Rising Costs and Saving Money

It seems everyone is looking for ways to save here and there. I thought that maybe we could share some ways this economic condition has caused you to re-evaluate the way you spend your money.

1. People I have spoken to have told me that they are now driving slower to save gas.

2. I have tried to use my dishwasher at non peak hours (night time).

I watch what I eat. I don't eat junk food and stick to a certain amount of servings of veggies, fruits, meats, dairies, etc daily. This keeps me in a good small budget and I still get all my nutrition in. Food is not so much a random thing for me. This helps my budget out a lot. You can actually live on good, healthy food from the produce, dairy, meat and bakery section for a week what you'd spend on junk food and fast food each week.

Another money saving tip is keep all the lights turned off in your house unless you're in that room. Everyone can spend time in the same one or two rooms, conserving power. When you're done in a room, turn the light off. Keeping your thermostat down is also another way to keep your power bill down. You don't use the cooler or furnace as much. And change that filter regularly.

Guest Username-Removed

Here is what I did

1) My cut my rental Storage/Garage - Saving was $65 a month

2) Shop at Costco for 80% of my food - Savings over 20%

3) Sold my car that got 25mpg for a newer car that gets over 35 mpg

4) No more lunches out - I take my lunch every day and only eat out once a week.

5) I also look at my expenses every week and think about how I can limit those.

6) I volunteer to work 1-2 hours of overtime everyday. That adds up in a hurry.

7) No more road trips.

8) My hobby has shifted from ATVs to Fishing - The nearest fishing point is only 10 minutes away.

The list goes on - but simply looking at your check book or bank statement every week will give you a ton of ideas.

Maintain your furnace, air conditioner, and cars once a year, and change the oil regularly. Between the three you can expect to spend about $500 a year, but the things will last several years longer. In the long run, it's a pretty big gain. Also, if you have a lawn mower, have it serviced at least every two years.

If you want to save money on gas, check out some hypermiling sites. They give good tips, but be careful at stop signs and please do NOT draft big trucks. Safety is more precious than money.

We have Central Air and we have turned our temp up to 74 from 72 or 73 in past years. I have also heard something about closing off our upstairs cold air returns (we have a rambler) to have the cooler air sucked from the basement... We have not tried that one yet.

We are vigilant about turning off lights and keeping doors closed. We open all the blinds and shutters so that natural light comes in. We also put in the efficient light bulbs and changed the settings on the furnace and AC. We just got our bills and realized we had lowered our energy consumption by 30% since this same time last year. During the winter relied on the gas burning fireplace to heat the main floor. The kids sometimes wore sock and wrapped up in blankets, but it saved on our monthy bills.

I also patch the kids clothes and do the hand-me-down thing. That has really helped. I try to buy good quality clothes that wash up nice and last. I am not that great at it, but my SIL finds the best deals on clothing and is an avid coupon shopper. She saves a ton of money on clipping coupons and doubling up with the store and manufacturer coupons.

We are looking to save money other ways because our city is raising taxes. YUCK!

Sometimes changing just the brand of your usual foods can save alot...

Also living off what you would have in food storage... Meaning the same types of foods - not what you have in food storage itself

Your food storage should be the same exact foods you eat on a regular basis. Set your food storage up like it is your grocery store. If your family does not like boxed mac-n-cheese where you add butter and milk, then do not have it in your food storage.

I discovered that Husband and I really dislike the canned beef I have in storage. The picture on the can is not what is in the can. Here I have 5 cans of this icky food, now what do I do with it? I ended up giving it to a member of the church for their dog. The silly animal loved it. They heated it up, made up an envelope of brown gravy mix (that they discovered they disliked) and topped off the dogs dry food with it. They now have something in food storage for their dog to eat that doesn't take food away from them.

The stores here have 10 for $10.00 or 20 for $10.00. When that is canned vegetables, I stock up on canned corned, creamed corn, kitchen cut green beans and beets. I have a large tub/tote filled with Idaho instant potatoes. Got them when they were 10 for $10.00 plus if you bought 10 you got them at 0.50 each. Made two trips to the store for the entire 7 days that sale was on. I was only able to apply that $5.00 off bonus to 20 packets per trip through the register.

I hit the store before work and then again after work. It is on my way so I didn't waste any gas at all.

Now I didn't get all potatoes, there were other things that were on sale. 1 pint plastic jars of Del Monte fruit, Albertson's Ketsup and mustard, Lea and Perrin Worcestershire sauce.

Some of the sale items were 5 for $10.00, or 4 for $10.00. Husband loves Marie Callandar pot pies for breakfast or lunch. They were on sale for 5 for $10. If you bought all five you got $5.00 off.

Our cupboards are full, so is our freezer and all I need to get is fresh produce for the rest of this month and next.

I wait until my food storage items are over half empty, then I buy to fill it up. Just like I did when I worked in the grocery store and ordered for my aisles. I built up to 4,6,10,12 or 24, depending on how the case came and what would fit on the shelves. Also, when you bring the food home, pull the old out, put in the new then the old. ROTATE. At the store, before you buy, check the Buy Before date. Reach back and get one from the second or third row and see what the date is. This is going in YOUR food storage so you want the freshest possible.

Believe it or not, the food in vacuumed sealed pouches does go bad. I am talking Velveeta Shells and Cheese. I had four outdated by 4 months boxes and the cheese was AWFULL!!! I tossed it, and had to use cream of cheddar soup instead. The three boxes that were the same date- I kept the macaroni shells and tossed the cheese packets out.

Now I am considering not buying any mac-n-cheese in a box period. The cream of cheddar soup worked great! No adding extra water *. The only water I used was to boil the shells in. Husband and I prefer the corkscrew pasta to noodles and shells or even elbow. They are easier to pick up with a fork, and they hold more sauce. PLUS I get the vegetable ones- colored ones. Makes a lively macaroni salad!

* I use dehydrated cheddar soup mix, then use the water from the cooked macaroni. Because of the starch in the macaroni, you need to use more water than what it calls for to make a sauce. Works great! I added about a tablespoon of evaporated milk, just to get a creamer taste.

Try Velveeta with your lobster instead of Camembert.

Ick- I use clarified butter - mmmmmmm.

If your tires are low, inflate them to proper pressure.

A tire guage is cheap, and fits in the glove box. The car I have now tells me when a tire is low- love it!

Roll your windows down versus the air conditioner when not driving on the freeway.

THAT does not work here in Pinal County in the summer time. 100 -120 degrees out!!! Can you spell Convection Oven?

we try to but supermarket own brand instead of the more expensive brands. You can't really tell the difference and it saves so much. I also take left over dinner to work with me. I also set a budget for certain things, like, 6 pounds for my lunches aqll week. Its amazing what you can do when you put your mind to it!!

we have shopped at Aldi's for years and still do....its a box store...our food budget is 100.00 a week and we are always under it....just recently we found a place we can order food and its called Angel Food Ministry....I believe most of you have this in your area...try to google it ....its worth the time and trouble...

Question

how does not running your appiances at "peak" hours make a diference?

my meter man checks my usage x1 month.. theres no hourly use hookup.. they dont know if I used it at 5 am or 5 pm ?!?

I have cut back all we can.. I have a black belt in couponing so we do good there.. $400 mo for 10 people and a couple animals and that includes building food storage

we dont use a/c and we hang our clothes.. no cable or cell phone bills

When I set the AC, I only set it to 78/79, but I have fans on (2, max.) I think that saves some elec... The fans keep it cooler so the air doesn't kick on as often. Also, I draw all the blinds and such, and turn the lights off. It keeps the sun and heat out, which keeps it cooler.

My roommate turns off the computer all the time, monitor, too. He's lucky I don't kick him... >_>