Does this forum represent correct LDS teaching?

yorkiebeebs

I'm not trying to be offensive but I've been wondering lately if this is the real deal or not. It just seems like there are some really off the wall things posted here and as an investigator I need to know if things posted here are correct teaching.

I know that on forums there are friendships developed over time and silly posts can pop up and everyone just knows they are for fun.

As someone who is just learning I don't always know.

I'm not going to list specific posts because because I believe that would be offensive and cause unnecessary comments.

In general, the two things that stand out the most is that I get the impression that people are very casual in their thinking about sin. One thing specifically is polygamy. Is "thou shalt not commit adultery" not in the 10 commandments any more?

Sin in general seems to not sound very serious in alot of posts I read. In the LDS church are the 10 commandments only valid if supported by the BOM?

Also, while I'm asking these questions, is the Holy Bible KJV accepted as the number one authority or is the BOM. If the BOM or a prophet contradicts one of the 10 commandments does it become the new commandment?

Like I said before, I'm not trying to stir up trouble or be offensive but these things I wonder about.

I know that I'm new and really don't know what I'm talking about but I'm just telling you my impressions as I read the posts. I'm thinking that if I'm thinking these thoughts that maybe other newbies are also and you might want to know that.

yorkie, in the site rules it states:

Any views expressed on LDS.NET are independent of and do not represent the views of LDS.NET, More Good Foundation, or The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

That means that those who post here do not represent the church. Now, having said that, oftentimes you will see postings that refer to lds.org or other publications that is representative of the church.

Basically, you have members of the church on this site who are trying to live the Gospel of Jesus Christ to the best of their knowledge. We share our knowledge with each other--some of us get it right, some of us are short of right and some of us are still learning.

I'm not trying to be offensive but I've been wondering lately if this is the real deal or not. It just seems like there are some really off the wall things posted here and as an investigator I need to know if things posted here are correct teaching.

I know that on forums there are friendships developed over time and silly posts can pop up and everyone just knows they are for fun.

Unfortunately, in a setting such as this, you have hundreds of people, each with different life experiences and different interpretations of scripture. Variances will come up.

In general, the two things that stand out the most is that I get the impression that people are very casual in their thinking about sin. One thing specifically is polygamy. Is "thou shalt not commit adultery" not in the 10 commandments any more?

I'm not sure what you mean by that. The LDS Church hasn't practiced polygamy in 120 years.

Sin in general seems to not sound very serious in alot of posts I read. In the LDS church are the 10 commandments only valid if supported by the BOM?

The 10 commandments are in the Book of Mormon. Mosiah 13

Also, while I'm asking these questions, is the Holy Bible KJV accepted as the number one authority or is the BOM.

We believe the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly; we also believe the Book of Mormon to be the word of God.

If the BOM or a prophet contradicts one of the 10 commandments does it become the new commandment?

LDS believe that the words, instructions, and counsel of living prophets supercedes that of dead prophets, whether since the time of Joseph Smith, or in ancient times.

[re: TLC's "Sister Wives", about polygamy]

(stunned look)

First, you cannot count on television to bother with fact when sensationalism draws higher ratings.

Second, as previously stated in this thread, the practice of polygamy ended by revelation in 1890 (see Official Declaration 1 in the Doctrine and Covenants). These days, it'll get you excommunicated from the Salt Lake City-based "main" LDS church. We do have some offshoots that insist on clinging to a practice no longer authorized by God, but they're presumably not the church you say you're investigating.

Third, I would respectfully suggest you be a LOT more careful about your sources. A TV show devoted to something we stopped doing 120 years ago, made by non-LDS, is NOT a reliable source for the true doctrines of the Church.

Edited by Seanette
adding some clarity

I'm not going to list specific posts because because I believe that would be offensive and cause unnecessary comments.

it wasn't in the 10 commandments to begin with. LDS have only practiced polygamy when commanded to by God.

no LDS are very serious about the 10 commandments and all the other commandments given by God.

Also, while I'm asking these questions, is the Holy Bible KJV accepted as the number one authority or is the BOM. If the BOM or a prophet contradicts one of the 10 commandments does it become the new commandment?

God is the number 1 authority in LDS thought and takes precedence of any scripture were there to be acontradiction (which there is a great lack of).

Like I said before, I'm not trying to stir up trouble or be offensive but these things I wonder about.

These are good questions and are not offensive at all.

I know that I'm new and really don't know what I'm talking about but I'm just telling you my impressions as I read the posts. I'm thinking that if I'm thinking these thoughts that maybe other newbies are also and you might want to know that.

no this forum does not teach LDS doctrine. Individuals on this forum teach the doctrines and teachings of the LDS, as they have come to understand it, and how they see it.

If you want to just know the straight up pure LDS teachings without any trimmings then this is the site you need to go to, rather than LDS.net:

Scriptures

Now that being said, this forum has many members who have really good insight into the LDS culture and how the LDS see things, and etc... Which is great, but keep in mind that everyone has their own unique insight and their own unique experience.

Good questions Yorkie. The responses have been excellent.

Just to add my 2 cents for what it's worth and to add to what has already been said. All who frequent lds.net are at different levels of understanding. Even those of us who have been lifelong members are still on a quest for learning and understanding just as you are in infancy so to speak.

Many of us try and answer questions by providing links to lds.org or mormon.org to show what scripture, talks by general authorities etc say on certain matters.

[re: TLC's "Sister Wives", about polygamy]

(stunned look)

First, you cannot count on television to bother with fact when sensationalism draws higher ratings.

Second, as previously stated in this thread, the practice of polygamy ended by revelation in 1890 (see Official Declaration 1 in the Doctrine and Covenants). These days, it'll get you excommunicated from the Salt Lake City-based "main" LDS church. We do have some offshoots that insist on clinging to a practice no longer authorized by God, but they're presumably not the church you say you're investigating.

Third, I would respectfully suggest you be a LOT more careful about your sources. A TV show devoted to something we stopped doing 120 years ago, made by non-LDS, is NOT a reliable source for the true doctrines of the Church.

I think she was referring to some of the discussion around the show, such as some people saying they wouldn't have a problem living polygamy, etc. (although they don't, just that it wouldn't bother them).

Edited by MarginOfError
This hasn't been edited, I swear.

In general, the two things that stand out the most is that I get the impression that people are very casual in their thinking about sin.

Some people don't take thing seriously but you also have people that understand that self-recrimination can be defeating. Better to focus on Christ's atonement and the opportunity for change rather then wallow in "I done did wrong!" Not sure if you are referring the advice forums or not though.

One thing specifically is polygamy. Is "thou shalt not commit adultery" not in the 10 commandments any more?

If polygamy is commanded of the Lord it isn't adultery. No more so than marital relations are fornication. Now you may or may not accept the premise that it was commanded of the Lord, but from the LDS perspective what was practiced (as pointed out over a century ago) was not adultery. As far as folks currently practicing polygamy, it is not current authorized by the Lord and is therefore a sin.

The polygamy reference was from the discussion about the new reality show "Sister Wives". I think that's what it's called.

As pointed out the show in question is not about LDS Members in good standing with the Church. If what you are referencing is jokes about polygamy. Polygamy is something members hear a lot about so there is a tendency to joke about it. I personally think of a couple main reasons for the jokes (in general) is:

1) We are often accused of currently practicing polygamy. This is not the case, therefore those who do so are displaying ignorance. There is a tendency to poke gently back at the ignorance through jokes.

2) In similar vein If someone accuses you of sleeping in a barn enough times there is a tendency (for some people) to joke about it.

3) I can be a disturbing thing to contemplate and some people dissipate nervous energy about it with jokes and the like.

4) People make jokes. People make jokes all the time about killing their kid (well at least Cosby did) and making another one just like it. I personally don't think such people are taking the sin of murder lightly*. At least not in the sense that they think it is akin to littering or something. So if someone cracks a joke about how an extra wife would cut down on the housework I wouldn't necessarily assume they think adultery is no big. Also as pointed out from the LDS perspective it would only be lived if required and if required it wouldn't be a sin. Such jokes usually have a implied "if it was required again" subtext to them. Which as a non-member I can understand you wouldn't necessarily understand.

5) Some people like to consider themselves ready to live it pursuant to it being required again. This would be the flip side of those who are distraught over the prospect of possibly having to live it again.

* Stealing something is another common thing to joke about even though the joker realizes that stealing isn't a good thing. The juxtaposition between what one should do or would be expected to do and the stated intent in the joke is usually the substance of a lot of those kind of jokes.

Edited by Dravin

What does adultry (having sex outside of marriage) and polygamy (marrying multiple partners) have to do with each other?

For those of us that understand the place that polygamy had in ancient and even in Joseph Smith's time we would ask that question.

To others that don't understand or are not of our faith, the two can be seen as being the same.

What does adultry (having sex outside of marriage) and polygamy (marrying multiple partners) have to do with each other?

Adultery is defined as voluntary intercourse between a married man or woman and a partner other than the legal spouse. Legally a person can only be married to one person at a time (in North America anyway), therefore with polygamy the man and the other women who are not his legal spouses are committing adultery.

M.

Adultery is defined as voluntary intercourse between a married man or woman and a partner other than the legal spouse. Legally a person can only be married to one person at a time (in North America anyway), therefore with polygamy the man and the other women who are not his legal spouses are committing adultery.

M.

But then, if they are married by a religious ceremony with no civil authority, then they are only committing adultery in the eyes of the law, but not in the eyes of their religion.