What is the purpose of Earthly life if you are not a churchmember?

Chango

This may seem like a dumb random question but it is something that astounds me from time to time...Of all the billions and billions of people past and present that have lived on the earth, maybe 00.01% (rounding up here) have ever been church members and had the opportunity to "know" why we are here and what our purpose is. As for everyone else, what is the purpose of earthly life for someone who is and will never have the chance to hear the gospel? Are they judged of their deeds after death? Or do they just get a "free-pass" while here and get to repent later after they die? (which I gotta say sounds like a pretty sweet deal to me......) Maybe someone can help me understand this a little better.........

This may seem like a dumb random question but it is something that astounds me from time to time...Of all the billions and billions of people past and present that have lived on the earth, maybe 00.01% (rounding up here) have ever been church members and had the opportunity to "know" why we are here and what our purpose is. As for everyone else, what is the purpose of earthly life for someone who is and will never have the chance to hear the gospel? Are they judged of their deeds after death? Or do they just get a "free-pass" while here and get to repent later after they die? (which I gotta say sounds like a pretty sweet deal to me......) Maybe someone can help me understand this a little better.........

Their purpose is the same as was mentioned. Those that never had the opportunity to learn of the gospel will have that opportunity after they die. They will then be able to accept it or not. As I've said before in other threads, that's the wonderful thing about temple work. They can be baptized and have ordinances done for them by proxy by those here on earth.

Edited by pam

The purpose of this life is to gain a body. That's really it. You're here, you have your body. Regardless of how good or bad you are, whether you join the church or any church or not, regardless of what you believe... you will be resurrected. That's the purpose of this life.

Hopefully, along the way you'll hear and accept the gospel of Jesus Christ. If not in this life, in the spirit world prior to the resurrection.

We have the opportunity to do the temple work for those who have gone before. And for those who died before records were kept, there is the 1000 years when Satan will be bound and we will have access to more knowledge. A lot of temple work will be done then. Personally I can't wait for the millenium. :)

We will all be judged on our deeds. And judgement will be based on our knowledge.

There is a thread here somewhere about the Plan of Salvation. Justice posted it. Its a suggestion for a lesson (family home evening, personal study, etc.) I'll look for it and add it here. It was a good exercise to understand what the scriptures say about the purpose of life and the Plan of Salvation.

EDIT: Found it!!! YAY... I thought it would take me longer. Here's the link to the thread: http://www.lds.net/forums/lds-gospel-discussion/17368-plan-salvation.html

Edited by applepansy

Their purpose is the same as was mentioned. Those that never had the opportunity to learn of the gospel will have that opportunity after they die. They will then be able to accept it or not. As I've said before in other threads, that's the wonderful thing about temple work. They can be baptized and have ordinances done for them by proxy by those here on earth.

This particular belief is only a shade different than the Catholic Church's belief. Protestants stop praying for people after they die, giving up all hope that the person can be saved. Those who know better know that God's saving grace is at work even in the abyss of death, and our prayers for the souls of the deceased are truly efficacious.

Frankly, the Church is not all there is to life. People can learn an awful lot, and accomplish a lot of good, without ever having heard of the LDS Church. That's not to say we don't have something to offer--we do--just that God looks after all his children, and they'll be just fine. If it helps, Latter-day Saints are doing lots of temple work to give the dead an opportunity. (Endowments were done for three of my ancestors just a few hours ago! Woot, woot!)

still pretty much the same..

to get a body. to be tested, both in how well we'd follow truth and christ, and how we treat those around us.

Their purpose is exactly the same. They just have to accomplish it without guidance, like walking around wearing a blindfold. But they don't know what their purpose is....make that walking around in a maze wearing a blindfold and not even knowing they are in a maze.

I've lived without the gospel in my life, or even knowledge that there is a plan....there is nothing sweet about it. I wouldn't wish it on anybody.

Are they judged of their deeds after death? Or do they just get a "free-pass" while here and get to repent later after they die? (which I gotta say sounds like a pretty sweet deal to me......) Maybe someone can help me understand this a little better.........

They are judged on their deeds but the amount of knowledge they posses is taken into account. So you live the best life you can based on the amount of knowledge you have.

There is a very obscure doctrine (something that is not taught in the LDS Church) of historic Christianity that the Apostle Paul himself alluded to in the Book of Romans.

This doctrine is called "Natural Theology" and the premise is that because mankind has an innate desire to worship the divine, those who may never hear of Christ, or of the Bible and Book of Mormon, yet worship God through how they observe nature and give thanks to God, and base their lives on how they understand and view God, they are much better off than those who know of God and yet live a life of rebellion.

According to Christian Theology: An Introduction by Alister E. McGrath, we find the following:

This concept of natural theology received a particularly significant development within the confessional element of the Reformed tradition. The Gallic Confession of Faith (1559) argues that God reveals himself to humanity in two ways:

First, in God's works, both in their creation and their preservation and control. Second, and more clearly, in God's Word, which was revealed through oracles in the beginning, and which was subsequently committed to writing in the books which we call the Holy Scriptures.

A related idea was set out in the Belgic Confession (1561), which expanded the brief statement on natural theology found in the Gallic Confession. Once more, knowledge of God is affirmed to come about by two means:

First, by the creation, preservation, and government of the universe, which is before our eyes as a most beautiful book, in which all creatures, great and small, are like so many characters leading us to contemplate the invisible things of God, namely, his eternal power and Godhead, as the Apostle Paul declares (Romans 1:20). All of these things are sufficient to convince humanity, and leave them without excuse.

Now, for my own speculative opinion here.

The LDS Church believes that every person who has been born into this world, who ever will be born, will have an opportunity to hear about the Gospel of Christ, to some extent. We know that the coming of Christ will not happen until the world is flooded with the Restored Gospel of Jesus Christ. Now, at one time, this would have been considered a very unlikely possibility because in order to reach the entire world with the Gospel of Christ, every person would hear the gospel, which lies the impossibility because when one person has been reached that has not heard, many children are already born into the world that have not heard yet. However, that has diminished with the advancement of the Internet and how it has brought the global community together. The Gospel of Christ is reaching more people than ever thought possible just by someone being able to perform a keyword search and read about something on the Gospel of Christ.

And, because as the Church teaches, our Heavenly Father is a loving, kind, gracious father who wants all of his children the opportunity to hear and partake of the Tree of Life. He is not wanting to condemn children because they did not accept Jesus Christ (as mainstream Christianity dangerously teaches). And, since we believe and accept this doctrine, our Father is not going to hold one individual accountable on the same level as another person. His judgments are going to be just and merciful.

So, for instance, two people die. One person is a faithful latter-day saint who has obeyed the commandments, fulfilled his callings, and has done all that he could do in his life to the best of his abilities. The second person never heard of Christ, never heard of the Crucifixion, has no idea who the nation of Israel is or even what a Bible is. Yet, they worshiped God according to their own dictates of their mind. This individual may even have a different name, made an idol as a representation of him, and lived his life doing the best he can to remain faithful to how he viewed and worshiped God.

The modern mainstream Christian believes that the second man will die and be condemned to eternal torment. The Latter-day Saint believes that our Heavenly Father will allow him into either paradise or prison and allow him the opportunity to hear the true gospel of Christ, and accept it.

In fact, the Latter day Saint believes that the millenial reign of Christ will be where all those who had passed on without receiving the Restored Gospel will have an opportunity to do so. Temple work will be done completely and wholly without any interference.

I may be misunderstanding this question but I think Chango is asking - for those who have never heard of the gospel/Christ, what do they think is the purpose of life?

I took that to mean that for those who are not Christians...

I'm even going to go farther and apply it to... say, the tribal villages of the Igorots in the mountains of Banawe, Philippines... isolated from lowlanders who has never seen a Bible nor a TV in their lives. These people do have their own cultures. A lot of these tribes believe in supernatural powers (spirits/God) that provide them with rain/sun/etc as a punishment/reward for their conduct following a code unique to each tribe. But, mostly, these people have strong ties to family, land/nature, and survival. Therefore, their main underlying purpose for life is to survive with their family/tribe and preserving the land for their posterity. Their history has provided to them certain codes of conduct that has proved beneficial to the strength of the tribe - and usually, these codes of conduct include a good relationship with family and nature.

Those are all base, common purposes shared by all humanity. The LDS Church attributes this to the Light of Christ present in every person on earth.

According to LDS beliefs, when these people die, they will eventually get a chance to hear the fullness of the gospel. Because of the Light of Christ, they would have had lived their lives at least in accordance with the basic doctrine of Love. They will be judged according to their understanding.

I believe the purpose of all men is to learn to love G-d with all our hearts, might, minds and strength. As we learn and master that, we must also learn to mirror G-d's love, mercy and compassion towards others.

The Traveler

The Westminster Confession says that, "The chief end of man is to glorify God and to enjoy Him forever." John Piper likes to say (and rightly so), "man is to Glorify God by enjoying Him forever."

Getting a free pass, or having a chance to repent after death is probably not as sweet a deal as you might think. I tmight make us feel better, but it it were true, then we had better close up shop and never tell anyone the Gospel! Why? Because so often people don't believe us, and they reject God without ever knowing Him. So the more practical thing to do would be to zip our lips so that when they do stand before Him they will have a valid excuse: 'I never knew.' But if they repented right then and there, would they really have a choice? Would it be true love or just aquiescence? Would it be true repentance at all? Or would it be a mere acknowledgmnent of fact like demons do? Wouldn't it be like a kid who gets caught in the cookie jar and cries, but will try it again the first chance he gets?

Instead, God approaches us without his glory so that we may truly repent and love Him for Himself.

And if Romans chapter 1 has any truth in it, they do know, deep down. They were created to know, and the creation points to Him. So we can't be quiet, because all those people really are in danger of God's justice falling on them. We cannot assume that anyone deserves to be saved or even to hear the Gospel. We all deserve justice, and that is not good news, but we must start there if there is to be any true faith at all.

Or do they just get a "free-pass" while here and get to repent later after they die? (which I gotta say sounds like a pretty sweet deal to me......)

I suspect that little bit is where the root of your confusion lies. There is no such thing as a "free-pass". There is no "sweet deal". You are suffering from pride and not being grateful for the pearl of great price you have been given.

Perspective can free or destroy us. As for me, I choose to maintain a perspective of: "I'm sure glad I can take this 'test' of life as an 'open-book-test'!!! How awful it would be to have to have this test (which truly does count, and there are no do-overs) blind to the questions, answers, and form!!!" Can you imagine for a minute what it would be like not knowing of the existence of a God, or that there is a Holy Ghost available to guide us if we will but open ourselves and listen? Can you imagine being held accountable for decisions that were contrary to the promptings of the Holy Ghost even though you didn't know there was such thing as a Holy Ghost, or that there would be repercussions to such decisions?

Yes, it is true that less is expected of those given only one talent rather than five. But the expectation still exists to multiply what they were given! To double one talent is just as hard as doubling five talents. And I would prsume that doubling one, blindfolded, is harder than doubling five without handicaps. But the requirement is the same - multiply our talents. So the idea that there is some sort of free pass or sweet deal is a false one, and to my way of thinking, it is simply a feeble attempt at justification from one that does not yet understand the enormous value of the gift freely given to them. I’ve seen the idea crop up several times on this site. Jealously (which is rooted in pride – or enmity for others) for the presumption that those without a knowledge of the truth do not have to obey rules. Well, the issue seems to be a lack of desire to “do all things whatsoever the Lord their God shall command them”, which, after all is at the core of the purpose of this existence. That, coupled with the adversary’s twisting it to make the great and spacious building seem like the better place to be – better because of the idea that those who don’t know better will have no consequences. That is not so. It is a falsehood.

Sorry, there is no such thing as a religious neuralizer! You're just going to have to figure out what you’re going to do with who you are and where you are at. And keeping your gaze fixed upon the cares of the world surely isn’t going to help you see the path that is right in front of you!

Besides the knowledge we have that we all need a physical body and will be tested, there are three scriptures that come to my mind:

(1) "...men are, that they might have joy" 2Nephi: 25.

(2)"For behold, the Spirit of Christ is given to every man, that he may know good from evil;...wherefore ye may know with a perfect knowledge it is of God. But whatsoever thing persuadeth men to do evil, and believe not in Christ, and deny him, and serve not God, then ye may know with a perfect knowledge it is of the devil;..." Moroni 7:16,17.

(3) "And now behold, my beloved brethren, I say unto you, do not suppose that this is all; for after ye have done all these things, if ye turn away the needy, and the naked, and visit not the sick and afflicted, and impart of your substance, if ye have, to those who stand in need--I say unto you, if ye do not any of these things, behold, your prayer is vain, and availeth you nothing, and ye are as hypocrites who do deny the faith. Therefore, if ye do not remember to be charitable, ye are as dross, which the refiners do cast out,..." Alma 34:28,29.

I can't really give these scriptures justice, but the way I understand it, we've all come to earth to receive bodies and have joy. We've all been given the Light of Christ, so we know good from evil. And then we will be judged on whether if we listen to the Light of Christ, which I believe is our conscience. And then how do we behave towards our fellow man--do we have charity? So, depending upon the light and knowledge that we have, it also, to me, boils down to, are we giving, loving, and kind to those we come into contact with--our children, spouse, siblings, parents, neighbors, co-workers, strangers, those we esteem as enemies, etc. Do we have charity towards them--the pure love of Christ?

I have to ask myself, with all the knowledge and testimony that I have, will it avail me anything if I don't have charity? If I receive all the ordinances the Lord wishes me to have--baptism, sealing, etc., how much good will it do me if I don't have charity? If I pray, obey the Word of Wisdom, pay my tithing, fulfill my church callings, attend the temple, etc., how much good will it do me if I don't have charity? So, if a person is born on the earth without the knowledge of the gospel, and wasn't able to receive the saving ordinances, I believe they will be judged according to the light and knowledge that they did receive, and then...how did they treat their fellow man--did they have charity.