HBO Recreates Portions of Temple Ceremony

lusciouschaos

As others have said, you are playing right into their hands. I predict this "Big Love" episode will probably be their highest rated one, and you want to know why... Because you (LDS) started talking about it and making a big stink. Now people who normally would not watch the show are going to say to themselves, "Hmmm... I wonder what the Mormons don't want us to see." and watch it. You couldn't have started a better advertising campaign for the show, and to think you did it all gratis (for free).

Edited by Book_of_Mormon_Warrior

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also had time to think about it, cool off, and read a lot of online responses last night.

The producers want to provoke a reaction from us.

I gave a lesson in priesthood 2 weeks ago about not leaving High ground. Lehonti in the Book of Mormon gave in and left high ground when his enemies taunted him and provoked him, and he left the safe places where he had the advantage and his entire army was overtaken. On the other hand we have Nehemiah who did the opposite:

NEHEMIAH CH. 6

1 NOW it came to pass, when aSanballat, and Tobiah, and Geshem the Arabian, and the rest of our enemies, heard that I had builded the wall, and that there was no breach left therein; (though at that time I had not set up the doors upon the gates;)

2 That Sanballat and Geshem sent unto me, saying, Come, let us meet together in some one of the villages in the plain of Ono. But they thought to do me amischief.

3 And I sent messengers unto them, saying, I am doing a great work, so that I cannot come down: why should the work cease, whilst I leave it, and come down to you?

It is still hard to not want to punch Tom Hanks in his glasses, but anger is exactly what the adversary wants.

Agreed. 1: Brigham Young said something to the effect of "You can't kick the church down the stairs. you can only kick it up them." (Uber-paraphrased there). The humble seeker of truth will find truth, even in the midst of lies and mistruths.

2. Fools mock what they don't understand. The makers of this show mock the practice of polygamy. Now, in an attempt to mock Mormon temple ordinances, they will mock these sacred ceremonies.

3: Any information included about the temple ceremony will be from second hand sources, or 1st hand sources who willfully walked away from sacred covenants that they made with God. What does the Bible say about those who violate covenants? Paul includes them in a list of evil behaviors, calling them "Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful: Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them." (Romans 1:31-32) Though they might repressent parts of the temple ceremony, their interpretation and presentation of them should be seen as the works of evil men who took on sacred covenants of their own free will, and then betrayed them.

4. This isn't the first anti-mormon publication to feature information about the Temple. I believe The Godmakers includes actual footage from the temple ceremony. Still hasn't stopped the church from growing any.

5. Like Stampede said. They want to provoke a reaction out of us and draw publicity to their program. Most of the time these emails that report these kinds of "scandals" are initiated by the company that makes the show. They do it to draw attention to their show and boost ratings.

Edited by captmoroniRM
Typos

4. This isn't the first anti-mormon publication to feature information about the Temple. I believe The Godmakers includes actual footage from the temple ceremony. Still hasn't stopped the church from growing any.

I understand why this feels like an anti-Mormon endeavor, but I don't think it is.

I think the maker's of the show are looking for ratings, not to purposely cause harm to the Church.

Obviously, they don't care if it does; however, I don't think non-Mormons can understand how deeply the Saints feel about the temple's sacredness. To non-Mormons, with no exposure to these beliefs, it is just an interesting ritual.

To me, an anti-Mormon is an activist whose sole involvement with the Church is to berate it in order to cause members to leave, or to prevent converts from joining.

While the makers of Big Love may be aware there is possibly a risk of negatively affecting the Church, it is not their sole purpose to destroy it. Their sole purpose is to make ratings, and therefore, money.

Elphaba

I posted the original thread last night and read many of the thoughtful responses.

This morning I received an e-mail from a local Public Affairs representative here in California. Here is a portion of that e-mail:

Many of you will see or hear about the impending broadcast of LDS Temple ceremonies and exploitation of our sacred temple clothes by HBO "Big Love" this week. TV Guide will deliver an ad showing one of the "Big Love" polygamist wives dressed in full temple clothes. It is already circulating on the internet. As has been their practice, the creatives of "Big Love" hijack our customs and sacred symbols and misrepresent them in settings of their own making. Please be aware that the executives of HBO made a commitment to the LDS Church at the outset of "Big Love" that they would never desecrate our sacred rites or clothing in promotion or in their drama.

Our Church leaders are fully informed and are considering whether to dignify the show with a response.

The head writer of "Big Love" this season, is Dustin Black, the recent Oscar-winner for "Milk." Raised a Mormon, he is clearly versed in our culture.

Brothers and Sisters, "Big Love" is not a ratings winner and we don't wish to build their ratings for them. TV Guide does not experience the readership it once had. Some of your friends and neighbors will see the images in print and see our temple ceremonies acted out in the drama. Perhaps the greatest position of strength for us, is to stand by our beliefs and teach the gospel. No, HBO does not represent accurately the sacred dress or beliefs or ceremonies of the LDS Church. Yes, like the Catholics, the Jews, the Muslims, the Buddhists and many other faiths, we do have some sacred ceremonial clothing for our Temples.

Our Temples are places where we unite our families forever. They are places where we go to learn the highest principles of character, honor, and devotion to God. THAT's what we can share with our neighbors and friends, and that kind of answer will no doubt....satisfy their questions.

Unless otherwise directed, at this sensitive time, I suggest theat Public Affairs leaders NOT urge response to the TV Guide ad, or to the HBO program.....and avoid increasing the show's ratings or attention.

According to industry sources, "Big Love" will end this season.

I do believe we are entering an era where members of the church will be required "to stand" for their beliefs. Most important is that we find the way to speak of our beliefs with dignity and an intent to clarify rather than blame or incent.

Here's the church's statement from lds.org

The Publicity Dilemma - LDS Newsroom

The Publicity Dilemma

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Print Email Article

Back

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SALT LAKE CITY 9 March 2009 Like other large faith groups, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints sometimes finds itself on the receiving end of attention from Hollywood or Broadway, television series or books, and the news media. Sometimes depictions of the Church and its people are quite accurate. Sometimes the images are false or play to stereotypes. Occasionally, they are in appallingly bad taste.

As Catholics, Jews and Muslims have known for centuries, such attention is inevitable once an institution or faith group reaches a size or prominence sufficient to attract notice. Yet Latter-day Saints – sometimes known as Mormons - still wonder whether and how they should respond when news or entertainment media insensitively trivialize or misrepresent sacred beliefs or practices.

Church members are about to face that question again. Before the first season of the HBO series Big Love aired more than two years ago, the show’s creators and HBO executives assured the Church that the series wouldn’t be about Mormons. However, Internet references to Big Love indicate that more and more Mormon themes are now being woven into the show and that the characters are often unsympathetic figures who come across as narrow and self-righteous. And according to TV Guide, it now seems the show’s writers are to depict what they understand to be sacred temple ceremonies.

Certainly Church members are offended when their most sacred practices are misrepresented or presented without context or understanding. Last week some Church members began e-mail chains calling for cancellations of subscriptions to AOL, which, like HBO, is owned by Time Warner. Certainly such a boycott by hundreds of thousands of computer-savvy Latter-day Saints could have an economic impact on the company. Individual Latter-day Saints have the right to take such actions if they choose.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints as an institution does not call for boycotts. Such a step would simply generate the kind of controversy that the media loves and in the end would increase audiences for the series. As Elder M. Russell Ballard and Elder Robert D. Hales of the Council of the Twelve Apostles have both said recently, Latter-day Saints in the public arena should conduct themselves with dignity and thoughtfulness.

Not only is this the model that Jesus Christ taught and demonstrated in his own life, but it also reflects the reality of the strength and maturity of Church members today. As someone recently said, “This isn’t 1830, and there aren’t just six of us anymore.” In other words, with a global membership of thirteen and a half million there is no need to feel defensive when the Church is moving forward so rapidly. The Church’s strength is in its faithful members in 170-plus countries, and there is no evidence that extreme misrepresentations in the media that appeal only to a narrow audience have any long-term negative effect on the Church.

Examples:

During the Mitt Romney election campaign for the presidency of the United States, commentator Lawrence O’Donnell hurled abuse at the Church in a television moment that became known among many Church members as “the O’Donnell rant.” Today, his statements are remembered only as a testament to intolerance and ignorance. They had no effect on the Church that can be measured.

When the comedy writers for South Park produced a gross portrayal of Church history, individual Church members no doubt felt uncomfortable. But once again it inflicted no perceptible or lasting damage to a church that is growing by at least a quarter of a million new members every year.

When an independent film company produced a grossly distorted version of the Mountain Meadows Massacre two years ago, the Church ignored it. Perhaps partly as a result of that refusal to engender the controversy that the producers hoped for, the movie flopped at the box office and lost millions.

In recent months, some gay activists have barraged the media with accusations about “hateful” attitudes of Latter-day Saints in supporting Proposition 8 in California, which maintained the traditional definition of marriage. They even organized a protest march around the Salt Lake Temple. Again, the Church has refused to be goaded into a Mormons versus gays battle and has simply stated its position in tones that are reasonable and respectful. Meanwhile, missionary work and Church members in California remain as robust and vibrant as ever, and support for the Church has come from many unexpected quarters — including some former critics and other churches.

Now comes another series of Big Love, and despite earlier assurances from HBO it once again blurs the distinctions between The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and the show’s fictional non-Mormon characters and their practices. Such things say much more about the insensitivities of writers, producers and TV executives than they say about Latter-day Saints.

If the Church allowed critics and opponents to choose the ground on which its battles are fought, it would risk being distracted from the focus and mission it has pursued successfully for nearly 180 years. Instead, the Church itself will determine its own course as it continues to preach the restored gospel of Jesus Christ throughout the world.

IPlease be aware that the executives of HBO made a commitment to the LDS Church at the outset of "Big Love" that they would never desecrate our sacred rites or clothing in promotion or in their drama.

. . .

The head writer of "Big Love" this season, is Dustin Black, the recent Oscar-winner for "Milk." Raised a Mormon, he is clearly versed in our culture.

I just wrote a post where I said the show's producers were not "anti-Mormons," at least in the technical sense.

I still don't think they are; however, given they assured the Church they wouldn't go there, I think it is a very thin line.

I also said non-memberrs would not realize how sacred the temple rites are to the members, and therefore, would not realize how seriously this would offend them; obviously I was wrong, giiven Black's background.

I do wonder why the author included Black's affiliation with "Milk." Given it is about Harvey Milk's gay activism, what does that have to do with exposing the temple rites?

Elphaba

To me, an anti-Mormon is an activist whose sole involvement with the Church is to berate it in order to cause members to leave, or to prevent converts from joining.

While the makers of Big Love may be aware there is possibly a risk of negatively affecting the Church, it is not their sole purpose to destroy it. Their sole purpose is to make ratings, and therefore, money.

I agree in part with your definition of Anti-mormon. I do agree that Anti-mormonism is more than just a disagreement with LDS beliefs, but an organized, persistant effort to discredit and destroy the church.

Perhaps I should rephrase that statement and say this isn't the first production made that has elements of the temple video in it. Whether the makers of this show qualify as "anti-mormon", we'll see. But for now, consider this an official rephrasement.

I do wonder why the author included Black's affiliation with "Milk." Given it is about Harvey Milk's gay activism, what does that have to do with exposing the temple rites?

Elphaba

I was actually wondering if Hanks' anger at the Church over its support of Proposition 8 had anything to do with the decision to include the temple rites in the show, effectively breaking the assurance HBO made to the Church about separating the fictional pseudo-Mormons on 'Big Love' from the real Mormons of the world.

At first, I was shocked, but I'm glad everyone has been reasonable and some posted the official LDS response. I think it makes sense: when smitten, turn the other cheek. Christ always wins in the battle between good and evil, and we can see that Big Love's producers are clearly not on the side of Christ.

Indeed. I will admit I wrote a short nasty-gram to HBO over it, especially after seeing the TV Guide image. But I figured, if the Church isn't making a big deal out of it, then neither should I. They know more about what is going on and so if this were to be a big thing, the Church would back a movement to stop it.

But this, bundled with Tom Hanks prop 8 comments that Mormons were unamerican for supporting prop 8, I have lost a lot of respect for Tom. As time goes on, I have a feeling we'll see more of Tom's criticism of Mormons, and I wouldn't be surprised if he one day joined the ranks of those worthy to be dubbed "Anti-mormon."

Elphaba

• Black is an ex-Mormon.
  • Black wrote the screenplay for a movie about the murder of a homosexual activist.

From (1), we may deduce that Black is not a friend to the LDS Church. From (2), we may deduce that Black is a friend to the pro-homosexual lobby.

Given points (1) and (2) above, and given that the LDS Church is an outspoken opponent of many of the goals of the pro-homosexual lobby, it seems entirely likely to the intelligent and unbiased mind that Black might be taking the opportunity to desecrate and cast aspersions on the LDS Church. Thus, bringing up Black's affiliation with "Milk" is entirely reasonable, for what I would have thought were obvious reasons.

http://www.lds.net/forums/current-events/19164-hbo-recreates-portions-temple-ceremony-4.html

I think that we should "so choose" and that we should start the emails around again.

I think this is strong encouragement by the church for us to "so choose". Of course they cannot officially say, but they can unofficial say it, and I think they have unofficially said it.

I'm sending this out.

I think we should each choose for ourselves, as instructed in the statement from the Church. I think if they wanted to tell us to speak out against it, they would have. They chose not to. Don't read more into it than that.

I agree with wingnut. Of COURSE the church could call for a boycot if they wanted. I don't see how it would be illegal for them not to.

Could and would.

The point of the whole statement is to say "it's not a big deal, and the bigger deal you make of it, the more publicity and attention the show gets, so leave it alone."

The church cannot officially put this around, but unofficially, they have said that we can make an impact through a boycott...

If you're going to refer to the Church's statement, you would do well to read the whole thing. You might then notice these parts.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints as an institution does not call for boycotts. Such a step would simply generate the kind of controversy that the media loves and in the end would increase audiences for the series.

...with a global membership of thirteen and a half million there is no need to feel defensive when the Church is moving forward so rapidly. The Church’s strength is in its faithful members in 170-plus countries, and there is no evidence that extreme misrepresentations in the media that appeal only to a narrow audience have any long-term negative effect on the Church.

If the Church allowed critics and opponents to choose the ground on which its battles are fought, it would risk being distracted from the focus and mission it has pursued successfully for nearly 180 years. Instead, the Church itself will determine its own course as it continues to preach the restored gospel of Jesus Christ throughout the world.

Edited by Wingnut

Many people on the LDS blogs have seen the actual article in TV guide. One said the show plans on showing the endowment room, the sealing room, and portraying the ceremonies.

Elphaba

What about the Lava Lamps, the Goat-leggings and the Nude Clogging?

Is nothing Sacred to these TV people?

:o

I seem to remember being asked something like...

Do you affiliate with any group or individual whose teachings or practices are contrary to or oppose those accepted by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, .....

I guess if I subscribed to AOL or HBO - I would have to answer "yes" to that one.

changed: I respect your choice to boycott these institutions. But I have to disagree with you on the part quoted. If I based the answer to that question on my cable bill, then I would never be able to answer that as "no"--because nearly every show, comedian, commentator, etc. has made fun of my faith in some form or another.

As I've discussed that particular question with my bishop and stake president, my understanding of the intent of that question varies from your intepretation as represented in this thread.

Edited by beefche
fixed the quote thingy

Public Affairs Representatives:

Many of you will see or hear about the impending broadcast of LDS Temple ceremonies and exploitation of our sacred temple clothes by HBO "Big Love" this week. TV Guide will deliver an ad showing one of the "Big Love" polygamist wives dressed in full temple clothes. It is already circulating on the internet. As has been their practice, the creators of "Big Love" hijack our customs and sacred symbols and misrepresent them in settings of their own making. Please be aware that the executives of HBO made a commitment to the LDS Church at the outset of "Big Love" that they would never desecrate our sacred rites or clothing in promotion or in their drama.

Our Church leaders are fully informed and are considering whether to dignify the show with a response.

Brothers and Sisters, "Big Love" is not a ratings winner and we don't wish to build their ratings for them. TV Guide does not experience the readership it once had. Some of your friends and neighbors will see the images in print and see our temple ceremonies acted out in the drama. Perhaps the greatest position of strength for us, is to stand by our beliefs and teach the gospel. No, HBO does not represent accurately the sacred dress or beliefs or ceremonies of the LDS Church. Yes, like the Catholics, the Jews, the Muslims, the Buddhists and many other faiths, we do have some sacred ceremonial clothing for our Temples.

Our Temples are places where we unite our families forever. They are places where we go to learn the highest principles of character, honor, and devotion to God. That's what we can share with our neighbors and friends, and that kind of answer will no doubt....satisfy their questions.

Unless otherwise directed, at this sensitive time, I suggest that Public Affairs leaders NOT urge response to the TV Guide ad, or to the HBO program.....and avoid increasing the show's ratings or attention.

Sincerely, Sonja Eddings Brown

Media Specialist

Southern California Public Affairs Council

Sonja Eddings Brown / [email protected] / (818) 993-1409

Public Affairs Representatives:

Many of you will see or hear about the impending broadcast of LDS Temple ceremonies and exploitation of our sacred temple clothes by HBO "Big Love" this week. TV Guide will deliver an ad showing one of the "Big Love" polygamist wives dressed in full temple clothes. It is already circulating on the internet. As has been their practice, the creators of "Big Love" hijack our customs and sacred symbols and misrepresent them in settings of their own making. Please be aware that the executives of HBO made a commitment to the LDS Church at the outset of "Big Love" that they would never desecrate our sacred rites or clothing in promotion or in their drama.

Our Temples are places where we unite our families forever. They are places where we go to learn the highest principles of character, honor, and devotion to God. That's what we can share with our neighbors and friends, and that kind of answer will no doubt....satisfy their questions.

Unless otherwise directed, at this sensitive time, I suggest that Public Affairs leaders NOT urge response to the TV Guide ad, or to the HBO program.....and avoid increasing the show's ratings or attention.

Sincerely, Sonja Eddings Brown

Media Specialist

Southern California Public Affairs Council

Sonja Eddings Brown / [email protected] / (818) 993-1409

Lusciouschaos already shared this. I was confused by it when I read it in my email Inbox this afternoon, as the supposed author doesn't seem to be affiliated with anyone or anything. What's her point?