Trick or Treating on Sunday?

tubaloth

Being in Utah, it was kind of the unwritten rule that trick or treating would be on Saturday (maybe other are doing the same thing).

The is the first time being in my house and thus the first time I got to buy Candie and give it out.

I was pretty much expecting to give all my candy out and not doing anything on Sunday.

With the weather not really being that fun, only the fully dedicated kids came around.

I had a total of 23 people come. I still have a lot of candy around.

I wasn't planning on giving candy out on sunday. Not sure why I didn't want to do it, I just didn't want to do that on Sunday.

But now I have all this candy, if Trick or Treaters come, do I give it out....

Not sure.

Why not?

I for one, don't understand why something like this is classified under "LDS Gospel Discussion."

Because it's a question as to whether it's keeping the sabbath day holy.

Because it's a question as to whether it's keeping the sabbath day holy.

I understand that in theory. I guess I just don't understand how opening your door and being kind to your neighbors is breaking the Sabbath. As long as you buy the candy on a different day, I don't see a problem.

Being in Utah, it was kind of the unwritten rule that trick or treating would be on Saturday (maybe other are doing the same thing).

The is the first time being in my house and thus the first time I got to buy Candie and give it out.

I was pretty much expecting to give all my candy out and not doing anything on Sunday.

With the weather not really being that fun, only the fully dedicated kids came around.

I had a total of 23 people come. I still have a lot of candy around.

I wasn't planning on giving candy out on sunday. Not sure why I didn't want to do it, I just didn't want to do that on Sunday.

But now I have all this candy, if Trick or Treaters come, do I give it out....

Not sure.

go with your feelings. I don't think it will matter much one way or the other.

As I gave an example of this in an earlier thread, is it any worse to give an apple pie to a new neighbor on the sabbath than it is to give candy to kids?:confused: Other than the fact that one is wearing a costume and the other isn't, I honestly don't get the difference! If we as LDS could sometimes get past our analytical, Phariseen way of thinking on minor issues as this and live more by the spirit of the law (of giving and sharing:)), then issues like this shouldn't have any reason to ever be brought up.

I understand that in theory. I guess I just don't understand how opening your door and being kind to your neighbors is breaking the Sabbath. As long as you buy the candy on a different day, I don't see a problem.

That's why he's asking. People see things differently.

Here's my own opinion (take it for what it's worth):

Giving out candy on Holloween that's on a Sunday: No problem. Be nice to your neighbors that come to your door (and reduce the chances for personal property damage while you're at it). You can always attach a pass-along card to the candy if it makes you feel better.

Going trick-or-treating on Holloween that's on a Sunday: I wouldn't do it. Trick-or-treating has always felt more like "begging and getting" with a goulish theme. It's not like our kids don't have the trunk-or-treat activities that most wards do (and get more candy with less walking in a safer environment).

Our family opts out of the Trick-or-Treating once every 7 years when the holiday falls on the Sabbath. For us, our Sabbath is a very close to home day, with no TV other than "religious themed" programming, no music other than "Sunday approved" (by mom and dad... and yes, we have fluctuated over the years), no outside playing, and a big list of "approved" activities like journaling, scripture study, letter writing, etc. Pretty much, if it doesn't bring one closer to Christ or promote the spirit of what we believe the Sabbath to be about (in our view and interpretation), then we don't do it.

Halloween parties, Trick-or-Treating and the like, for us, do not fall into this criteria of "coming unto Christ" or "honoring His day" and therefore, once every seven years, the kiddos are disappointed to not be out Trick-or-Treating. What does that work out to? Two times in their overall childhood they miss out on Trick-or-Treating? *shrug* Not a big deal in our book.

We didn't take our kids out since we took them to trunk or treat last week. We did give out candy on Halloween, but the interesting thing was that we let the kids hand out the candy and they said that it was more fun giving out the candy than getting it.

Okay...get the sighing and the "Oh come ons!" done now...we don't trick or treat. It's not that I am fearful that the demons that the Celts worshipped 2000 years ago during their Samhain festivals will jump into my kids. Neither do I imagine that bobbing for apples honors the Roman god Pomona, the way it did a couple of millenia ago. Rather, I fear that perception can be powerful. Halloween is known as a dark, Devil-oriented day. In essence, we make light of the spirit realm. It's just for fun, for candy, or to dress up in costumes and get drunk, for the secular adults.

Then, three to five years later, we ask our kids to be baptized, to invite God's Spirit into their hearts, to take seriously that there are angels and demons, etc. In my church, we also invite them to "experience God," to sense his presence.

I cannot get away from the disconnect here. Some children may wonder at the inconsistency. Devils, ghosts, etc. are all make believe fun...but there really are devils and angels???

No condemnation or judgment on others. However, I hope Christian parents of all stripes unpack for their children just what it is they believe. We do the church-based alternatives (Hallelujah Fest, etc.), and later in the evening, our kids hand out candy to trick or treaters. We give generous amounts of candy, usually with a single Bible verse attached.

I suggest no campaign against Halloween, nor that everyone must do as my family does. However, consider the themes of this particular holiday, it surely makes for a great spiritual teaching opportunity.

What's trunk or treat? I've seen that twice now in this thread. Is that when you go door to door and give the candy back?:D

We have a lot of "ward activities" as LDS. A ward is a local congregation, determined by geographic boundaries. A "trunk or treat" is a ward activity at which we line our cars up in the church parking lot, trunks all facing the same way, and kids walk around trick-or-treating at each car. People often (but not always) decorate their trunks, like they might decorate their porches or yards for Halloween night.

We have a lot of "ward activities" as LDS. A ward is a local congregation, determined by geographic boundaries. A "trunk or treat" is a ward activity at which we line our cars up in the church parking lot, trunks all facing the same way, and kids walk around trick-or-treating at each car. People often (but not always) decorate their trunks, like they might decorate their porches or yards for Halloween night.

I've been a member of the church for over 30 years and I've never heard of that! That's different. Oh well, I guess that's because I've never done anything trick or treating at any of the wards. Live and learn.

I don't have a problem trick or treating on Sunday. This year was actually a nice experience. My older kids were off on their own, so it was just me and my six year old son, he is mildly autistic so it is often a challenge just to get him outside and interacting with people. At first he didn't want to go, because he remembered a house from last year that was particularly scary, but as the day approached he decided to go after all.

We ended up having a great time together. As he approached each house he would almost yell "trick or treat" and take the people by surprise with his enthusiasm. They would ask him if he was a ninja and he would quickly explain that he was a jedi, so they would ask if he was Luke Skywalker so he had to further explain that he was Mace Windu, "See the purple light saber?" It was great to see him out and talking to people and making them smile with his innocence and excitement.

Good times, good memories, that I would not have if we had stayed home. I can't imagine the Lord would be displeased.

We had a Ward Carnival taking the place of Trunk or Treat on Saturday

12 game booths set up for the kids -- everyone got a piece of candy at each one, win or lose. plus bunches of candy handed out. Also a chili cookoff for the adults and hot dogs being grilled by the boy scout leaders.

Much more fun than your usual trunk or treat.

I had my lights off on Sunday as a matter of principle and I'm outside of Utah. But that is a personal choice NOT based on religous considerations. Many of the Churches around here (non-LDS) have some kind of trunk or treat or festival type thing and very few actually go out trick or treating no matter what night of the week it is.

I got tired of all the older kids driving (ie over 16) to more than one neighborhood not in costumes and just trying to get as much candy as they can

Edited by mnn727