Large Bodies of Water

Jamie123

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the Religion 324-325, Doctrine and Covenants student manual for the Church's Institute program, page 131.

D&C 61:5–19. How Is the Water “Cursed”?

President Joseph Fielding Smith pointed out how “in

the beginning the Lord blessed the waters and cursed

the land, but in these last days this was reversed, the

land was to be blessed and the waters to be cursed.

A little reflection will bear witness to the truth of this

declaration. In the early millenniums of this earth’s

history, men did not understand the composition of

the soils, and how they needed building up when

crops were taken from them. The facilities at the

command of the people were primitive and limited,

acreage under cultivation was limited, famines were

prevalent and the luxuries which we have today were

not obtainable. Someone may rise up and say that the

soil in those days was just as productive as now, and

this may be the case. It is not a matter of dispute, but

the manner of cultivation did not lend itself to the

abundant production which we are receiving today. It

matters not what the causes were, in those early days

of world history there could not be the production,

nor the varieties of fruits coming from the earth, and

the Lord can very properly speak of this as a curse,

or the lack of blessing, upon the land. In those early

periods we have every reason to believe that the

torrents, floods, and the dangers upon the waters

were not as great as they are today, and by no means

as great as what the Lord has promised us. The early

mariners among the ancients traversed the seas as

they knew them in that day in comparative safety. . . .

Today this manner of travel in such boats would be

of the most dangerous and risky nature. Moreover,

we have seen the dangers upon the waters increase

until the hearts of men failed them and only the

brave, and those who were compelled to travel the

seas, ventured out upon them. In regard to the

Missouri-Mississippi waters, we have seen year by

year great destruction upon them, and coming from

them. Millions upon millions of dollars, almost

annually are lost by this great stream overflowing

its banks. Many have lost their lives in these floods

as they sweep over the land, and even upon this

apparently tranquil or sluggish stream there can arise

storms that bring destruction. Verily the word of the

Lord has been, and is being, fulfilled in relation to

those waters. While the Lord has spoken of the sea

heaving itself beyond its bounds, and the waves

roaring, yet we must include the great destruction

upon the waters by means of war, and especially by

submarine warfare as we have learned of it in recent

years.” (Church History and Modern Revelation, 1:224;

see also Genesis 3:17–19; Ether 7:23–25; 9:16, 28;

Revelation 16:1–6; Alma 45:16; D&C 59:3; 16–19.)

I have learned since a child that the waters will become cursed. I can remember my mom talking about it.

Reference Search: D&C 61:5-19

D&C 61:5-19

5 For I, the Lord, have decreed in mine anger many destructions upon the waters; yea, and especially upon these waters.

6 Nevertheless, all flesh is in mine hand, and he that is faithful among you shall not perish by the waters.

7 Wherefore, it is expedient that my servant Sidney Gilbert and my servant William W. Phelps be in haste upon their errand and mission.

8 Nevertheless, I would not suffer that ye should part until you were chastened for all your sins, that you might be one, that you might not perish in wickedness;

9 But now, verily I say, it behooveth me that ye should part. Wherefore let my servants Sidney Gilbert and William W. Phelps take their former company, and let them take their journey in haste that they may fill their mission, and through faith they shall overcome;

10 And inasmuch as they are faithful they shall be preserved, and I, the Lord, will be with them.

11 And let the residue take that which is needful for clothing.

12 Let my servant Sidney Gilbert take that which is not needful with him, as you shall agree.

13 And now, behold, for your good I gave unto you a commandment concerning these things; and I, the Lord, will reason with you as with men in days of old.

14 Behold, I, the Lord, in the beginning blessed the waters; but in the last days, by the mouth of my servant John, I cursed the waters.

15 Wherefore, the days will come that no flesh shall be safe upon the waters.

16 And it shall be said in days to come that none is able to go up to the land of Zion upon the waters, but he that is upright in heart.

17 And, as I, the Lord, in the beginning cursed the land, even so in the last days have I blessed it, in its time, for the use of my saints, that they may partake the fatness thereof.

18 And now I give unto you a commandment that what I say unto one I say unto all, that you shall forewarn your brethren concerning these waters, that they come not in journeying upon them, lest their faith fail and they are caught in snares;

19 I, the Lord, have decreed, and the destroyer rideth upon the face thereof, and I revoke not the decree.

Yes I would say that Gwen. Though I do believe in the waters being cursed in the last days since that is what I've learned from scripture and teachings growing up..but that doesn't mean I am now currently afraid of water or believe the devil lives there.

It does appear that someone twisted scripture around. Next we'll hear LDS don't take showers because the devil lives in the showerhead.

16 And it shall be said in days to come that none is able to go up to the land of Zion upon the waters, but he that is upright in heart.

17 And, as I, the Lord, in the beginning cursed the land, even so in the last days have I blessed it, in its time, for the use of my saints, that they may partake the fatness thereof.

18 And now I give unto you a commandment that what I say unto one I say unto all, that you shall forewarn your brethren concerning these waters, that they come not in journeying upon them, lest their faith fail and they are caught in snares;

19 I, the Lord, have decreed, and the destroyer rideth upon the face thereof, and I revoke not the decree.

Exactly...you must have the ability to control the elements in order to cross them in the last days.

This is part of the Four-Angels who control the destiny of the Earth.

Yes I would say that Gwen. Though I do believe in the waters being cursed in the last days since that is what I've learned from scripture and teachings growing up..but that doesn't mean I am now currently afraid of water or believe the devil lives there.

It does appear that someone twisted scripture around. Next we'll hear LDS don't take showers because the devil lives in the showerhead.

Didn't it say in revelation that the beast will rise out of the water?

lol no pam you are safe to take a shower as long as you are in constant contact with your garments. it's really not that complicated to shower with one hand while the other is stuck out of the shower holding your garments.......

NOTE: I AM KIDDING. showering with one hand is not an lds belief or teaching. i'm joking about someone that has taken our doctrines and twisted it to try to make us look crazy and actually teaches that we shower with one hand. i guess some ppl will believe anything.

I think I have read that but I wouldn't have an immediate source for it.

Revelation 13:1 And I stood upon the sand of the sea, and saw a

beast rise up out of the sea, having seven heads and ten horns,

and upon his horns ten crowns, and upon his heads the name of

blasphemy.

Bro. Rudick

I remember reading somewhere (unless I dreamed it - which is possible) that Mormons are afraid of large bodies of water (lakes, oceans, large rivers) because they believe that is where the Devil lives. Is there any truth in this?

I've heard it maybe 3 or 4 times in the last 30 years. It's an urban legend - passed around like it's true, but it isn't.

The most memorable variation: Missionaries are not allowed on beaches because Satan will take control of their minds and make them drown themselves.

LM

(played with an Ouija board once... :satanflame: )

This water demon business really does have a fairy tale quality to it. Perhaps it needs a formal name such as Jaws***. If it has indeed become ingrained in Mormon thought, I hope it is not too deep. In any case, I will no let it interfere with lap swimming.

*** In the meantime I will hum The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald.

:)