Let Women Pray in General Conference

MorningStar

Now that the pants protest has passed, the latest Facebook thing going around is, "Let women pray in General Conference". Funny because I was talking to a friend and she and I never noticed that women don't pray during conference.

I've also heard that only men used to pray during sacrament meeting. Is that true? I'm curious about the reason for these things, but I know they don't ask just any guy to pray during General Conference.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have a source to go to, as this is from memory, but, it was probably somewhere around 1976/77 that women were given permission to pray in Sacrament meetings.

Is this what you're looking for? Nov. 1978 Ensign.

The First Presidency and Council of the Twelve have determined that there is no scriptural prohibition against sisters offering prayers in sacrament meetings. It was therefore decided that it is permissible for sisters to offer prayers in any meetings they attend, including sacrament meetings, Sunday School meetings, and stake conferences. Relief Society visiting teachers may offer prayers in homes that they enter in fulfilling visiting teaching assignments.

A few random thoughts:

AFAIK, the Church does not assign speakers in general conference based on making sure that the membership at large feels "represented"; it assigns speakers from among the pool of general Church leaders plus auxiliary heads whom God has selected to act within their respective spheres. That pool, as of last conference, consisted of 105 men and nine women, or 114 in total. Women constituted 7.9% of that pool, from which came twenty-four speakers and eight pray-ers (thirty two assignments in total). Two speakers were female in the last conference; the rest of the sermons (and all prayers) were offered by males. That means women constituted 8.3% of the speakers and 6.2% of the combined speakers/pray-ers. Women were therefore slightly over-represented amongst speakers, and one additional prayer would have caused them to be over-represented among combined speakers/pray-ers at 9.4%.

I guess my take-away from all this is: Yeah, women are slightly under-represented at conference. But somehow, I don't think assigning one more prayer to a member of the primary presidency (remember, the other six women will have spoken at general RS or YW meeting in the last couple of months, and the RS president is probably speaking again in a general session; I doubt any of them would be too keen to stand up at the lectern again (particularly knowing that the so-called "feminists" in the Church will pillory them mightily if they should - heaven forbid! - show up wearing anything more demure than a pantsuit)) is the type of change that the characters behind this Facebook petition are really looking for.

Edited by Just_A_Guy

I've never thought of talks by any member of the Primary Presidency as baby-talking. There have been some good talks.

Ok, I just watched the Brady Bunch where Cindy is teased about her "baby talk." BABY TALK, BABY TALK...IT'S A WONDER YOU CAN WALK!

A great parody:

What's the big deal about having a woman give a prayer in General Conference? It doesn't bother me at all and I find it hard to understand why it bothers others. As JAG said, it's all about the numbers.

Perhaps we should protest at church by saying "Ameen" instead of "Amen" after talks or prayers.... /tongue in cheek.

What's the big deal about having a woman give a prayer in General Conference? It doesn't bother me at all and I find it hard to understand why it bothers others. As JAG said, it's all about the numbers.

Perhaps we should protest at church by saying "Ameen" instead of "Amen" after talks or prayers.... /tongue in cheek.

"Awomen".

I don't see the problem with women praying in General Conference, either. But I see a very large problem with agitators trying to force change from the bottom up by whining and complaining about such "inequities" and signing petitions to muster political and/or social force. Such a thing is wrong-headed, in fact evil. Those Church members who participate in such charades are either dupes who are too naive (or foolish) to understand the dangers of the evils they are participating in, or they are false Saints actively working to undermine the Church of God and lead people away from the truths of the gospel.

The reactionary in me hopes that women do not pray in General Conference for the next hundred years, just to stick it to the complainers. Naughty reactionary.

I'm with Vort. I have absolutely no problem with women praying at General Conference. Non whatsoever. But like Vort, I have a problem with the protests and petitions to gain change.

Guest DeborahC

I agree. IF we believe all the things we SAY we believe when we apply for a Temple Recommend, then we should be comfortable letting the Authorities run the Church and instead of causing upheaval, we should SUPPORT them.

I've seen great change take place in the church, in the Lord's own time, not in ours.

I agree. There's jus a lot more men to get through then there are women, as far as GAs go.

My husband does.

"Awomen".

Lol. Hadn't thought of that.

I don't see the problem with women praying in General Conference, either. But I see a very large problem with agitators trying to force change from the bottom up by whining and complaining about such "inequities" and signing petitions to muster political and/or social force. Such a thing is wrong-headed, in fact evil. Those Church members who participate in such charades are either dupes who are too naive (or foolish) to understand the dangers of the evils they are participating in, or they are false Saints actively working to undermine the Church of God and lead people away from the truths of the gospel.

So do you consider me to be "evil" then, for having worn pants to church last month?

So do you consider me to be "evil" then, for having worn pants to church last month?

No. But if you wore them in some sort of protest, then I consider you to be duped by those who hate the Church and perhaps foolish for allowing your feelings to be influenced by such a nefarious source.

The reason for male prayers was not because they were men but because they held the Melchizedek priesthood. The rational was that the proceedings of meetings should be blessed - open and closed by the priesthood.

I see nothing wrong with sisters saying prayers at general conference. In fact I see nothing wrong with a primary child - male or female, giving talks or prayers at any meeting.

I also think it is okay to ask - in humility. But not to advise.

The Traveler

At the risk of sounding chauvinistic, having your own General Relief Society Meeting where women pray and conduct the meeting is not enough?

Men: two priesthood meetings a year, each 2 hours long

Women: one RS meeting a year, an hour and 20 minutes long

Men: no women speak at priesthood meetings

Women: man always speaks at RS meeting

Men: must go to church, can't view online, brethren must gather together, exclusive

Women: anywhere, anytime, anyone

Men: preside over priesthood meetings

Women: presided over by men at RS meetings

In the context of this discussion, yeah, it sounds chauvinistic. I don't care if women pray in General Conference or not...just pointing out some discrepancies.

No. But if you wore them in some sort of protest, then I consider you to be duped by those who hate the Church and perhaps foolish for allowing your feelings to be influenced by such a nefarious source.

I participated in the "protest" day, but my attitude was one of support for those who feel subjugated, not that I do myself.

Also, in case my tone wasn't clear in my above post, the question wasn't intended to bait you Vort...it was a genuine exploration of the scope of your thoughts on the issue. Thanks for answering honestly and clearly. :)

Edited by Wingnut
add more detail

The reason for male prayers was not because they were men but because they held the Melchizedek priesthood. The rational was that the proceedings of meetings should be blessed - open and closed by the priesthood.

The problem with this rationale is that it is not rational. Those who offer the invocation and benediction do not do so by the authority of their Priesthood. They simply offer the prayer in the name of Christ, as they have been instructed, and as can be done by anyone -- specifically, by any baptized member of the Church, male or female. I suspect that the "men-only" tradition of prayer in General Conference is just that: tradition. I doubt there is any doctrinal need for it.

I also think it is okay to ask - in humility. But not to advise.

Well said.