What your favorite Metallica song says about you

Vort

Which is your favorite Metallica song?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your favorite Metallica song?

• One
    • Nothing Else Matters
    • Master of Puppets
    • Enter Sandman
    • Turn the Page (Bob Seger cover)
    • Astronomy (Blue Öyster Cult cover)
    • Die Die My Darling (Misfits cover)
    • Something else
    • I don't listen to that kind of garbage.
    • Who?

You are a diehard traditionalist.

You are an iron glove covering a velvet fist, aka a HINO (headbanger in name only).

Master of Puppets

You're an old-style 80's era shredder; you probably listen to

, too.

Enter Sandman

Strictly a bubble-gum headbanger.

(Bob Seger cover)

You are not a headbanger, but you recognize talent when you hear it.

(Blue Öyster Cult cover)

Seriously? A cover of a relatively obscure but absolutely awesome BÖC tune? Dude (or dudette), you may not be a headbanger, but you are my kind of person. And if your

is from Some Enchanted Evening, you are my long-lost twin (freak).

(Misfits cover)

You are messed up. Your future's in an oblong box. But you're fun to hang out with, at least until the cops show up.

You're a Metallica groupie. Not that there's anything wrong with that (weirdo).

I don't listen to that kind of garbage.

I'm so, so sorry for you.

Welcome to the wide world of music! You're in for a treat!

Edited by Vort
Added BÖC "Astronomy" link

Guest xforeverxmetalx

Master of Puppets. At least of those choices - I don't really pick a favorite because I like a bunch. That entire album's good though.

And yes, I do enjoy Testament, seen them 3x live even. Nice choice of song in that link btw. :D

Edited by xforeverxmetalx

You are a diehard traditionalist.

You are an iron glove covering a velvet fist, aka a HINO (headbanger in name only).

Master of Puppets

You're an old-style 80's era shredder; you probably listen to

, too.

Enter Sandman

Strictly a bubble-gum headbanger.

(Bob Seger cover)

You are not a headbanger, but you recognize talent when you hear it.

(Blue Öyster Cult cover)

Seriously? A cover of a relatively obscure but absolutely awesome BÖC tune? Dude (or dudette), you may not be a headbanger, but you are my kind of person. And if your favorite Astronomy version is from Some Enchanted Evening, you are my long-lost twin (freak).

(Misfits cover)

You are messed up. Your future's in an oblong box. But you're fun to hang out with, at least until the cops show up.

You're not a headbanger at all. You just like Metallica. Weirdo.

I don't listen to that kind of garbage.

I'm so, so sorry for you.

Welcome to the wide world of music! You're in for a treat!

I had no idea they did a cover of BOCs astronomy. That would be right up there with my vote of Nothing Else Matters.

Hidden

What about "I've enjoyed listening to several of them, but none are my favorite.."?

It's your favorite Metallica song, not your favorite song.

I went through a period where I really enjoyed Metallica music, but it was never one of my favorite bands. If I were to pick a favorite band from that era, it would be Queen. What does that say about me?

Maybe that you have your eras confused? Queen was a '70s rock band whose popularity peaked in the '80s. Metallica was an '80s metal band whose popularity peaked in the '90s.

(Blue Öyster Cult cover)

Seriously? A cover of a relatively obscure but absolutely awesome BÖC tune? Dude (or dudette), you may not be a headbanger, but you are my kind of person. And if your favorite Astronomy version is from Some Enchanted Evening, you are my long-lost twin (freak).

Awesome song...awesome cover.

FTR: original material by Metallica would be Of Wolf and Man

Probably. I really diss Lars in my info policy classes (partly because I like to, partly because the students freak that I even know who Lars is). I know some of Metallica's stuff and even have a few of their tunes, but I'm not the headbanger type. Not sure that I would see myself as a velvet fist, however as most of the rock I like is anything but soft.

Full confession: I like all the songs I listed, but One is the all-time most gut-wrenching and, frankly, amazing Metallica song, in my estimation. Probably not coincidentally, it was the first Metallica song I ever really liked.

I've never been a fan of Metallica at all. So I'm not sure what that says about me. :)

Either:

1. You are pure and unsullied; or,

2. You are naive and unexposed to aspects of life's artistry.

Probably some of both.

Wait, "Who?" isn't a tentative vote for The Who? Oops! ;)

It is if that's what you want it to be!

Where's Sanitarium???

Fine... Sandman then. Bubble-gum chewing, stage jumping, body slamming headbanger. Booohaaa!

Admittedly, it was not an exhaustive list.

Master of Puppets. At least of those choices - I don't really pick a favorite because I like a bunch. That entire album's good though.

And yes, I do enjoy Testament, seen them 3x live even. Nice choice of song in that link btw. :D

I really should have linked Nightmare instead for a speed/thrash example, but Practice What You Preach was, again, the first Testament song I heard and liked.

Don't be, there's a whole wonderful world out there of actual good music.

Indeed there is! And truth be told, Metallica is a part of that. (But in my estimation, not the song or artist I linked to in that choice...)

I had no idea they did a cover of BOCs astronomy. That would be right up there with my vote of Nothing Else Matters.

I just went back and linked to the Some Enchanted Evening version. If you haven't heard that (and the fact that you know Astronomy suggests that you probably have), go listen to it. One of my all-time favorite songs, of any genre. And while Metallica's cover is not my favorite Metallica song, it is very good, and shows what a song cover should be: A band pays homage to a great song by making it their own.

I'm a little confused. When did the church say that listening to secular music was okay? Next thing you know you'll be telling me they have dances in your wards!!! :eek:

Mormon's can't dance. Or at least,

Ah man... I'm a bubble-gum headbanger.

Sounds just like me.

In college, we would always listen to this station that did a "Mandatory Metallica"

Penn State area stations did that in the early to mid 90s. Seattle's FM 99.9 used to do it, too. Don't know if they still do it. I haven't actually listened to much radio in probably fifteen years.

What about "I've enjoyed listening to several of them, but none are my favorite.."?

I went through a period where I really enjoyed Metallica music, but it was never one of my favorite bands. If I were to pick a favorite band from that era, it would be Queen. What does that say about me?

Hmmm...maybe that you're getting your eras confused? Queen was a '70s band that peaked in the '80s. Metallica was an '80s band that peaked in the '90s.

I went with who be cause there was no "WHAT?" button.

I left the "What?", "When?", "Where?", "Why?", "How?", and "Which?" buttons off, just to mess people up.

Awesome song...awesome cover.

FTR: original material by Metallica would be Of Wolf and Man

I always found that one to be a bit noisy for my tastes. (Ignore any following comments about the irony of this statement.)

Probably. I really diss Lars in my info policy classes (partly because I like to, partly because the students freak that I even know who Lars is). I know some of Metallica's stuff and even have a few of their tunes, but I'm not the headbanger type. Not sure that I would see myself as a velvet fist, however as most of the rock I like is anything but soft.

Black, middle-aged woman who listens to Metallica. Yeah, I can't say that's quite conforming to stereotype, Dahlia. Your students will probably rebel by listening to Conway Twitty or the Andrews Sisters.

Anybody else dance to this at their wedding?

Hopefully not on temple grounds.

Whiskey in the Jar.

but I like it because it's really an old Irish tune, done by Thin Lizzy and redone by Metallica. The rest of the stuff is too hard for me.

Actually, lots of people like Nothing Else Matters because it's more of a lyric ballad.

Thanks for the responses so far. Fun thread.

Hmmm...maybe that you're getting your eras confused? Queen was a '70s band that peaked in the '80s. Metallica was an '80s band that peaked in the '90s.

Yeah.... I kind of mesh them together. Partially because I've always been bad at remembering dates and details like that- part of why history was always my least favorite subject. And partially because they were both popular pretty much right before / right when I was born, and the fact that I liked them made me "odd" around my peers.

There are things I like about Metallica's music, and a few of their songs I used to listen to quite often- Nothing Else Matters, Of Wolf and Man, Enter Sandman, and... can't remember the name of this one but it was an instrumental that they did with Trans-Siberian Orchestra. I'm sure you probably know which one it is and can tell me ;).

But, even though I've enjoyed some of their songs and find that their music has merit, as I said before, none of their music has ever been my "favorite".

If I actually liked these guys the song I'd pick is Master of Puppets, because it pretty much rocks. Sadly, I know too much about them to like them. Anthrax though, that's a group ^^

Reminds me of how I felt about Led Zeppelin: A talent level somewhere between impressive and staggering, but I wouldn't want my sister (or daughter) involved with them.

And I never did understand Anthrax. To my ear, it was just noise. Don't know why they never clicked with me.