What are your thoughts on the Phrase: When I was on my mission?

ama49

Maybe it should be re-worded "When I was on The Lord's mission...." ?

I know someone who always seems to use the well-worn phrase every time he gives a talk or bears his testimony and it does become a little tiresome after a while. There are times when it is relevant and other times when it can be left out and not detract from the spirit of what the speaker is telling.

As for "my mission president said.........." I cannot help remembering a certain mission president who preached more of the "doctrine according to President 'X' " than the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

However, I am among the members that didn’t serve on a mission and thus I will never know what it will be like to bring the Restored Gospel to other people.

Now that's just not true. :) The few missionary experiences that I've had outside of my full-time mission have been sweeter and more meaningful to me than many of the experiences I had while on my mission.

Those of us who don't like the phrase don't like it because (among other reasons) the non-mission missionary experiences are much more meaningful to us.

But you're right otherwise...just because I or my husband or my Sunday School teacher or anyone else in the Sunday School class went on a mission, doesn't mean that we are better, smarter, more worthy, or more spiritual than you.

I personally don't see the harm. To be upset at something so trivial might fall in the catgory of unrighteous judgment when trying to figure out their motive.

I think it would be stranger for someone to get up in a talk and say:

When I wasn't on my mission, this or that never happened?:D

I enjoyed everyone's comments about this subject. My point goes along with abqfriend in that the mission field is everywhere and we need to be careful not to soley rely on our experiences we had in the mission. I hope we all keep our candles burning and do the things that allowed us to feel so close to God while on the mission.

I was thinking on this subject and had 2 good thoughts. Since it's rare enough to have 1 good thought, I just knew I had to share both.

1. I use the phrase more when I am speaking to the youth of the church. I want them to understand how important serving a mission is to me and how it affected my life. Lest any of you think I'm a judgmental wench if someone chooses not to serve a mission, I may express my disappointment ("I'm sorry you decided to not go on a mission"), but then let it go ("but, now you can see me every day while in this ward! Aren't you the lucky one? Sure you don't want to go on a mission??").

When I taught youth SS (I taught the 12-13 y/o), I ALWAYS had a story to go with the lesson. Usually it was a story from my life, and often from my mission. The kids would groan, "Oh Sis. Beef! Not another mission story!" But I had several of the kids tell me privately that they liked my stories and I remember one kid in particular who groaned the loudest used one of my stories in a sacrament talk he had to give (it was over a year after I had been released and I rejoiced to know that he was listening in class!).

2. My mission was not the only spiritual high I've ever had. Yes, I learned a lot from my mission. But as I told a girl friend of mine who was contemplating serving a mission, she can gain experiences and grow spiritually without serving a mission. It's just that a mission forces it on you in a more time driven method. I had spiritual highs before my mission and since my mission. I remember a home teacher I had while at BYU (before my mission)--he said (paraphrasing) that if one says that the mission was the best 2 years of his life, then he isn't living his life right.

I remember a home teacher I had while at BYU (before my mission)--he said (paraphrasing) that if one says that the mission was the best 2 years of his life, then he isn't living his life right.

I had a Sunday School teacher who said that if your mission was the best two years of your life, you were an abused child.

Guest SisterofJared

My thoughts on the phrase "When I was on my mission".....

I hope I get to use that phrase someday!

Hoping that a senior mission is in store one day......

SoJ

I admit to getting a bit of guilty pleasure out of using "When I was on a mission," at this site. Newcomers get curious when I tell them it was 6 1/2 years. I'm pretty quick to say--btw, I'm not LDS, though. There can be a fine line between a bit of fun and willfully misdirection people. :-)

I had a Sunday School teacher who said that if your mission was the best two years of your life, you were an abused child.

I think my mission was probably a lot like your teacher's. In the words of Sister Mary Lazarus (Sister Act):

"It was hell on earth. I loved it!"

(except I didn't love it. But . . . whatever. I did my duty, hopefully did a bit of good in the area where I served, learned a lot, and it's over now . . .)

I loved my mission....it was tough.....had a strict Mission Pres....needed that in my life.....taught me alot of things....alot of things happened that I will never never forget, both good and bad. Met alot of good people both members and non members and aill never forget them.

That was my Sunday School teacher's point: that a mission shouldn't be the best two years OF your life, but rather the best two years FOR your life.

There are numerous ways to say "When I was on my mission".

Try this:

When I was on my mission... (point in time in my life)

When I was on my mission... (emphasis on MY mission - for comparison purposes)

When you say this phrase, it depends on where the emphasis is on.

Personally, I may use it more for "point in time" rather than for comparison purposes.

I also think it depends on WHO you are saying it TO.

For example: I can't stand saying that phrase to other missionaries who are currently serving. Somehow it belittles THEIR service... and I'm not about to do that.

I say it more "introspectively" while I'm trying to recall the experience, not to say 'This is how it is' or 'This is the way it ought to be'.

I hope I'm making sense.

I ditto Paleriders comments.

I personally feel that the two years I served almost 46 years ago were wonderful. I Just received a telephone call from my Bishop telling me that my wife and my senior mission call is in the mail. We had applied on December 31st.

I am uncomfortable with saying "when I served My mission". I prefer to say "when I served on the Lords mission". Plus We have been warned so we must warn our neighbor, in otherwords we are all on a mission to share the Gospel.

Edited by darrel

I loved my mission....it was tough.....had a strict Mission Pres....needed that in my life.....taught me alot of things....alot of things happened that I will never never forget, both good and bad. Met alot of good people both members and non members and aill never forget them.

why is it i can see you in a Canadian Monastry with no running water or electricity:)

-Charley

I ditto Paleriders comments.

I personally feel that the two years I served almost 46 years ago were wonderful. I Just received a telephone call from my Bishop telling me that my wife and my senior mission call is in the mail. We had applied on December 31st.

I am uncomfortable with saying "when I served My mission". I prefer to say "when I served on the Lords mission". Plus We have been warned so we must warn our neighbor, in otherwords we are all on a mission to share the Gospel.

Wow that's awesome that you are going on another mission. I'm anxious to hear where you two will be serving. That's exciting.