What would be considered an orthodox Mormon?

Bini

The Jewish community is divided into three broad camps: Orthodox, Conservative, and Reform. All camps consider all other camps to be legitimate Jews; the differences are primarily sociopolitical. Orthodox Jews dress conservatively, the men wear beards, they closely observe laws of kosher, and so forth. Reform Jews live a pretty typical modern, non-religious lifestyle, may not observe kosher at all, and so forth. Conservative are somewhere in between.

There is no equivalent within the LDS religion or culture.

It's interesting that there are degrees of Judaism. And each group is considered to be on the same playing field? When I hear "orthodox", I envision someone who completely conforms to their religious doctrine, without ifs ands or buts. Could the Prophet fit this description? Or any LDS that conforms to gospel doctrine? I did a Google and it appears that "Orthodox Mormon" is an existing label but I haven't clicked on the links, as I'm suspicious they lead to anti-Mormon sites.

It's interesting that there are degrees of Judaism. And each group is considered to be on the same playing field? When I hear "orthodox", I envision someone who completely conforms to their religious doctrine, without ifs ands or buts. Could the Prophet fit this description? Or any LDS that conforms to gospel doctrine? I did a Google and it appears that "Orthodox Mormon" is an existing label but I haven't clicked on the links, as I'm suspicious they lead to anti-Mormon sites.

"Orthodox" is an adjective meaning "traditional" or "non-rebellious". It is generally NOT used as a compliment; if someone uses the term "orthodox Mormon", you can be 90% sure that "sheeple" or some other critical assessment will be used as well.

That said, I consider myself quite orthodox, and obviously not in any bad sense.

Orthodox is a bit of a misnomer when it comes to Judaism. It really should be orthoprax, that is, someone who is observant in fulfilling religious acts. In Israel, we have several grades of Judaism. Ultra-Orthodox are those who go above and beyond the standard requirments of halakhic practice. Halakha is the Jewish religious law. An example of those are the chasidim belonging to the Toldos Aharon group, that stipulate every inch of dress, and only leave their neighbourhood when going on a religious pilgrimage (even then the bus windows are blacked out).

Orthodox meticulously fulfill all halakhic requirements, but not in excess like the ultra-orthodox.

Next are tradition keepers. They vary in observance.

Last are the non-observant, who might be anywhere along the spectrum from only keeping milk and meat separate all the way to pork eaters.

Guest bigbenarmy
Hidden

- Skill bar and weapon switching

"What! Only ten skills?" Well, in fact, more than 10 skills, first impatient Skills into weapons skills, generic skills and elite skills, each occupational skills are completely unique, no the normal skills belong to more than one career.cheap gw2 gold store,10 skills in the first five skills by the types of weapons and weapons of your own career decisions Ranger equipped with a large sword and soldiers equipped with a large sword will have different skills,4,5 skills offhand weapon decided addition to thieves, Basically 10 skills each role skill bar will be placed, If you are equipped with hands and arms as Staff class or sword five skills are decided by the weapon; first three skills if you equip two one-handed weapons decided by the main hand weapon, guild wars 2 gold treatment skills, thieves technology called dual skills, by the deputies of the main weapons and the same impact, as detailed a description of the thieves.I understand, some people are already shouting: Sword and Swords of soldiers and equipment have skills.

Really?

Very much so. If you look at members who attend and post in the bloggernacle (what would generally be considered active) and you tried to place individuals on a continuum from unorthodox to orthodox, I think you would find most of those at lds.net as being pretty far towards the orthodox side of the house. Those at STAY or NOM more to the unorthodox side. I am sure with most things that there are exceptions, but I would think this is one of the more orthodox sites on the net, by design.

For example, look at what gets moderated here as opposed to some other sites. That is good, because it give those individuals that are more orthodox a safe home.

Personally, I visit a number of those sites because I like the variety of perspectives, and it helps me to personally stay in balance. I guess that is a long way of saying yes....I find this site very orthodox compared to some others. And like others, I'm not using that as a pejorative.

-RM

It would seem that the category of “Mormon” is not enough for some people – that they want more stringent labels. Hmmmm does that make them Orthodox Religious labelers and the rest liberal religious labelers or unorthodox religious labelers?

Often when I am in public groups and someone asks for my religious preference I respond saying that I am a disciple of Jesus Christ. I prefer that term over calling myself “Christian”, LDS or Mormon. If they attempt to drill down for a more specific title I respond that I am a disciple of Jesus Christ after the order of Melchizedek. Then I ask if they would are interested in a better understanding of what this means and plays out in the religious community.

The Traveler

From my understanding, within the Jewish community, there are Jews and then there are orthodox Jews. What would be considered an orthodox Mormon?

From the Online Etymology Dictionary:

orthodox

1580s, from L.L. orthodoxus, from Gk. orthodoxos "having the right opinion," from orthos "right, true, straight" (see ortho-) + doxa "opinion, praise," from dokein "to seem," from PIE root *dek- "to take, accept" (see decent). As the name of the Eastern Church, first recorded in English 1772; in the sense of branch of Judaism, first recorded 1853.

Seems a bit subjective. From who's perspective would opinions be judged right or wrong? How would you know if the answer to the previous question itself is orthodox? ;)

Perhaps orthodoxy is best associated with consensus and tradition.

At the end of the day, what does it matter what an orthodox (or any other label for that matter) Mormon is? Are you led by the consensus or tradition of the group, or by what you know or feel in your heart? Would you purchase a pair of jeans because of the label on the back, or because it fits well and meets your functional needs?

Very much so. If you look at members who attend and post in the bloggernacle (what would generally be considered active) and you tried to place individuals on a continuum from unorthodox to orthodox, I think you would find most of those at lds.net as being pretty far towards the orthodox side of the house. Those at STAY or NOM more to the unorthodox side. I am sure with most things that there are exceptions, but I would think this is one of the more orthodox sites on the net, by design.

For example, look at what gets moderated here as opposed to some other sites. That is good, because it give those individuals that are more orthodox a safe home.

Personally, I visit a number of those sites because I like the variety of perspectives, and it helps me to personally stay in balance. I guess that is a long way of saying yes....I find this site very orthodox compared to some others. And like others, I'm not using that as a pejorative.

-RM

You must have a very different definition of orthodox (even those people here are trying to use Orthodox Judaism as a comparison, and I was an Orthodox Jew) than I am used to.

I've seen many, many posts here wherein church teachings are tossed aside and the "if it feels good, do it" mantra is embraced. From observing the Sabbath to the wearing of garments to tithing...you name it. I would compare it to the liberal or Reform definition, and practice thereof, of Judaism, where it is all about your personal feelings/desires and NOT the traditional teachings or halacha. Take the observance of the Sabbath for example. In Judaism, the halacha is clear on this. In the church, the general authorities have defined it very clearly. Yet if someone has an activity they want to do that is proscribed on the Sabbath...they will toss aside the church teachings and come up some sort of justification that makes it "okay". An Orthodox Jew would not do this. A Reform Jew would.

It's interesting that there are degrees of Judaism. And each group is considered to be on the same playing field?

I used to be Reform. Many, if not most, Orthodox would not consider me a real Jew because the conversion practices are different, and Reform don't keep kosher (unless they want to), among other things. Some Reform Jews are so 'reform' that they don't even believe in God. They are also more open to letting their kids date non-Jews than Orthodox or Conservative. I think it is a terrible thing to disown your children because of who they marry, but, if you aren't firm, or at least make your feelings known that you want your children to marry Jewish and raise children Jewishly, then you are well on your way to losing the religion in the next generation.

I realize there's no official orthodox Mormons, but I often think of those who won't get a caffeinated drink or drink cola products as 'orthodox.' :lol:

Great insight Leah, I can see what you are saying You definitely do get those posts here and with some support, but there is also very clearly the other side presented. Spend some time on STAY or NOM. They are more what I would consider reform or middle ground. Perhaps we both agree that there is a dividing line, just not on where that line is?

-RM

Sometimes I do not think we pay enough attention to things in scripture. I find no recommendation in scripture to make divisions (judgments) based on doctrine. In fact it seems that the scriptures specifically recommend against such thinking. Jesus recommended that we identify his disciples as those that love one another and that regardless of someone’s stated beliefs that they do not know him or follow him unless they love others.

The great divisions in peoples are not doctrine as most try to define religious separations but love. Thus I do not think it matters that much what a person professes to believe – near as much as the love they generate for others in the core of their soul. I do not believe false doctrines should divide in any way the saints of G-d.

The Traveler

Sometimes I do not think we pay enough attention to things in scripture. I find no recommendation in scripture to make divisions (judgments) based on doctrine. In fact it seems that the scriptures specifically recommend against such thinking. Jesus recommended that we identify his disciples as those that love one another and that regardless of someone’s stated beliefs that they do not know him or follow him unless they love others.

The great divisions in peoples are not doctrine as most try to define religious separations but love. Thus I do not think it matters that much what a person professes to believe – near as much as the love they generate for others in the core of their soul. I do not believe false doctrines should divide in any way the saints of G-d.

The Traveler

Amen!

The Traveler

Huh?

I do not believe false doctrines should divide in any way the saints of G-d.

The Traveler

I disagree with this. If someone is spouting false doctrine and says "Who's with me?" you had better believe I'd be on the other side of the line.