Desire to take out my endowment

AmyKate88

The title pretty much speaks for itself but let me give a little background!

I am 21, and a convert to the church of two years. I was the first member in my family, but my little brother has since joined and is planning on serving a mission this fall!

I have an extremely strong testimony of the Gospel, and try to be as righteous as possible. Sorry if that sounds arrogant! I go to the temple at least once a week and have been trying to do a lot of my ancestors' work as well.

That being said, I have felt a really strong desire to take out my endowment. My bishop has told me that so long as I'm under 25, I cannot do so unless I am serving a mission or getting married. This bothers me to no end because I cannot find a doctrinal basis anywhere. All the sources I have looked at (prophets, Ensign articles, etc) all state that personal faith and righteousness are the qualifying factors, not age or circumstances.

I have prayed about it for months now and keep feeling the really strong impression to receive my endowment. I am planning on talking to my bishop about it this upcoming Sunday, because it is really weighing on my mind. What do you guys think?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The standard is that females wait until they are either going on a mission or getting married. Unless they are older. While there may not be anything in an Ensign article or anything showing up doctrinely ..it may be in the Church Handbook which Church and local leaders follow.

Talk to your Bishop. He is guided by the Spirit as well. Just don't be too let down if he keeps his stance and recommends waiting until you are 25 if that is what he has already told you.

I don't know if there is any doctrinal basis to his claim or not. If somebody does know where such can be found they might post it for you. My post is assuming there is no doctrinal basis:

I think if you are feeling the impression to get your endowment you should definitely talk with your bishop about going for it. Your patriarchal blessing (while not as big and important as your endowment) follows a similar guideline of personal faith and righteousness. I received mine when I was 12, which many thought to be really early, but I felt ready for it and my bishop agreed.

I'm 22 and I don't yet feel ready to get my endowment, but maybe you are an early bloomer in this area as I was an early bloomer with the patriarchal blessing.

I guess I just don't understand why the limits on receiving your endowment are imposed. I just would love to be able to worship more fully in the temple. I also would like to be able to do more temple work for my ancestors.

I understand that maybe a reason for the barrier is to keep immature people out who don't really have a deep understanding of the theology, but I guess I just don't feel like that applies to me. I have studied the Gospel and the Church intensely, both before and after baptism, and I feel just as qualified as my endowed friends.

I guess I just don't understand why the limits on receiving your endowment are imposed. I just would love to be able to worship more fully in the temple. I also would like to be able to do more temple work for my ancestors.

I understand that maybe a reason for the barrier is to keep immature people out who don't really have a deep understanding of the theology, but I guess I just don't feel like that applies to me. I have studied the Gospel and the Church intensely, both before and after baptism, and I feel just as qualified as my endowed friends.

Church leaders explained a few years ago that too many people were ill prepared on making such sacred covenants in the temple. As a result some guidelines were established. One of those was women receiving their endowments in their young years.

I was baptized at age 18. I was at BYU and as I grew older while at BYU, nearly ALL my friends began receiving/had endowments. Guys had them because of the mission, some girls because of the mission and some because they got married. Often people would make that "temple eye-contact"--you know the one. Someone says something, another says, "Oh that reminds me of the temple", there is a pause in the conversation and then all endowed members look each other in the eye to acknowledge they know to what they are referring but cannot say it. It annoyed the crap out of me.

My point is that I think I understand what you are feeling. But, something you must remember--your bishop IS partly responsible for your spiritual welfare (you are ultimately the one responsible). You may not understand the reasons, he may not be able to articulate them, but you must trust your bishop in this. It is better to have waited and be completely prepared to accept these covenants rather than be pretty sure you are ready and take on covenants you may or may not be ready for.

Be patient. Be obedient. Be submissive to the Lord's way of doing things. You can still fully worship while not being endowed until the time is right. Keep talking to your bishop but remember that being submissive to the Lord is reflected in your attitude towards your bishop and his counsel.

The title pretty much speaks for itself but let me give a little background!

I am 21, and a convert to the church of two years. I was the first member in my family, but my little brother has since joined and is planning on serving a mission this fall!

I have an extremely strong testimony of the Gospel, and try to be as righteous as possible. Sorry if that sounds arrogant! I go to the temple at least once a week and have been trying to do a lot of my ancestors' work as well.

That being said, I have felt a really strong desire to take out my endowment. My bishop has told me that so long as I'm under 25, I cannot do so unless I am serving a mission or getting married. This bothers me to no end because I cannot find a doctrinal basis anywhere. All the sources I have looked at (prophets, Ensign articles, etc) all state that personal faith and righteousness are the qualifying factors, not age or circumstances.

I have prayed about it for months now and keep feeling the really strong impression to receive my endowment. I am planning on talking to my bishop about it this upcoming Sunday, because it is really weighing on my mind. What do you guys think?

I say do it. I was 21 when I had mine, and it occurred under the same conditions, that I felt strongly urged to get it.

I was about to have heart surgery rather than go on a mission or be married, but even my Bishop felt strongly that I was to take out my endowment.

So I was 21 and not married and not going on a mission.

There really is no set rule, it is all up to your Bishop and Stake President.

Pray and fast for what is right and the Lord will touch your Bishop's heart...

But keep in mind one important thing: Those covenants that you will make, if broken, bring about serious consequences.

Be aware of that when you pray concerning your endowment.

The standard is that females wait until they are either going on a mission or getting married. Unless they are older. While there may not be anything in an Ensign article or anything showing up doctrinely ..it may be in the Church Handbook which Church and local leaders follow.

Talk to your Bishop. He is guided by the Spirit as well. Just don't be too let down if he keeps his stance and recommends waiting until you are 25 if that is what he has already told you.

That "25" age seems arbitrary. I'm personally aware of single women who have received their endowment without getting married or going on a mission. IMO, this is more "practice" or "tradition" than it is doctrinal. I can check my copy of the CHI this weekend, but I can't recall any mention of this age being a restriction.

That "25" age seems arbitrary. I'm personally aware of single women who have received their endowment without getting married or going on a mission. IMO, this is more "practice" or "tradition" than it is doctrinal. I can check my copy of the CHI this weekend, but I can't recall any mention of this age being a restriction.

Like I said, it "may" be in there. I don't know as I don't have access to the handbook. I do believe it is a case by case basis..but all my experience in the Church, more times than not local leaders have been inspired to have women wait.

Edited by pam

Bishop and Stake President hold ultimate decision on this. But the main reason they want to to wait is young single adults under such a strict covenant is sometimes a bad mix. I believe the overall general feeling is they don't want these young people to make covenants that they may be unable to keep due to pressue from various outside forces. Lets face it being adult and single is hard. Some may be able to withstand it but others don't and the overall feeling is maybe they are seeing many not hold true to these covenants while young and single.

Just some thoughts that come to mind.

Like I said, it "may" be in there. I don't know as I don't have access to the handbook. I do believe it is a case by case basis..but all my experience in the Church, more times than not local leaders have been inspired to have women wait.

I know...I just thought I'd look to see if I can find any clarification. Honestly, I'm aware of this traditional practice, but can't think of one good reason for it (doctrinal or otherwise).

The standard is that females wait until they are either going on a mission or getting married.

One of those was women receiving their endowments in their young years.

…more times than not local leaders have been inspired to have women wait.

Why just women? I’m sure there are LDS men younger than 25 who have not served a mission or who are not getting married that may also wish to receive their Endowment. Or does not serving a mission automatically disqualify a man from receiving his endowment before the age of 25?

I think if you are feeling the impression to get your endowment you should definitely talk with your bishop about going for it. Your patriarchal blessing (while not as big and important as your endowment) follows a similar guideline of personal faith and righteousness. I received mine when I was 12, which many thought to be really early, but I felt ready for it and my bishop agreed.

I misread that as you getting endowed when you were twelve and I was like "umm, what?" :lol:

Having gone through a little over month ago for the first time, I understand now why the leaders of the Church are very careful. It is an amazing, beautiful experience...of which I can only grasp at the basics. I've been back once more now, and it's amazing how much more knowledge comes pouring in the second time. If I understood anything from it...it's that I need to go back often, during the entire span of my life.

Btw, if your brother hasn't gone through yet, tell him from me to just go through with an open heart and an open mind. Don't worry too much about remembering everything, or trying to figure anything out the first time, just concentrate on how you feel. :)

Also, tell him congratulations. I enter the Missionary Training Center on February the 17th. Arizona Phoenix, Spanish speaking. Maybe I'll see him there!

I'm male and single and went through the first time when I was 28 I think. My Bishop told me the requirements were that you were 18, held the Melchizedek Priesthood if male, took the temple prep class, and be able to properly answer the recommend questions from a "have you" perspective instead of "will you."

I think someone should go through if they are serious, have geniune faith in the truthfulness of the church, and are prepared to keep the covenants. I think the covenants help put the plan of salvation into a better systematic perspective and enhance your understanding of the gospel. Also, what you learn in the temple greatly enhances your outside study of the subject. You will finally understand what all of these 600 page books by Hugh Nibley are talking about, as well as how other ancient traditions relate to the church, and it will open up a whole new dimension to your study and understandng of the Gospel. Also, the Spirit really speaks to your heart in the environment of the temple. You get something new out of it every time you go. You will also get more opportunities to do work for the dead.

So, I'm all for it. The temple is my favorite part of the church and has blessed my life more than anything!

OP,

i've been feeling in a similar way as of the past month or so, like UBER strongly. i really do want to go and receive my Endowment, but then there are the times i get the impression that i'm not quite there yet.

so i've decided, yes i AM preparing for my Endowment, so i am. however long i must prepare will only enable me to greatly appreciate those covenants that much more, even though i REALLY REALLY wanna go now lol. feel free to PM or instant message me or anything if you ever wanna talk :) cause i know exactly how you're feeling.

I remember feeling exactly the same way when I wanted to go to the temple and my Bishop kept telling me to wait. I waited until I was engaged and then was finally able to go.I shared that experience with my fiance and understood then that I wouldn't have wanted anyone else be the one who took my hand to guide me through to the Celestial room. I'm glad my Bishop taught me to be patient in that.

Thank you everyone for your input, I really appreciate it!

On Sunday I talked to my bishop about it and tried to make a pretty solid case for my reasons. He heard me out, and said that he agreed that I was more mature than most girls my age in the Church, and that he would "go to battle" for me with the stake president. So we will see what happens!

At first he said that since it "looked like" me and my boyfriend would get engaged soon (we have been together for 6 months), he said I should wait until I can go through with him. Unfortunately I had to insist that since boyfriend and I have never talked about marriage in the future, I didn't want to pin a personal blessing on something that wasn't realistic. I wish that wasn't the case! haha :)

Anyway, thank you again and I will keep you posted on what answer I get back from the stake president!

AmyKate...

Sorry I'm a bit late to post to this thread...but I wanted to share a story with you...I converted when I was 18 years old and a freshman in college...going to a student ward.

About a year after I was baptized, my stake president, Howard Anderson (Los Angeles Stake), gave a talk in our ward and I gave the closing prayer. After I said the prayer, President Anderson came up to me and after thanking me for the prayer immediately said, "Have you considered preparing yourself to go to the temple?" I was speechless and surprised because this was NOT on my radar at all.

He just said, "We send young men on missions at 19 years old and they receive their endowments then. Since women mature much earlier than men, then I think we SHOULD encourage our young women to go to the temple as soon as they can and NOT just because of a mission or marriage...whenever they feel they're ready regardless of age."

I just thanked him and said I would think and pray about it. My friend, who was standing next to me at the time and heard him, just said to me, "Boy he must have been quite inspired to tell you that!".

Long story short....I didn't prepare to go to the temple just then...but I did start taking temple prep classes a couple of years later...and received my endowments a whole year before I got married. I'm so glad I did...because by the time I got sealed, I fully appreciated the blessings of the temple and was able to focus solely on my sealing on my wedding day.

This was a long time ago...so I'm not sure if any official "rules" apply now...but they sure didn't back then.

Either way, YOUR local leaders will know what's best for YOU so if they do decide that you need to wait, just be patient...you'll receive these blessings soon enough.

Hidden

My sister is 22 and her bishop won't let her get her endowments yet, either. He said 24. Meanwhile my husband and I have our temple recommends and are going to the temple next month, for endowments and sealing. But my sister, who really helped me get on the right track, won't be able to be there. She has a good attitude; she will go to the visitor's center and wait for us all to come out after.

My sister is 22 and her bishop won't let her get her endowments yet. He said 24. Meanwhile my husband and I have our temple recommends and are going to the temple next month, for endowments and sealing. But my sister, who really helped me get on the right track, won't be able to be there. She has a good attitude; she will go to the visitor's center and wait for us all to come out after.

OK, here's the update:

My bishop called me and said that he had talked to our stake president about it. The stake prez said that he would not permit me to receive my endowment because I was under the age of 24 and was not engaged. He said that he "expects" me to be married by the time I'm 24 anyway, so I shouldn't worry about it.

Needless to say, I am less than satisfied with this answer. I respect him as the stake president but I need a better reason than simply because I don't have a ring on my finger. I venture to say that I am more spiritually mature than many 19 year old girls I know who have been married in the temple.

*sigh*

Anyway, I am going to make an appointment with the stake president so I can hear and hopefully understand his reasons better.

I've posted this quote a few times before, but here it is again, since it's the clearest public statement of official policy that I know:

"Recent instruction from the First Presidency clarifies the policy for obtaining temple recommends and receiving endowments. It was reiterated that receiving one’s temple endowment is a serious matter that should be extended only to those who are sufficiently prepared and mature enough to keep the covenants they enter into. They also affirmed that single members in their late teens or early twenties who have not received a mission call or who are not engaged to be married in the temple should not be recommended to the temple for their own endowment. Every member who is 12 or older can, however, receive a Limited-Use Recommend to perform baptisms for the dead." -- Sister Beck, at a recent CES broadcast (emphasis added)

This policy is new, however (last few years), so there are definitely plenty of people wandering around the Church who received their endowments as single teenagers or in their early twenties. But it is the policy now. I wasn't too happy about it either, but personally I think it's in place because both a mission and a marriage are an automatic support system for newly-endowed members. The temple covenants are very serious, and the temple itself can be overwhelming, and I think people do better when they can have that support from either the mission structure and a companion, or from a new spouse.

If you do decide to meet with your Stake President, I hope it all goes well. :)

Edited by sensibility