Question For those across the pond?

hordak

I was watching Americas got talent last night and the judges are, David Hasslehof , Sharon Ozborn and Piers (random Brit who no one knows of other then hosting this show).

It got me thinking of other shows,

Kitchen Nightmares, with Chef Ramses,a Brit who most people don't know, of course i don't run in cooking circles.

American idol with Simon, a Brit, who as i understand it made the Spice Girls, but aside from that isn't well known other then the show.

House, where ironically the star, a Brit, plays an American, but the show has and UK character.

Can't think of more off the the top of my head but in the US it seems common to have a British host, or character in films or tv. for the accent.

Just curios if this is done over there.?

Hmmm... most of our tv shows are hosted by British people, just as I assumed most American TV shows would be hosted by American people. By Chef Ramses I assume you mean Gordon Ramsay who is very well known here, mainly for his deplorable temper (which is not unique to him I must admit, it's quite a common trait among chefs).

With regards to British people playing American characters, I usually find it's the other way around. In one case, though the name of the film escapes me, the film was based on a true story involving British soliders in real life, however in the film they were American soldiers and even had American flags on their uniform. The media here had a field day over that one.

Not entirely sure why they'd choose a British host because of his accent...? Whats good about a British accent? Lol.

Not entirely sure why they'd choose a British host because of his accent...? Whats good about a British accent? Lol.

I'll take a Brit any day of the week over an American trying to do a British accent. I do a pseudo Irish/Scottish (see how they are combined? That tells you how pseudo it is) for giggles occasionally but I wouldn't dare say it could pass for the real thing. In fact while I was in the MTC there was a Scot there as well and my district pressured me into using it in front of him and he quite properly asked, "What was that?" :)

Edited by Dravin

I was watching Americas got talent last night and the judges are, David Hasslehof , Sharon Ozborn and Piers (random Brit who no one knows of other then hosting this show).

Kitchen Nightmares, with Chef Ramses,a Brit who most people don't know, of course i don't run in cooking circles.

American idol with Simon, a Brit, who as i understand it made the Spice Girls, but aside from that isn't well known other then the show.

House, where ironically the star, a Brit, plays an American, but the show has and UK character.

Can't think of more off the the top of my head but in the US it seems common to have a British host, or character in films or tv. for the accent.

In general, Americans think accents (other than our southern accent) are sophisticated. I once consulted with the New Zealand government for a defense project and even though we all spoke English there were times that my friends would get round up and I could not recognize what they said as English. I also was on vacation once in Ireland and there were times I was sure those folks spoke a different language.

The Traveler

I think it depends on what channels you watch...

Gordon Rhamsey (if that is who you mean) is very well known - mostly in the UK I guess..

Simon Cowel has produced more than just the Spice Girls cds... Westlife is another band that I can think of off hand that he has "made".

Hugh Laurie (who plays House) is a very well known British actor.. I have also seen him in more than just House with an American accent.

You're right about Simon Cowell's association with the Spice Girls, however, there's a lot more than that. He's established several record labels and is heavily involved in many talent-type TV shows, both in the states and "across the pond."

Another Brit who plays an American on TV is Simon Baker, from the Mentalist. (Okay I just looked him up. He's actually Australian, which is an even more sexy accent...can you say Hugh Jackman??...but he still plays an American.)

I think the British connection comes more from the syndication of foreign shows. _____'s got talent is playing in several countries. Many reality shows, like Big Brother, Pop Idol (American Idol), Who want's to be a millionaire. Deal or No Deal all came from other countries. So when they come to the US, they sometimes get the British hosts.

Piers Morgan is a famous contraversial ex-editor of a tabloid newspaper over here.

Simon Cowell is a media Mogul who is probably more popular in the US than over here. He certainly knows what he's doing by going to America, knowing Americans would lap up his 'Mr Nasty' attitude. We tend to roll our eyes over here!

Yes it is sone over here in answer to your question. John Barrowman presents just about any light-entertainment programme going and has done at least one documentary that I know of. Its a bit of a running joke here at how many programmes he fronts. He has even made cameo appearances in dramas. I happen to like him so I dont care!

Simon Cowel has a talent for saying what we think and because of that produces shows the like of the new wave of talent shows worldwide. That he has produced the least lasting candidates is perhaps for another discussion. When my daughter was over in Utah her accent was noticed all the time but mine and her mums which are not as posh as hers were not.

Your shows therefore take only the riches of British voice and always to me seem out of place amoung the America dialects. Take a good Yorkshire twang and there you have real English speaking.

On another note Britain produces some superb shows like The Office, Man about The House to name just two and then you take them up, localise them and sell them back to us to watch in dismay.

We take the Likes of Friends, Everybody Loves Raymond, Two & Half men Etc Etc and we watched them as made and would never dream of remaking them in our own lanquage. And its not because your shows are better its why its always puzzeled me.

Now don't get me wrong I think America shows like the ones mentioned are fantastic and are watchable over and over again. In fact I’m not one of those Brits that prefer only homemade productions. I’ll sit for hours watching good foreign imports sub-titles and all if the essence of the show is right.

While I vaguely recall the name Coupling I've never actually watched it. Thought our attempt on a Friend’s type format was ‘Cold Feet’ staring Helen Baxendale who featured in some episodes of Friends and I may add seemed totally out of place in them.

Dialects are the plural of dialect because as in Britain you have many dialects.

would like to point out both Britains Got Talent and American Idol are actually British shows, so is Kitchen Nightmares etc - in the case of Hugh Laurie who I love but still struggle with him in sex symbol role, is playing a Brit in an American show. I think Simon Cowell is seen more like a Panto Act and what he does is seen as an act here but he owns a good portion of Talent and Idol

Right now can't think of two many but we do have Ruby Wax, Lloyd Grossman, Alvin Hall, Dawna Walters and I am sure a few others and of course Scissor Sisters

-Charley

Edited by Elgama

Yes it is sone over here in answer to your question. John Barrowman presents just about any light-entertainment programme going and has done at least one documentary that I know of. Its a bit of a running joke here at how many programmes he fronts. He has even made cameo appearances in dramas. I happen to like him so I dont care!

John Barrowman was born in Glasgow his parents moved to Florida when he was about

Edited by Elgama

I love Scottish accents, but I cannot always understand what they are saying. Wish they came with subtitles.

It's always fun to watch a clip from something like BBC News or what have you and watch them subtitle some of the folks in Scotland and Ireland. :)