To Quad or Not to Quad...

Guest Believer_1829

Guest Believer_1829

Comments in the new Spanish Bible topic got me to thinking...

Personally I do not like having all my books shoved into one binding. It makes it harder to research and x-reference. With separate books you can spread them out and look at verses at the same time. I personally would prefer to have a nice leather bound edition of the Book of Mormon all by itself, as the Bible is all by itself, instead of bound with the D&C and POGP.

What are your thoughts?

The only thing I have against a quad is that it doesn't come in large print and my 53 year old eyeballs sure like the large print editions my wife and I bought last year.

As far as research, we have a number of copies of scripture and I like having a modern-english version of the Bible available and open when I am researching besides the LDS KJV - it can give better insight (but then I hate the KJV language style even though I grew up using it)

I kinda feel the same way about preparing a talk on the internet. Faster, yes, but it's not quite the same as having my parents collection of Ensigns dating back into the 70's on the kitchen table, along with the BOM, Bible, Jesus the Christ, and other selections from the gospel library spread out before me.

The only thing I have against a quad is that it doesn't come in large print and my 53 year old eyeballs sure like the large print editions my wife and I bought last year.

While all logic would tell us that an OLD EYE quad would weigh no more than the separate books in a scripture case, something about it just makes me picture someone dragging around an anvil! ^_^

IMHO, the purpose of a Quad would primarily be to lessen the impact of the falling objects scenario for frazzled parents. For in-house study, hardbound, big print volumes with easy-to-turn pages make the most sense.

I agree. A quad is very convenient, in that it's entirely self-contained. For actual reading and note-taking, however, I would prefer separate volumes. The quads have some photo pages in the middle of them, between books, and the photo pages are thicker and stiffer than the rest of the pages, which makes them stand up more, making it harder to stay on the page you're trying to be on.

There must be at least ONE quad in every LDS home! How else will you illustrate to your kids (or to the congregation if you're giving a talk) the FULFILLMENT OF A PROPHECY?? (stick of Joseph and stick of Judah)

:lol:

Seriously though, I've had a quad since my grandma bought me one for my 10th birthday, and my next set is going to be a Bible and Triple Comb. Like Wingnut said, the map pages in the middle are super annoying. And they're going to be large print, too. Not because my eyes are going, but because they seem to lay flat better than the regular print ones.

I actually have the "bargain" ones you can get from Distribution for my more casual Scripture study (if we're going on a long car-trip, or for reading while I'm nursing my son, or for showing my kids a Scripture verse) I actually like them much better than my quad!

Uh, yes, it does. I own one. (By "large" I mean the next size up from "regular", not the "extra-large" that's at the top of the scale.) Had to break down and move up from the "regular" size print recently due to vision (I'm nearly 40).

Uh, yes, it does. I own one. (By "large" I mean the next size up from "regular", not the "extra-large" that's at the top of the scale.) Had to break down and move up from the "regular" size print recently due to vision (I'm nearly 40).

I have a quad in large print too. Well, both my husband and I share it. They're heavy! They're for daily reading and such.

We also have the giant books - they're like 8" x 11" size or something close to it that we use for family home evenings and is sitting like a decor on the coffee table in the formal room (very nice hardbound cover that goes well with my furniture). It's pretty cool as a conversation piece for visitors especially with the Jehovah's Witnesses that occassionally come visit. They're 4 separate books.

But, we have LDS Library loaded to our iPhones for church. It has all the scriptures, Teachings of the Presidents of the Church Manual, and the hymnbook. Very easy to get to a chapter/verse and FREE!

I was debating on what to get my son who is getting baptized this month. My sis-in-law suggested getting separate books because it's easier to use for seminary. But, I went ahead and got him a regular-size quad in a carry case just so he won't lose it easily.

I have a quad that I take to church so I don't have to carry multiple books with me, but also have the Bible and the Book of Mormon separate as well at the house I use to study. As mmn727 said above, I also have a today's English version of the Bible that I refer to at times.

Me too:)

Except for the "Todays" English Versin of the Bible as I find theyare far more corrupt

then the TR text versions.

I love to have separate books out for study.

I have a large print Quad but it is "Big":eek:

Still Luv it:p

Bro. Rudick

As far as research, we have a number of copies of scripture and I like having a modern-english version of the Bible available and open when I am researching besides the LDS KJV - it can give better insight (but then I hate the KJV language style even though I grew up using it)

I disagree with this. I have a quad in large print. It's awesome.

Guest missingsomething

Comments in the new Spanish Bible topic got me to thinking...

Personally I do not like having all my books shoved into one binding. It makes it harder to research and x-reference. With separate books you can spread them out and look at verses at the same time. I personally would prefer to have a nice leather bound edition of the Book of Mormon all by itself, as the Bible is all by itself, instead of bound with the D&C and POGP.

What are your thoughts?

I have two sets of scriptures... my first set... triple combo/bible and my small quad. I have the small quad because its very portable and can go anywhere. I have gotten very adapt at cross referencing, etc.

However for serious studying I still use my old ones but more so because there are already so many notes in the margins :)

Its a preference thing...

I have a quad in large print too. Well, both my husband and I share it. They're heavy! They're for daily reading and such.

We also have the giant books - they're like 8" x 11" size or something close to it that we use for family home evenings and is sitting like a decor on the coffee table in the formal room (very nice hardbound cover that goes well with my furniture). It's pretty cool as a conversation piece for visitors especially with the Jehovah's Witnesses that occassionally come visit. They're 4 separate books.

But, we have LDS Library loaded to our iPhones for church. It has all the scriptures, Teachings of the Presidents of the Church Manual, and the hymnbook. Very easy to get to a chapter/verse and FREE!

Both DH and I have the Scriptures on our Palms (I also have all the Teachings of the Presidents manuals, the hymns and Children's Songbook (I've spent quite a bit of time in Primary), the Gospel Doctrine manuals, the Institute and Seminary manuals, and a ton of other LDS e-books on mine, along with on my laptop).

I agree that the large-print quad is heavy (gives my wrists a bit of trouble. Seems I just can't win ;)).

I'm thinking about getting the iPod Touch at some point, probably when the Palm TX dies and I need a replacement handheld. Do you know if there's an app for the iPhone/Touch that'll handle Mobipocket-format e-books? Also, how's the PDF reader?

I'm thinking about getting the iPod Touch at some point, probably when the Palm TX dies and I need a replacement handheld. Do you know if there's an app for the iPhone/Touch that'll handle Mobipocket-format e-books? Also, how's the PDF reader?

PDF files are just fine, however I think you'll be kicking yourself for getting an ipod touch and not an iphone. I was tempted to spend less and get an ipod touch as well, but I've not once regretted the decision to buy the iphone instead. Everyone I know who has one loves it.

Posted (edited) · Hidden
Hidden

PDF files are just fine, however I think you'll be kicking yourself for getting an ipod touch and not an iphone. I was tempted to spend less and get an ipod touch as well, but I've not once regretted the decision to buy the iphone instead. Everyone I know who has one loves it.

I prefer the

. Edited by Vort