Time to Drill?

Guest Username-Removed

Executive orders have been so abused. This isn't their purpose. The executive and the judicial branches don't make laws. Right now there is a law that needs to be retracted and the only branch with that authority is the legislative. Despite popular opinion even the judicial branch doesn't have this authority. We need to get our government working properly again.

Totally agree. Even a bluff of making that order alone would show the world we mean business and would drop oil prices overnight even if nothing actually happened.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Username-Removed

This is simply the stock market! - The oil futures pricing, which determines the price of crude, is what we need to focus on. The stock market lives by this .... "Buy on rumor, sell on news". We need people to SELL oil "stocks" - in order to do that, we have to give the impression (news) that there is, or will be, too much supply. Once it hits the news, the price will drop like a rock. We simply need to make some news about it, and of course, drill more, use less, and .......

DRILL, DRILL, DRILL!!!!!

Edited by WordFLOOD

My husband wants to get a motorcycle for the days he doesn't need to drive his truck to lug around supplies or tools. It makes me nervous because his brother bit it on his motorcycle twice within a few months and knocked his front teeth out (luckily it wasn't worse). We're spending about $800 a month on gas now because of my husband's job and needing a truck to do it.

We are buying a scooter later today for similar reasons.

I struggle with the argument that we are all whining and not doing enough. I mean, We don't drive like I used to. We carpool and walk and bike when it makes sense to do so. But we live remote. Driving is essential. So what else can we do? Knock down the doors of our congressman maybe. But then again, congress has been working on this problem for 50 years and tripping over itself every step of the way. The problem IS supply and demand. The problem is the dollar. The problem is complicated by war and the economy! The problem is special interests and USA's inability to get out of its own way.

I am sorry, but what else can the average American do? And with all the variety of helpful theories, which cause does one get behind? It seems some go here and some go there. But how do you get anywhere with such buckshot effort? We need a direct approach. My only answer is drill at home. It is the only interim answer while we do develop more technology. And then perhaps something needs to be done about the outrageous efforts of companies to stop production on things like electric cars. It is not like we don't have the technology. Not to mention the demand!

Edited by Misshalfway

Folks, the problem really is that we are moving into a global economy, oil is produced and distributed to other countries as well so the demand is not just an American demand and the fact that gas prices are going up so much is also attributed to the falling value of the US dollar so it's not so much that gas and groceries are going up so much as the value of the dollar is going down. So conserve or don't conserve, but don't be fooled into thinking that if you drive a scooter instead of the family wagon that it will affect the environment or the (world) economy. Do it because you will live providently and because it will only benefit your family income.

What about the notion that this price runup has nothing to do with supply? The only people who would benefit from more drilling are those who make a profit from oil.

I think we should quit consuming so much. There was a fellow interviewed on NPR yesterday who talked about "needing" his Ford Excursion because he has five kids. He reports that he gets between 8 & 10 mpg. He could fit his family into a Toyota Sienna and get 19-26 mpg. He's welcome to drive whatever he wants to, but he ought to examine the definition of "like to" versus "need to." ;)

There's plenty of oil, and the stuff is gross. We need to get it out of the ground and use it up. When the world's supply really runs low, those alternative energy sources will be developed because the market demands them.

BTW, Toyato Sienna's are very expensive, and an excursion hauls lots of luggage or other cargo. It can also pull a trailer. So, for family vacations or travel, there's no comparison. Now, my family, using a Durango (11/14 mpg)--we probably should have considered a van. On the other hand...can't sell it now, it's in good shape...what would you have us do?

Guest Username-Removed

There is a guy who invented a way to take Hydrogen directly from water in real time without the need for an expensive storage tank. The problem is that the process is fairly constant, not good for throttle based applications. However, if a company were to couple his technology in an electric car with a hydrogen motor charging system. You would have a clean running car that filled up with tap water.

His technology is already being used in cars to supplement gasoline engine thus increasing fuel economy. It wouldnt be that much of a leap to take it to the next level.

Edited by WordFLOOD

If not air propulsion vehicles...:D

AMAZING AIR CAR!

The Compressed Air Car, developed by

Motor Development International (MDI)

Founder Guy Negre, might be the best thing to

happen to the motor engine, and people all

over the world.

The $12,700 CityCAT, one of the planned

Air Car models, reaches 68 mph, goes for a

range of 125 miles. It will take only a few

minutes for the CityCAT to refuel at

gas stations equipped with custom air

compressor units. MDI says it should cost

only around $2 to fill the car up with

340 liters of air!

There is a guy who invented a way to take Hydrogen directly from water in real time without the need for an expensive storage tank. The problem is that the process is fairly constant, not good for throttle based applications. However, if a company were to couple his technology in an electric car with a hydrogen motor charging system. You would have a clean running car that filled up with tap water.

His technology is already being used in cars to supplement gasoline engine thus increasing fuel economy. It wouldnt be that much of a leap to take it to the next level.

My son and I discussed yesterday about having such technology.

I have been doing some research and there is much more to the problem than drilling.

• Currently oil leases are sold to the highest bidder. Many current oil wells have been caped off while still in peak production. This is so the owner of the lease can maximize their profits as the cost of oil goes up.
  • Current environmental laws in the USA make it next to impossible to build new refineries. Even if we had more oil we do not have the capacity to refine it.
  • The two political parties in the USA are fighting for power and control and blocking each other from moving forward – we are like crabs in a pot pulling back each other from getting out.

I suggest we do a couple of things while we open up more drilling possibilities.

• Oil leases should not be sold but rented. The lease should be for an amount of oil as well as a period of time. If the lease is not utilized for a period of time the holder of the lease should lose it. If a well produces more than expected a premium should be paid for the extra oil.
  • No new leases should allow for the driller to export the oil to other markets outside the USA without government approval.
  • New refineries need to be built using the latest and best technology even if the environmental laws need to be relaxed. This also needs to be done as a declared national emergency.

I do not think that drilling right now will make a dimes worth of difference. I do not believe that congress is serious about doing anything for the people. I do not believe this will get better – but it will get worse. I do believe we are about to see some life style changes.

And for what it is worth department – one of the results of not keeping the Sabbath holy is that the highways will become desolate.

The Traveler

Nothing will bring down prices today except a tipping point in perception. Getting off and doing something to increase out petroleum supplies would be an improvement. Letting Cuba drill the Gulf is about par for the course. Any speculation in petroleum markets is justified by our record of ignorance in defining a cogent energy policy. And now our U.S presidential candidates * and * are talking about it, the issues surrounding recent discussions on US offshore drilling for oil has significant impact for all Americans.

Edited by skalenfehl
Rule #7--No posting of political candidates

The prices would not be this high if OPEC stopped buying energy futures...the hand was caught in the till to see who the culprit was and why our old model of SUPPLY & DEMAND was removed for pure speculation. Even today, nothing to do with demand, it jumped 4.00 dollars per barrel or 16-cent at the pump for what? Because of the dollar? Hmmm....I didn't know that the dollar was that important to feed those green backs into my tank. My tank runs on pure gasoline. See the reasoning? It is scam...now, what they do realize, there time is coming to an end. They are now buying up corn futures? Why? LOL

As an old blogged typist and insider for two auto giants for the last seven years, we finally reasoned with a few bean counters is not to place to much capital into hybrids as the replacement. A more diverged the vehicle line that range from dino for super sports to lithium II electrical vehicles for the ultra green. Yes, we still need the SUV and trucks – as I stick my tongue at those weenies that want to hung the tree while killing off the people jobs. However, the fine line of replacing the aged old Otter designed engines is coming to an end and will be replaced with a more efficient line of power plants.

Ok...I am now off my soap-box. Sorry!!!!!

Unlimited amount of water on Earth...hmmmm...drinkable water? ...

The drought here was bad....imagine if we had to allocate fresh water for fuel as well. Yummo, drinking recyled sewerage water as your household water supply....safe as...purer than natural water. Scientists say so. Bother you any? At 100% of the water supply? Not much choice mate. Will if I have to. They are building the facilities to recyle our sewerage water...just a matter of being that desperate to do it once they are completed. Luckily...we have rain at the moment. Probably won't need to.

Currently we have a limit of 140Litres per day a household...(36.9 gallons)....what volume would I need to run a water powered car...and how much water would I be left with to live on? You see, you do need to run a certain amount of water through the system so that everything flows smoothly. When sewerage pipes block things become very unpleasant.

...water as fuel sure would affect those dry, oil producing countries ...and the landlocked countries wouldn't have much hope with desalination....I guess they could mine the water out of the air...if they have enough humidity to make that viable...not that I want to be a downer or anything...

*LIGHTBULB MOMENT*...but....there is a solution.....we could use our recyled sewerage water to power our cars...sure would test how clean the stuff is. Yep...too easy...release the 'purified' sewerage water into the air as vapour and breathe the freshness of airborne recyled piss. No potential for biological disasters there at all ; ) And when they say the rain is really pissing down....it will be true ; )

I was reading a 10 year old govt publication on water, it said an average 1300 billion gallons of water per day flow in Americas rivers and streams. At the time, the US was using about 1/3 that amount, but we don't get it all from rivers, we get a lot of it from groundwater - aquifers and whatnot.

I don't think we'll be running out of water any time soon. It's just that the cost of getting existing water from where it is, to where it's needed, might get higher and higher.

LM

Guest Username-Removed

The earth has the same amount of water its had for billions of years. The problem is that there are more people carrying it around in the form of thier bodies. Also, there are people in areas where there are climate changes and therefore less rainfall. As far as cars using up water, remember when you burn hydrogen, what comes out the tail pipe is water.

Guest Username-Removed

They have also invented ways to liquify coal so it can be burned in an internal combustion engine. I was watching the Myth Busters the other day, and they tried to make an engine run on Black Powder. Now, if we can liquify that, that would solve a lot of problems!