Are you worthy? A Campaign against LDS Women

Are you worthy?

It is a question that is on a billboard. These billboards are in Idaho, and were paid for by a new Ministry called "Truth in Love Ministry". Their sole focus is to attract "oppressed women of the LDS Faith who feel they are failing to meet the high standards of perfection".

A former latter-day saint has a wordpress blog called Latter-day Saint Woman. She challenges the claims of Mormon doctrine, church instruction, and attempts to explain and expose how women are mistreated within the LDS Faith.

Mark Cares, founder of Truth in Love Ministries, also maintains two blogs - one for the "campaign" and the other regarding how Mormonism is false.

What then is the problem here? The insinuation that Latter-day Saint women are being oppressed. Having a sense of incompleteness, suffering depression, not able to keep up with the demands of life and expectations.

In fact, there are two websites focused on this one single purpose: His Healing Now and Truth in Love Ministries. The first website has stories of "oppressed women of the LDS Faith" that have come out and embraced Christianity by befriending compassionate Christian women. While there is nothing wrong with interfaith dialogue and exchanges, the motivation behind this campaign is very deceptive.

It placates to those LDS women who are in an vulnerable emotional state. Something that seems to be a new tactic by these types of ministries. They also (according to Mark Cares) are concluding that Mormon Men are becoming "Angry" at their exposing the religious bondage and oppression of their wives, mother's and daughters.

I bring this up here because I have noticed that there is many postings by women who are struggling with emotional concerns, infidelity, questioning of their faith, etc.

This is for dialogue purposes here, but what are your thoughts? If you are an lds woman and would like to post an article to answer the question Are You Worthy? from a Latter-day Saint woman's perspective, I am opening up a submission call for this.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh my heck...I feel so much the contrary. I feel that we are given so many opportunities in the Church. We are encouraged to learn, to teach, to do so many things. We hold leadership positions....I guess I just don't understand the perception of being oppressed.

Oh my heck...I feel so much the contrary. I feel that we are given so many opportunities in the Church. We are encouraged to learn, to teach, to do so many things. We hold leadership positions....I guess I just don't understand the perception of being oppressed.

I would link to the websites, but felt that would be inappropriate here. However, here is some quotes from their perspective and basis reason for the billboards:

Witnessing to Mormons is urgent because they are innocent victims. Mormons live within a structure of centralized control which affects most aspects of their lives. It is a relative few wolves in sheep’s clothing that dictates the various beliefs, ordinances, and attitudes of the Mormon flock. This structure enables a relatively few men to project a wide variety of teachings that work together to prevent Mormons from hearing the voice of their true Shepherd.

And another "loving stab".

Mormonism vehemently refutes nearly all of these biblical principles. Mormonism claims that man’s works can make him worthy, even while he is still sinful. It claims man can be worthy by being something less than perfect. It claims that Christ did not pay for the world’s sin “once for all” but that he only bought mankind time so that each man could pay for his own sins. Most importantly, it denies that any man can be credited with Christ’s perfection through faith. It requires that man provides his own works to earn eternal life and that he abandons each sin one-by-one to become progessively ‘cleaner’. Yet in the end such a man does not stand perfect before Heavenly Father; he is not clean but covered in sin. Mormonism claims that “all you can do” is good enough. This foundational premise of today’s Mormonism, that imperfect obedience brings eternal life, is rejected outright in God’s Word.

and then from the website advertised on the billboard campaign:

Symptom - I am so weary

I’m surviving but it seems like I’m on a never-ending treadmill to nowhere. Every time I seem to progress I trip myself up. I try so hard; so where is the joy?

Diagnosis - Slave to obedience

A central principle of the LDS Church is that all blessings are predicated upon obedience to God’s commandments. “Heavenly Father won’t bless you unless you first prove you are worthy”. This principle spurs people on to work hard to earn God’s blessings.

You think you are bound by obedience to gain God’s blessings. You have become a slave. Your master is the set of laws and ordinances you must obey. You feel that you are on a never-ending treadmill to nowhere because:

You believe you cannot gain God’s blessings until you prove you are worthy through your obedience.

Yet every time you fail to keep a condition of the laws and ordinances you prove you are unworthy.

There is no joy on this treadmill, only fatigue, failure and disappointment!

And they claim that they are not "attacking Mormon's".

Yes I am worthy - thanks to a Bishop who wouldn't give me a Temple Recommend until I could say that 1 years ago. I know I am not perfect but I am worthy to enter the Temple with my head held - that makes me worthy to enter God's presence with my head held high. I am a daughter of my Heavenly Father and that makes me special and amazing.

Poor woman is deluded but ya know lol Maybe as a Latter Day Saint woman she was oppressed, I have recently met my first LDS priesthood holder who does actively go about trying to oppress women - came as a shock after 17 years, he is the first one I have not felt truly respected women and Motherhood. One out of hundreds ain't bad.

I seriously cant even get myself to read the quotes you've posted. It all just a load of crap. Anything anti-Mormon is exactly the same as the rest. They tell several truths, put them completely in the wrong context, stretch the truth and then throw a few blatant lies in there where nobody will notice. They all have only one agenda and it has nothing to do with actually helping people or making a difference (maybe on an individual basis, but not as a whole). Its sole purpose is to destroy the true church of God.

If you ask me, all of the above points sound an awful lot like how Satan works...

I don't know of any other church or organization that supports the sanctity and respect of women more than the LDS church.

Edited by Pianoman216

I wonder how his ministry is "supported" financially?

That's usually a quick way to discover the real motives behind such a campaign.

I happen to think that if a person isn't worried about what they do, or concerned about the consequences of their actions, they are less likely to become all they can be. It's not good to over-stress about things, but a little good ol' fashioned remorse is good for the soul.

"Broken heart and contrite spirit."

I once looked forward to “getting into it” with these groups and one day I realized that no matter what I said, how I exposed the twist and deception in their writing and/or arguments I wasn’t getting anywhere. Then I recalled something I heard some time ago, and I may not have this word for word correct, but, “Don’t wrestle with pigs. You’ll just get dirty and the pigs don’t care” or something like that.

Sad that they have nothing better to do than attack the restored gospel. Makes it even more true

“Don’t wrestle with pigs. You’ll just get dirty and the pigs don’t care” or something like that.

Meh. I don't mind getting dirty, and I like wrestling too. No, interacting with such people will never make a dent in them. But one thing I've learned, is that it might make a world of difference to the undecided spectator. I know, I used to be one.

Though argument does not create conviction, the lack of it destroys belief. What seems to be proved may not be embraced; but what no one shows the ability to defend is quickly abandoned. Rational argument does not create belief, but it maintains a climate in which belief may flourish.

- Austin Farrer, "The Christian Apologist," in Light on C. S. Lewis , ed. Jocelyn Gibb (New York: Harcourt and Brace, 1965), 26.

D&C 71 Wherefore, confound your enemies; call upon them to meet you both in public and in private; and inasmuch as ye are faithful their shame shall be made manifest. Wherefore, let them bring forth their strong reasons against the Lord. Verily, thus saith the Lord unto you—there is no weapon that is formed against you shall prosper; And if any man lift his voice against you he shall be confounded in mine own due time.

1 Peter 3:15: But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:

1 Thessalonians 5:21: Prove all things; hold fast to which is good.

Jude 1:3: Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints.

Our critics seek to impede the growth of the kingdom through a variety of strategies and tactics, many of which fall in the category of "dirty tricks" (lies, deceptions, false 'spin'.). Isn't it sticking your head in the sand to ignore this fact, or feel apathy towards it? - Daniel C. Peterson

Those to whom no problems occur are asleep at the wheel of truth.

- John A. Widtsoe

LM

I had a lady at work one time express astonishment that I was a Mormon--afterall I'm such a feminist so there was no way I could be associated with an organization that oppressed women. I was quite shocked to hear that. I am not one of those crazy Nazi-fems who actually scare the gray hair out of me. But, I do believe women are a powerful group and I feel especially empowered in this Church. I am able to access God's power just as everyone else can. I have the same requirements to enter the temple as the men (except for that whole priesthood thing). I am held to the same standards.

I have never, ever felt that the priesthood was something I needed in order to be "equal." I do not wish I had the priesthood. I am quite happy to have access to worthy men who can bless the sacrament, give blessings, lead a ward, etc. And as a worthy woman, I will stand by their side and assist them in any manner needed. And I'm a single woman without children in a church that preaches the ideal family. I consider myself a spokesperson for the family ideal and fully support the church in its missions to protect the family.

A single, childless woman who feels empowered in the LDS church? Astonishing!

I know that there are indeed women in the church who never feel worthy and they can't live up to the ideal of perfection....probably some men also.

May I suggest (2) things? First, please read,"The Continuous Atonement" by Brad Wilcox. Excellent book and really helps members who struggle with this basic lack of understanding of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

Secondly. Relax. Perfection is a process....an Eternal one. We become perfected by Christ's Atonement over time. Keep your covenants and repent along the way.

20 Wherefore, ye must press forward with a steadfastness in Christ, having a perfect brightness of hope, and a love of God and of all men. Wherefore, if ye shall press forward, feasting upon the word of Christ, and endure to the end, behold, thus saith the Father: Ye shall have eternal life.

I have always stood by the belief that a woman can do anything once she puts her mind to it. This belief was something I learned from my mother who is a very strong woman in the church. I think there can be women who become confused or mislead by men who are abusing their priesthood, however, for the most part I think the women of our church are very strong. We are truly a force to be reckoned with.

I am right with you Beefche, I have always considered myself a feminist, not the scary over the top kind, but the kind that believes in the rights I have as a woman and is willing to stand up for them. And this is something I have grown stronger in from being in the church.

I just don't understand this thread at all.

EVERY man knows that a woman's place is firmly in the kitchen.

High heels.

Red lipstick.

Pearls.

Holding a plate full of freshly baked cookies or a potroast.

Come on people.

Posted Image

*backs away quickly to hide behind a very bullet-proof wall*

I am only joking, of course. I cannot imagine how our Heavenly Father loves anyone more than he loves his daughters. My wife is a far greater example than I am of love, compassion, perseverance, and spirituality. I love and respect her. I think that women have a very special place in the church, and it is sad that people sometimes fail to see that.

Funny how Truth in Love Ministries performs so poorly in both areas.

"Truth in Love" is synonymous to "Moses, son of man"

The deceiver is the perfect predator. What makes a good predator you may ask. Well, look to the animal kingdom for this answer. Its not the big scary cats or the pack of howling wolves. No, they are well recognized by their prey and avoided with care. But take some orb-spiders for instance or the Gulper Eel and Angler Fish. These guys are the real examples in nature of how the deceiver works. They do not chase, and do not scare. They lure their victims to their destruction by being subtle and delicate, even beautiful.

What do we as children of a God of love and truth seek most? LOVE and TRUTH

What do animals in the wild seek? FOOD Well, the predators I listed above use that to catch their prey. They lure them in with the false pretense of an easy meal. Dont believe me? Just look these guys up and learn for yourself how they do it. They promise their victims an easy meal only to devour the fooled animal that falls for the trap. Satan uses the same tactic because its the best tactic. He wont hunt us with his horns and pitched fork or burn us with fire. Instead he puts the ideas of Love and Truth into our heads and then points our compass half a degree off to the left or the right. Over time that small waiver becomes a vast distance and we're led to destruction without having ever known we were off course.

Be careful guys. There are a lot of wolves out here. :itwasntme:

I have never, ever felt that the priesthood was something I needed in order to be "equal." I do not wish I had the priesthood. I am quite happy to have access to worthy men who can bless the sacrament, give blessings, lead a ward, etc. And as a worthy woman, I will stand by their side and assist them in any manner needed. And I'm a single woman without children in a church that preaches the ideal family. I consider myself a spokesperson for the family ideal and fully support the church in its missions to protect the family.

A single, childless woman who feels empowered in the LDS church? Astonishing!

I have never thought of the Priesthood as something that raises men up over women but as something that raises them up .

Looking at the Proclamation on Family men are to be the bread winners and mothers the teachers and nurtures.(except in certain circumstance).

Generally speaking that nurture/teacher quality is ingrained in women. It's biological and a women can't be a good mother(teacher/ nurture) and be a bad person IMO.

Men on the other hand are taught to provide, and protect really without a set of rules. You can be a great provider / protector and still be a horrible person. ("Look honey, we have the money to send Jr to that private school" All i had to to was manipulate some stocks and ruin peoples retirement plans."

The Priesthood keeps men in check, in a sense. It says be a good provider, be a good protector, but be Christ like as you do.

As a woman who has grown up in the church and who likes being capable and independent...and obedient too, I feel I want to defend the church on the one hand and fix the church on the other.

There are parts to LDS doctrine and practice that make me feel that as a woman I can reach the heights and depths right along with any other obedient child of God........yet the church is governed and managed by a world of men. How often I would have liked to counsel with a woman over a problem? Not that we don't have RS presidents. It's just that there are certain circumstances, such as repentance for example, that is entirely governed by men. Do I feel oppressed? No. Do I feel limited? Sometimes. Most of the time I feel frustrated by the men AND women who misunderstand the doctrine or who administer their office/family with outdated cultural norms. There is no doubt that women in history and in the world today have been oppressed.

Being a woman even today is an uphill challenge on many fronts and some of those fronts overlap into the church. Our doctrine should, at least as far as I understand, transcend time and culture and myopic worldly attitudes. But it doesn't cause its an earthly organization run by faulty humans who carry traditions that are not correct from generation to generation.

What do we do about it all? I don't know. The spirit teaches us though. I know that. We need to discern truth inside the church just as much as we need it out in the world. The best we can do then is govern our behaviors and attitudes appropriately and help others do the same. Helping LDS women understand that they are good and worthy is an issue and and uphill battle some days. Banishing the pretty mormon picture and the perfect woman standing at the helm is one of my firmest hopes.

Edited by Misshalfway

None of that ministry has ever met me apparently. I think I can say i'm probably one of the most liberated women I know. If Betty Friedan had ever crossed my path, I think I would have made her pee her pants.

The entire thing is a little obnoxious and sad. I personally find it condescending that a bunch of men would tell women "you aren't smart enough to pick a healthy, non-cultish religion on your own. Here, let us help you, you poor misguided lambs."