What should I have done?

tfrey1225

So I was working with a woman last night at my job (corrections officer) and we were discussing a lot of different things. I mean I do work a 12 hour shift so naturally we came across the discussion of religion. I recently got baptized into the Church, however was hesitant to bring that up because I suspected she may be heavily anti-Mormon and we still had about 6 hours left on shift. Well my suspicions were confirmed when she told me that the Freemasons and the LDS church were essentially the same thing and in co hoots for a world takeover basically. Then she proceeded to "school" me on the history of the LDS church. You see according to her Joseph Smith and Bringham Young had a bloody battle in Utah over leadership of the church. She said that "Mormons" would raid border towns and just massacre people disguised as Indians, and this was part of the bigger battle between Smith and Young. She said they were "cold blooded assassins."

She then proceeded to speak in a very paranoid tone about a movie came out a few years back staring Jon Voight that was apparently chronicling these alleged "battles on the border." And after she heard the tickets were available she went to buy them and *duh duh duh!* the movie had been pulled! She said that at first movie theater staff played dumb and then the manager pulled her aside and told her in hushed tones that "you wouldn't want to see that movie, none of it was true." Well this was "proof" in her eyes that the LDS church had far too much sinister sway in the area.

Now, naturally I didn't believe hardly anything she was saying but my question is this: should I have spoke up and said something? Should I have stopped her and corrected her? Did I miss a chance to witness and bare testimony? It wasn't that I was ashamed of the Church or anything, I just wanted things to remain civil and have a comfortable working atmosphere. What do you think?

Wow, she sounds like of the people living in the times of the early Saints--they believed anything in the newspapers (and reporters didn't have the standard of truth they do today :wink, wink:). I'm guessing she one of the people that believe if it's on the internet or in a movie, then it MUST be true.

I think I would have started laughing. But that's me. Honestly, sometimes there is no response. The Spirit will guide you in a situation like this. If you felt prompted to say something, then say it. If you didn't, then don't worry about it. Some people won't listen to anyone no matter what. I've had so many people tell me what I believe and what goes on in a temple or church service that it's funny.

I think if you are going to be spending significant amounts of time around her you might want to inform inform her that maybe religion isn't a good subject for you. Something as simple as, "Just to let you know I'm Mormon, can we talk about something else?"

Or you can just mess with her.

"Just wanted to give you fair warning. I called Salt Lake and let them know you've got everything figured out, they'll be contacting you."

Even better if the next day the missionaries were to tract into her. :D

Okay, not a good thing to do, but an amusing thought nonetheless.

I had this happen to me shortly after I was married to my husband Now, (I been married before)

A new co - worker got a bee in her bonnet over her friends wedding (this was at our lunch break)

Her friends mother was not allowed to attend because she was getting married in the Mormon temple. she like your co -worker went on like your co-worker did,

The Tension in the room could be cut with a knife because all the other people in the lunch room all know who I was and know she was a "NUT"

So I finely said "Excuse Me" I asked the whole room who here was invited to my wedding?" hands went up across the room

I then explained to her the diffidence between a Temple wedding and a civil wedding. (I had a civil wedding)

I explained to her that it was her friend "not the church" that wanted to be married in the Temple, She did not have to but chose TOO"

I also told her until she know what she was talking about she should keep her opinions to her self. Because I was insulted.

She shut up and we got a long fine, I refuse to stand still for Nut Jobs like that. let me ask were other there? Were others listening?

Always speck up when others are there.

I understand your new to the church but in time you will fell stronger and say something.

You can always say "this is not a appropriate work conversation" and leave it at that.

PS She failed her security clearance and was let go, (Army)

Edited by Winnie G

I used to be uncomfortable talking religion in public. Now, not so much anymore. Basically, when the opportunity arises I say, "I'm LDS"... in the same way I say, "I like chocolate". I have an anti-mormon friend at work. She went on and on about mormons one lunch time and so I casually said, "well, actually, that's not quite right. I know, I'm one of them!".

My classmate in college and I started talking about Tiger Woods and all that a few weeks ago and the conversation went into the difference between sin and transgression. In the natural course of the conversation, I explained to him my view on Adam and Eve and the apple, and he said, "that's an interesting view on Genesis, unfortunately it's not in the bible". So I said, "yep, that's right. It's in the Pearl of Great Price and the book of Nephi". Amazingly, he recognized those books! He said, he knows about mormons and what they believe and but he doesn't like that they don't have black membership until the 70's - which gave me the perfect opportunity to correct his viewpoint on that one. I don't say it in a pushy way or a confrontational way. Just regular conversation.

My workmates all know I'm mormon, so we go to Starbucks and they make fun of me because I always order hot chocolate. One time, a new co-worker came with us and after I made my order he commented, "You must be a mormon" - jokingly - and I answered, "you got that right!"... he thought I was joking and I let him keep thinking it. But after a while he realized I am mormon and thought that was cool. Anyway, I took him and his girlfriend and another co-worker to the Orlando Temple grounds. That was fun.

I love being LDS and I love the plenty of opportunities to share it - including being the target of jokes and anti-mormon sentiments. It doesn't bother me. But, I make a point of not pushing it and not talking about it at inopportune moments - like scripture fights and those stuff that happens a lot when a bunch of religious folks talk about religion - I keep quiet on those.

Guest mormonmusic

Now, naturally I didn't believe hardly anything she was saying but my question is this: should I have spoke up and said something? Should I have stopped her and corrected her? Did I miss a chance to witness and bare testimony? It wasn't that I was ashamed of the Church or anything, I just wanted things to remain civil and have a comfortable working atmosphere. What do you think?

I'd hesitate to refute anything without facts up my sleeve.

Personally, she sounds really hardened, and over the years, I've found it's rarely a fruitful exercise to go "head to head" with someone who is so hardened. Also, many refuse to believe anything we say, believing we've been brainwashed. So, you have to make a judgment whether she'll listen to the facts, if so, it might be nice to share the truth. If you have to work with her day in and day out, for long periods of time, and you think it'll get ugly, I'd be inclined to brush it off and leave it alone.

As a similar situation, I had one co-worker who said "Your Church is on trial in the court of public opinion over the Warren Jeffs FLDS scandal". I stood up on that one and said it was a separate organization, and anyone who practiced plural marriage would have their membership in the Church withdrawn.

He said "I know that, but the rest of the world doesn't know that". Then he went into the neighbouring lunchroom and asked whoever was sitting there, loud, so I could hear:

"What is the name of that Church which is at the center of the Warren Jeffs scandal"

They all said in unison "Mormon".

Then one person piped up and said "Well, actually, they aren't Mormons but a sect within the Mormon religion".

Then, my co-worker said "Mormonmusic is a Mormon, and he thinks people won't connect his Church to this because he's of a separate organization than Jeffs".

What would you have done in this situation?

I think the best thing to do is become the best possible person possible and teach her by example. she will find out soon enough that you are LDS, but what a wonderful chance to let the Gospel light shine through you.

If you are not comfortable, I agree, you can tell her you don't want to discuss religion on the job and that there are things that you will need to agree that you disagree about.

A little honest, thoughtful prayer never hurts at a time like this.

FC

So I was working with a woman last night at my job (corrections officer) and we were discussing a lot of different things. I mean I do work a 12 hour shift so naturally we came across the discussion of religion. I recently got baptized into the Church, however was hesitant to bring that up because I suspected she may be heavily anti-Mormon and we still had about 6 hours left on shift. Well my suspicions were confirmed when she told me that the Freemasons and the LDS church were essentially the same thing and in co hoots for a world takeover basically. Then she proceeded to "school" me on the history of the LDS church. You see according to her Joseph Smith and Bringham Young had a bloody battle in Utah over leadership of the church. She said that "Mormons" would raid border towns and just massacre people disguised as Indians, and this was part of the bigger battle between Smith and Young. She said they were "cold blooded assassins."

She then proceeded to speak in a very paranoid tone about a movie came out a few years back staring Jon Voight that was apparently chronicling these alleged "battles on the border." And after she heard the tickets were available she went to buy them and *duh duh duh!* the movie had been pulled! She said that at first movie theater staff played dumb and then the manager pulled her aside and told her in hushed tones that "you wouldn't want to see that movie, none of it was true." Well this was "proof" in her eyes that the LDS church had far too much sinister sway in the area.

yer not gonna change anybodies opinion with one encounter; be an excample of the things you know to be true, that is what you need to do, {always}:)

Well, here's the thing. When she comes up with this great stock tip that is gonna make you rich overnight, don't be in a big hurry to drain the bank account, cash in your mutual funds, and empty your retirement accounts to get in on this blockbuster deal. It just might not work out.

Seriously, I don't worry too much about what people like that say. I'm a skydiving instructor with over 1400 skydives and you'd be amazed at the flat out lies people will try to run past me when the subject comes up. Knowing that I am an expert, they'll come up with all kinds of stories about their skydiving experiences that anybody with any real experience could see right through. I'll usually point out that I really know what I'm talking about and they aren't fooling me. That's usually enough without embarassing them.

If it bothers you, just change the subject, but don't worry about what she says. Just don't follow her over a cliff......even if she says it'll be alright.

Nancy hit on my first thought. Joseph Smith was killed 13 years before the saints ever set foot in Utah.

On one hand, I know that the Lord knows who is ready to receive the Gospel and we don't, but on the other hand (the bigger hand), I firmly believe that people with that attitude and mindset won't be taught or reasoned with, so there's no point. I wouldn't even point out the Joseph Smith/Utah discrepancy, because once you start refuting anything, she'll drag you down a path of constant debate, which as a new member, you're probably not ready to deal with. Even as a seasoned and/or lifelong member, I'd advise against it because as soon as you start debating like that, the Spirit goes out the door.

Anyway, she sounds like a conspiracy theorist who's been reading too much Dan Brown.

Tfrey -

The movie she's talking about was a stinker called September Dawn. Its historical bloopers are legendary. Generally speaking she's probably thinking of (a warped and twisted version of) the Mountain Meadows Massacre. Give her a copy of Turley's Massacre at Mountain Meadows (and, while you're chucking books at her, wouldn't hurt to throw in a Book of Mormon ;) ).

Nancy hit on my first thought. Joseph Smith was killed 13 years before the saints ever set foot in Utah.

13??? I thought it was just 3. Well, it seemed like 3 to me. :eek: Nevertheless, JS never stepped foot in Utah, let alone fought BY over it.

I'm afraid I would have started snickering if someone tried telling me those kinds of lies, since they obviously have no idea what they're talking about.

You should have asked her if she had read the Book of Mormon. When she said "yes", you should have asked her if her favorite part was where the bear chases Joseph Smith up a tree.

Hahahah! Classic. Your reaction was much better than mine would have been. I would have pointed out a few things:

1) When Brigham Young moved to Utah, Joseph Smith was dead. Unless she's talking about the horde of Zombie Mormons, there was no war between Brigham Young and Joseph Smith.

2) Mormons wanted September Dawn to be a success. I did, anyway. When The daVinci Code came out, interest in Catholicism increased considerably and for a while, membership increased. Getting a chance to share our message because of a sleek Hollywood production would be great, even if the movie weren't particularly nice to the church. The reason the movie was pulled is because the movie had poor cinematography and acting.

3) I don't know much about the Masons except the Shriners, who drive around in funny cars with funny hats and donate money to things like children's hospitals and such. I love the Shriners.

I wouldn't worry about how well you reacted. It's difficult, when dealing with craziness, to deal with it effectively. Things like this make me wish I was there at the time, but mostly because I think things like this are funny.

You did fine.

Oh, I gotta share this one!

So, yeah, my best friend is a marine and drinks like a fish and smokes cigars. He doesn't care much for Mormons except that I married a Mormon (and later on became Mormon) and he has to accept that coz, you know, we're best friends. Anyway, early on in my marriage, before I got baptized, he always tries to offer my husband a beer or whiskey or whatever and tries to get him to smoke a cigar. My husband always says No (he's a character, that one, I love him very much) but still hangs out with him - my friend drunk, my husband sober. After a while, my friend just stopped offering because he knows my husband will just say no. Anyway, fast forward 10 years and we're still best friends. We go to their house and he comes up with this new Asian beer or something. My husband got curious about it, so he took a sip straight from the bottle. My friend was shocked. He immediately said, "Man! You're disappointing me! Put that thing down! You're destroying my Mormon image!".

The only way to interact with such folks, is if you have a command of the facts. Everything she said has a tiny shade of truth to it, or at least has some sort of event it's based on.

For example, yes indeed, once a group of Mormons did indeed go massacre a group of innocent men, women, and children. (See Engisn article on Mountain Meadows Massacre.) Yes, there was a spectacularly bad John Voigt movie about it - basically the same story line as Flash Gordon vs. the Evil Emperor Ming than a genuine documentary.

If you want to gain a command of the facts, go to FAIRLDS.org, or BYU's FARMS.

LM

What do you mean it had poor acting? It had Dean Cain playing the part of Joseph Smith. Superman! Poor acting?

Rotten Tomatoes view of the film: With its jarring editing, dull love story, and silly dialogue, September Dawn turns a horrific historical event into a banal movie.

September Dawn Movie Reviews, Pictures - Rotten Tomatoes

Don't get me wrong: I loved Lois and Clark, but this movie was just poorly done.