Am I Crazy?? (please read the post before answering

Jbs2763

So Am I Crazy?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. So Am I Crazy?

• Yes, you are certifiably insane...no way you should do this!
    • Yeah, you are nuts...but it sounds like a good deal
    • You aren't crazy...but still a bad idea....
    • Good plan!
    • You aren't crazy....only the voices in your head are crazy...

Yes. Yes you are crazy. You have a choice, and choosing to go into that insanity is, well, insane.

Having said that, I believe that if you moved to Iraq, even though you're doing it for the money, you could be performing an invaluable service to our country--that matters. If your job meant working directly with our troops--that would matter even more. Much much much more.

Sorry, I'm not any help. But there you have it.

Elphaba

I have decided since I am unable to find a good gig here...I'm gonna apply for a truck driving job in Iraq, it pays very well, its an open ended contract...if i can get it...pay ranges from 75-100k per year...the first 80 being tax free....

question is...am i crazy

I dont think your crazy, I think it would be a great opprotunity for you

You're not crazy. I do think you need to be aware of the danger involved and what could happen to you if you're ever captured by the wrong people - decapitation and/or torture before that.

Things have gotten much better over there, but it could b l o w up again at any moment. You'll definitely have some interesting stories to tell for the rest of your life and hopefully touch some people in a beneficial way over there.

If you go, I'd love for you to let me know so I could pray for you and maybe keep in contact.

Ps. Where your seatbelt, it would sure be a bumpy ride.

I have decided since I am unable to find a good gig here...I'm gonna apply for a truck driving job in Iraq, it pays very well, its an open ended contract...if i can get it...pay ranges from 75-100k per year...the first 80 being tax free....

question is...am i crazy

Truck drivin job probably isnt anymore dangerous in iraq than it is hear.:)

Iraq is a difficult place to be, some locales more so than others, but it is not necessarily a bad idea. I assume you are not looking to do this long term, and if it is short term and you save accordingly, you can do quite well. I would recommend learning about the region since the Middle East is something different for many, learning about Iraq specifically, and making an informed decision.

As for being crazy, no, you are certainly not crazy.

this is from their website,"

LOGCAP WORK ENVIRONMENT TERMS and CONDITIONS:

1. Dangerous Conditions:

It should be understood that employment may be located in potentially dangerous areas, including combat or war zones. This might involve the possibility of suffering harm to your person or property by dangerous forces or friendly fire. These dangers are inherent to working conditions in dangerous environments.

2. Duration of Employment Agreement:

If you are extended a contingent offer of employment and you successfully complete processing in Houston, Texas, you will enter into an open ended employment agreement. KBR may offer to extend or end the employment agreement at any time. There is no guarantee of minimum duration for the employment agreement.

3. Work Assignment Locations:

Under the LOGCAP project, KBR deploys employees to Central Asia and the Middle East.

4. Living and Working Conditions:

The living and working conditions in Central Asia and the Middle East are harsh. The following is a list of conditions common to these locations:

• You will be living and working on a United States or Coalition forces military base camp.

• The bases may be dangerous and are subject to random gun fire, rocket propelled grenades and mortar rounds.

• For your protection, you will be restricted to the base camp at all times.

• Certain positions, such as truck drivers, may require you to leave the base to successfully complete your job duties.

• The weather conditions are extreme and are dependent on your assignment location. During the summer months it can reach 150 degrees Fahrenheit/66 degrees Celsius and as low as 0 degrees Fahrenheit/ -18 degrees Celsius with snow in the winter.

• Sand and dust storms are common.

• You can expect to encounter mice, rats, snakes, scorpions, ticks, flies, sand fleas, and other animals and insects in the camp and living quarters.

• Living conditions vary per site.

• You may be living in an 8-10 person tent and be issued a sleeping bag and cot.

• Showers may be cold. There may be occasions where showers are not readily available due to power outages or other factors.

• You will be provided with 3 meals per day. They may consist of hot meals or Meals Ready to Eat (MRE's) under certain circumstances.

• You should anticipate a working schedule of up to 7 days per week and between 8 to 12 hours per day.

• All positions are very hands-on regardless of your position/title, and every employee must be able and prepared to perform physical labor.

• If you are a casualty of a Nuclear, Biological or Chemical attack, your body will be cremated and sent home.

/QUOTE]

Well...you are in a tough situation and I respect that. I was tempted by this same job a few years ago and ultimately decided that the 5 months or so away from my child was not worth the 60-70K I would have made. I love my daughter dearly, but I was soooooo undecided lol. If you don't have any kids I say go for it, it's the experience of a lifetime :D

It might be worth it to look at the health insurance plan. Injuries or illnesses sustained in or traced to a war zone or even as a result of an act of war may not be covered by health insurance in your later years. Civilian Contractors may get different care and coverage than members of the military as well.

It might be worth it to look at the health insurance plan. Injuries or illnesses sustained in or traced to a war zone or even as a result of an act of war may not be covered by health insurance in your later years. Civilian Contractors may get different care and coverage than members of the military as well.

not a problem..we will have government run healthcare...i need to make 80k a year just so i can afford to eat bread and spam after the tax hikes