint Jesus body with "sweet spices." If i recall right Derrick claimed this was the duty of the widow, or widows. Though i am sure the wife could have assistants.

His book is an LDS apologetic book. Horizon is the publisher. The author is Ex-LDS now. And has a times been a rabid critic of the LDS Church. His book still has value.

I am uncertain whether these arguments prove Jesus was married for sure. but i have not read a critic of the LDS Church deal with these type of arguments. They are to busy mocking how horrid it is of an idea that Jesus could have been married.

I am a Reorganized LDS (Community of Christ). Some of our members have been very critical of the idea expressed by some LDS leaders that Jesus was married. I usually bring up the arguments for a married Jesus to educate them a little on the reasons behind this belief.

Another phenomenon...when people are unfamiliar with a faith or a people, and then meet someone, often they assume that this one person is a completely accurate representation of the group. In my early years in Korea I learned so many things. In my later years, I found that much of what I had learned was only partially true--and often not enough true to draw any conclusions.

As an example, it might shock some non-LDS to discover that you're not all Republicans. LOL Concerning non-official beliefs, for example, some embrace the concept of "born again," while others see it as "too Baptist" or "too Evangelical." Some find much in common with evangelical mores and even some doctrine, while others have been much hurt by evangelicals who try to missionize y'all--particularly those who do so brutishly.

LOL, I didn't realize that people thought all Mormons are Republicans. I'm not. ^_^

Just for the record I'm not a Democrat either. I don't like the whole two party thing. Our founding fathers were not party politicians. Ugh...I'm going off topic...

:P

Edit: I've never heard the above concerns either. 7 veils?? :huh:

Hello, all, I am hoping these questions can be resolved for me. I was recently subjected to some severe "bashing", and one of the things they said was that Mormons believe that Jesus was a polygamist. I have been a member of the Church for 30 years and have never heard such a thing.

There were a few early Church Authorities that taught this at the pulpit, it is true. But as has been stated already in this thread, that does not make it true, nor does it make it 'doctrine'.

Also, someone mentioned something about "seven veils"...I've never heard of that either....can someone explain what they could have been referring to?

That's a new one on me...

HiJolly

Hello, all, I am hoping these questions can be resolved for me. I was recently subjected to some severe "bashing", and one of the things they said was that Mormons believe that Jesus was a polygamist. I have been a member of the Church for 30 years and have never heard such a thing. Is it true, or are they just misinformed, as bashers usually are?

Are you referring to the Gospel of Mark [secret Gospel] when he mentioning the inner sanctuary:

"...into the innermost sanctuary of that truth hidden by seven veils.":confused:

The Seven Veils a dance performed by Salomé, in exchange for the Head of John the Baptist. I imagine it was pretty hot!

I don't know what the person was referring to in mentioning seven veils. The person bashing Mormons mentioned it.

Are you referring to the Gospel of Mark [secret Gospel] when he mentioning the inner sanctuary:

"...into the innermost sanctuary of that truth hidden by seven veils.":confused:

The thought of Jesus being married doesn't particularly bother me, and it wouldn't make me change my viewpoint about Mormonism, even if it did become "doctrine".

It does make sense that He would be, given our beliefs. I brought it up in this thread because I've just never heard of it before, but it would be fine with me.

The thought of Jesus as a polygamist is new to me. As others have pointed out it has been speculated about Jesus' marital status (ie. The Da Vinci Code - great movie BTW). But I don't think I've ever heard to multiple wives. The first thing that crossed my mind with the Seven Veils was Ali Baba, but Salome and John the Baptist makes sense. You should ask these people to provide you with some sources.

Catholics believe that nuns are maried to Christ but I know of no official LDS doctrine that he was even married. There is speculation but if someone is going to bash you based on speculation - they are not Christian. Not even close. I would not value any such opinion.

The Traveler