Lions and tigers and bears . . .

Just_A_Guy

Douthitt said it is inappropriate for people like Thompson to keep dangerous animals as pets, just as it was to shoot so many of them. Local governments, she said, ought to train law enforcement officers so they are prepared for bizarre cases such as the one that unfolded in Zanesville.

Because, as we all know, mass releases of exotic animals happen all the time in the United States.

Because, as we all know, mass releases of exotic animals happen all the time in the United States.

Well, they sort of do, actually. My wife used to go on stops with animal control and law enforcement, often acting as go-between for them and local vets. She tells a very interesting story about having to wake up a vet at 4am to see if he could spend the next ten hours spaying and nutering over fifty caracals that had been siezed from some moron.

This news story is sort of pushing the envelope about type and number and melodrama - but yeah, go ask anyone in animal control or any vet - they've all got a dozen stories about stuff like this. I'm sure some of it stupidity. Some seems to be legitimate mental illness - people just can't stop collecting.

Well, they sort of do, actually. My wife used to go on stops with animal control and law enforcement, often acting as go-between for them and local vets. She tells a very interesting story about having to wake up a vet at 4am to see if he could spend the next ten hours spaying and nutering over fifty caracals that had been siezed from some moron.

This news story is sort of pushing the envelope about type and number and melodrama - but yeah, go ask anyone in animal control or any vet - they've all got a dozen stories about stuff like this. I'm sure some of it stupidity. Some seems to be legitimate mental illness - people just can't stop collecting.

Perhaps I'm being optimistic, but I'd like to think that if it were one tiger, the entire force would be working together to locate and capture. When it's multiple dangerous animals, I understand the shoot to kill mentality.

Random question--was it really necessary to call the vet at 4:00 AM? were the caracals going to reproduce exponentially in the 2 hours that would have allowed the vet to wake up at a normal hour?

The part that gets me is why so many people seem so set on not killing the animals. I can understand wanting to do our best to tranquilize and save the lives of the animals if possible, but safety comes first. I've worked with exotics. They can be dangerous, and I get kind of irked when situations like this come up and people get upset with the law enforcement or animal control officers for killing the animals. Get upset with the guy who owned them, didn't care for them properly, and let them run loose, yeah. But don't get upset with the law enforcement officers who were putting their own lives on the line to try and bring these animals back safely into captivity.

One of my friends was working at the Minnesota Zoo when one of their wolves managed to get loose of its enclosure. The zoo workers were properly trained for such a situation and did exactly what they were supposed to do. The goal was to get the wolf back in the enclosure without having to kill it if possible, but if the safety of visitors was in jeapordy, quick action to put the wolf down was merited. This is exactly what ended up happening, and then the press wanted to sensationalize it and people wanted to complain about the wolf being put down.

I'm sorry. I'm a major animal fanatic. Have been all my life. But when a wolf is running loose near children, I'd rather put safety first, have someone act quickly and shoot the wolf than risk a child getting hurt or killed while workers took the time for tranquilizers to set in so they could trap it. Same goes for all these loose exotics in Ohio. I mean, sheesh. Tigers were seen chasing a guys horses? People were closing schools and opting to stay indoors? I think this situation merited killing those animals if attempts to tranquilze and capture weren't going well. Those animals would probably be better off dead than stuck in whatever poorly funded zoo or sanctuary they'd end up in anyway.

Random question--was it really necessary to call the vet at 4:00 AM? were the caracals going to reproduce exponentially in the 2 hours that would have allowed the vet to wake up at a normal hour?

It just so happens I have an old photo of some folks who foolishly waited to wake up the vet:

Posted Image

Oh, nothing so obvious or easy! :D

Animal control had closely coordinated with law enforcement to go sieze all the caracals from this guy. But they had dealings with this guy before - he had gotten back his critters quickly before. So they were expecting he'd have them back by end of the day or sooner, so they figured the best they could do, was to sterilize them all so they wouldn't be back next year to sieze twice as many.

Of course, nobody bothered to think about who could do 50 exotic surguries in half a day until my wife showed up and started yelling. The vet swore mightilly.

If many of you get your wish and see a smaller government or libertarian government, expect more situations like this - nutcases collecting guns and buying dangerous animals with the innocent getting hurt. I guess it's the innocent peoples fault for not having a rifle powerful enough to put down a tiger or lion.

If many of you get your wish and see a smaller government or libertarian government, expect more situations like this - nutcases collecting guns and buying dangerous animals with the innocent getting hurt. I guess it's the innocent peoples fault for not having a rifle powerful enough to put down a tiger or lion.

Yep, because the whole smaller government movement thing is about letting nutcases buy lots of guns and dangerous exotic safari-type animals without regard for innocent human life. In fact, I think that's the motto on the front page of the Libertarian website. :cool: In fact I've heard lots of people call a certain former Utah governor a RINO, which is one of the most dangerous animals around once they charge. There's not much worse than a herd of RINOs getting together to plan the destruction of America. I even hear the calls for big, powerful guns to put these RINOs down.

Hoosier, do you really want to go down this road?

Because if we buy the conventional wisdom that the guy was driven to suicide by the federal felony charges pending against him, then we could just as easily blame a bloated government that has made it a "felony" (originally a class of crime that included only murder and rape) to possess the wrong kind of firearm.

States have various laws on what animals you can and can't own. They talked about this on the national news. I'm saying this is a classic example of smaller government. Allowing people to buy wild animals that can kill a person in seconds time is crazy and should be stopped.

Small businesses like pet shops do this too. They will buy a lion and cage it up in the back of the shop, trying to bring in more people. It's really disgusting.

Let the zoos be the place to view the wild and dangerous animals.

Well, as far as what HoosierGuy is talking about there is a bit of truth to it. The governor of the area before the current one, Gov. Strickland, issued a executive order banning the keeping of exotic animals. The current governor, Gov. Kasich, let this order expire because he didn't trust the Ohio National Department of Natural Resources to fully implement the law. As Ohio law stands now, doing what this man did in keeping exotic animals is perfectly legal. Anybody can do it, and there is currently zero regulation in place regarding exotic animals. Gov. Kasich (in the article I linked to) continues to support his decision despite the incident.

St I'm saying this is a classic example of smaller government.

No it's not. A classic example of smaller government would be talking about eliminating layers and layers and layers of government bureaucrats.

Allowing people to buy wild animals that can kill a person in seconds time is crazy and should be stopped.

Then you should also be against people owning dogs and cats too, because pitbulls can kill in seconds and cats are just plain anti-social. (BTW, I am against people owning undomesticated animals as pets)

Small businesses like pet shops do this too. They will buy a lion and cage it up in the back of the shop, trying to bring in more people. It's really disgusting.

Really? I've never seen a pet shop with a lion for sale in the back. Are you sure this is as big of a problem as you claim? Maybe that only happens in Indiana.

It is so sad when endangered animals like the tigers, who have such a small world population, have to be put down like this. It really made me want to cry. I can't imagine what that guy was thinking letting them all go... wasn't he worried that his wife was going to walk into this mess? I heard that some of the officers had to take the animals down with hand guns, which just scares the living daylights out of me. I had a friend who was a police officer who tried to take down a grizzly with his handgun. Didn't work so well, but he luckily had a rifle with him which did the job. When he dug around and found his bullets (right in the forehead of the animal) the hollow point bullets hadn't even gone thru the layer of fat, just the skin. He said the bullet just flattened out without doing much damage. Thank HF that all the officers and the public were able to go home safely. Ugh.

Then you should also be against people owning dogs and cats too, because pitbulls can kill in seconds and cats are just plain anti-social. (BTW, I am against people owning undomesticated animals as pets)

Really? I've never seen a pet shop with a lion for sale in the back. Are you sure this is as big of a problem as you claim? Maybe that only happens in Indiana.

Not for sale but for show. There is a pet shop about twelve miles away from me. They have always been knows as one of the nicer pet fish shops because of all the fish and tanks they carried. They had a lion caged up in back. How they go the lion, I don't know. Maybe they saved it from a bad situation. I don't know. What I do know is that it's rather cruel to keep such a large animal like that in a cage. It was a decent sized caged, about the size of a living room and kitchen combined. Still small for such a magnificent creature.

But the U.S. overall needs much stronger regulation on wild animal buying. Ohio's new governor, the one who wants to privatize the government, did not renew an executive order dealing with this problem. Maybe he's seen the light after this mess.

Kasich Failed To Extend Ohio Ban On Exotic Animals, Now Concedes 'It's A Problem' After Police Kill 49 Escaped Animals | ThinkProgress