Is it tacky to bring your own snacks to the movie theater?

RainofGold

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh here's an other justification.

They don't sell diet Root Beer at the theater, so I need to bring my own.

I get light headed with out sugar, it's a medical thing, so I need to bring my own.

I don't like their brand of water.

etc etc etc:)

Personally, I think it is tacky. The ticket prices go towards paying the basic bills for the theater, while employees get their salary from food sales. If sales go way down, theater employees might be laid off, especially if a theater has to close. I prefer to eat before I go to the movies, but I do get popcorn because I love it. I don't drink much soda anyway, so I'm more likely to drink from the fountain after buying my popcorn.

My son worked at a huge 24 screen theater for a while several years ago. he said they didn't care if people brought their own stuff in. They make enough profit on just the tickets.

Other theaters do post signs, but when they charge $3.00 for a candy bar you can get for 50 cents at the store next door, they are just inviting people to bring in their own snacks.

Going to the movies is getting very expensive, $10.50 to $11.00 for each ticket. On top of that, the popcorn, candy, nachos, hot dogs and sodas, X 4.

When we go to the movies with my husband he doesn't like me bringing outside food. He says it looks tacky and he rather spent $30 to $40 on snacks than going through the embarrassment of people seeing him with outside food.

Is not like I'm bringing burritos or hamburgers with french fries, I just bring candy bars, soda or water, and sometimes chips. Is this a guy thing because they feel they can't provide for their families?

When I told him that I always do it with the kids when we go alone he said that I shouldn't because we "have the money" to buy them like everybody else.

What do you guys think, is he right on this?

if it is an entire pizza (as my parents have tried - more than once - to bring), i could say it may be a little tacky.

I might buy their soda....but I would have my M&M's and maybe Dots...:)

I buy the sodas, but I'm on water tablets for high blood pressure, so I spend part of the movie heading to the lieu. I don't eat too much candy, etc. anyway except around...the Holidays, so it is often a non-issue. But I still don't think it's tacky.

O43

Articles of Faith: 12 We believe in being asubject to bkings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in cobeying, honoring, and sustaining the dlaw.

13 aWe believe in being bhonest, true, cchaste, dbenevolent, virtuous, and in doing egood to all men; indeed, we may say that we follow the admonition of Paul—We believe all things, we fhope all things, we have endured many things, and hope to be able to gendure all things. If there is anything hvirtuous, ilovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things.

In every theatre I have been in, at the front doors there are placards that state- No Food or Drink allowed. That is the Law of the Theatre.

Is it honest to bring in your own food and drink? No it isn't.

Shame on all of those who once held the mantle of Bishop/Branch President, and those who do now hold any calling within a Bishopric/Stake Presidency for stating that Yes, it is okay to bring in your own food and drink. It is not the honest thing to do.

It makes no difference how much you pay for tickets, that does not give you an excuse to be dishonest.

Yes, Rainofgold, it IS tacky and dishonest to bring in your own foods and drink.

Now, when you sit down with your Bishop at your Temple Recommend interview and he asks you if you have dealt fairly with your fellow man, tell him how you bring in your own food and drinks to the theater because you feel they over charge you for food, and you pay enough in tickets to pay for the film and ALL of the theater's overhead. Then come back and let's hear what he has to say about that.

In every theatre I have been in, at the front doors there are placards that state- No Food or Drink allowed. That is the Law of the Theatre.

Is it honest to bring in your own food and drink? No it isn't.

Shame on all of those who once held the mantle of Bishop/Branch President, and those who do now hold any calling within a Bishopric/Stake Presidency for stating that Yes, it is okay to bring in your own food and drink. It is not the honest thing to do.

It makes no difference how much you pay for tickets, that does not give you an excuse to be dishonest.

Yes, Rainofgold, it IS tacky and dishonest to bring in your own foods and drink.

Now, when you sit down with your Bishop at your Temple Recommend interview and he asks you if you have dealt fairly with your fellow man, tell him how you bring in your own food and drinks to the theater because you feel they over charge you for food, and you pay enough in tickets to pay for the film and ALL of the theater's overhead. Then come back and let's hear what he has to say about that.

I will ask.

I think it's tacky (though that's not quite the right word for it), but being the imperfect man that I am, I will confess that I have been known to sneak in a treat or two in the past. I know it's not right and I haven't done it in a long time. Alas I still have my own crooked corners to hammer straight. Where's my sledgehammer?

:D Playing the devils advocate...

If its a sin to bring in food and drink is it a sin to cause others to sin by your greed?

1 sin + 1 sin = 0 sins, because they cancel each other out.

1 good sin deserves another good sin.

Do unto others what is done unto you...

Funny thing, I haven't been out to a movie in a couple of years; yesterday afternoon my sis invited me to go with her and my niece to see a movie.

My sis made the decision, several years ago, to drink no beverage with caffeine in it. Most restaurants and theatres will have Diet Coke, but not Diet Caffeine Free Coke...so she stops at a convenience store to buy one for during the movie. They also did not have it...she comes out with a bottle of water. :eek: Her reasoning was, she likes this particular brand, "and anyway, it's cheaper this way." :lol::lol: