Please explain this to me!

Guest SquidMom

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the interest of post-election "coming-togetherness", I will say that Bytebear's interpretation is a new one on me and further say that I think "If You Could Hie to Kolob" is an awesome hymn.

There, have I sufficiently offended all sides?

You're welcome. :)

Count me in the camp that would like another hymn in place of Hie to Kolob. And add another to the heap--In Our Lovely Deseret. Bleh

Is "In Our Lovely Deseret" currently found in a hymnal? I didn't think it had been in a hymnal, adult or children's, since before I was born.

I like Bytebear's interpretation, and it might be correct. I've always been taught that Kolob was a place, and the Hymn certainly supports that as well.

However it it's also possible that BOTH are true, and that while Kolob is a place, it's also representative of a type and organization.

I wish they'd remove that beautiful hymn and put back Come, Thou Fount.

I remember when I first came back to church, after 30 years, that they had taken "Come Thou Fount" out of the Hymn books. I was really disappointed, because it was my favorite Hymn. (still is.)

Also I could sing it without getting off key too often. So I agree that getting " Come Thou Fount" back in the Hymn book would be great. But I think we should have both.

Brother Ray

Edited by circusboy01
Put wrong song in first time.

"Elohim" is a Hebrew word (אֱלֹהִ֔ים) meaning "gods". In the Old Testament, it is used mostly to refer to God (Jehovah), and is considered a sort of "name" for God. In LDS circles, we use "Elohim" as a proper name to refer specifically to God the Father, not Jehovah (who is Jesus Christ). This is primarily temple usage; outside the temple and early Church writings, we really do not see or use the term "elohim" very much.

Kolob is described as "the star nearest the throne of God" in the Book of Abraham (Pearl of Great Price). The Book of Abraham talks about stars being divided into various orders, higher and lower, and Kolob being of the highest order, next to the throne of God himself. So what does it mean? Apparently, it meant something to Abraham. For us and our modern view of astronomy, it doesn't mean very much.

Some, primarily professional anti-Mormons, have claimed Kolob as a "planet" that God "lives on". Such people delight in making LDS doctrine sound as bizarre and science-fiction-y as they possibly can. Don't expect any reasonable interpretations from such people.

The fact is that "Kolob" forms approximately 0.000% of any gospel doctrine, Relief Society, quorum, or family home evening lesson. Many members who have never read the Pearl of Great Price closely are not even aware of the existence of something called "Kolob". It is an exotic and mostly unknown LDS doctrine, popularized primarily by enemies of the restored gospel as something to mock and make fun of. I urge you to ignore their mockings.

Welp. The anti Mormons sure had me fooled. I thought Kolob was actually a planet so large that it took 1000 year for one revolution, or day. which was the reason Gods time is so much longer than our time. Brother ray

Guest SquidMom

Welp. The anti Mormons sure had me fooled. I thought Kolob was actually a planet so large that it took 1000 year for one revolution, or day. which was the reason Gods time is so much longer than our time. Brother ray

Thanks. Good to know I'm not the only one confused. Although you are probably joking....:P

Thanks. Good to know I'm not the only one confused. Although you are probably joking....:P

No I wasn't joking. Is my statement so foolish that it sounds like a joke? ( this could be taken as a smart remark. Please believe me that's not how I meant it.)

Edited by Eowyn
No swearing, even in Q-bert language.

There is really no correlation between the size of the planet and a day (single revolution).

Jupiter has 1300 times the volume of the Earth and its day is only 9 hours and 55 minutes.

Anti-Mormons are so hopeless.

That's funny. How come we no longer have a Laugh button, along with the Quote, and Thanks button?

There never was one in this particular forum. Keeps people from using the laugh button as a way to mock our beliefs which is what this particular forum is strictly for.

we've found planets on which the year is 10 hours. We've also found stars that complete a rotation in less than a minute. so if we have found things at the extreme end for short, id imagine that somewhere theres something at the other extreme end.

It may be the case that it literally has a 1000 year day, and that it may be a planet or star. I would not rule that out; In many cases God uses actual things to symbolize something. But the point is not that is how long or how close they are, but what they represent.

Edited by Blackmarch