You're supposed to tithe on your increase. Someone dead isn't getting an increase. (I think there's a a scripture about that somewhere - something about moths.) I wouldn't call it a tithe, I'd call it leaving a portion of an estate to charity.

Now, when someone gets an inheritance, that could be considered an increase. I was executor for my dad's estate, and I paid tithing on my inheritance.

I've heard of one case where a couple was trying to divide their assets before death by gifting things to their children. They made it very clear that 'tithing has already been paid on this money'. Some of the kids chose to tithe anyway, some didn't.

I can see some mommy somewhere trying to force their inactive kids to tithe when she dies, by doing something like this and demanding it gets called a tithe.

I guess I can see the logic... You come into this world with nothing... So whatever you leave behind is your 'Increase' However using this path one could decide not to pay tithing at all during their life and just pay it an the end. I think that would be a bad idea. A person would lose so many of the blessing that come from paying tithing that way

I don't remember ever hearing anything like this, but it won't surprise me if I just wasn't paying attention. I've been an active member most of my life.

Anyway, I don't plan to give 10% to the church upon my death. I'll want everything given to me children as fairly as possible and it will be up to them if they choose to pay tithing or not.

I was given some money when my grandmother died and though I don't remmeber, I'm pretty sure I paid tithing on it because I was actively trying to live as I was taught.

Should I ever be fortunate enough to inherit money again I would pay 10% as tithing because too me, it would be an increase.

There is a difference between the ESTATE paying a tithe (before distribution) and the HEIRS paying a tithe in their inheritance.

There is no commandment anywhere that one must pay a tithe on their estate. That doesn't mean it's not a good idea. But there are better ways to do this. I would probably recommend setting up a charitable trust and get some tax advantages while you're still alive.

You can make voluntary contributions to a Church charitable organization such as LDS Philanthropies. LDS Philanthropies

Basically, a "death bed" contribution isn't required... nor will it affect your standing in the hereafter. :D

Any windfall income received as a result of inheritance should be tithed by heirs.

Is this person calling it tithing? Perhaps they just want to give a portion of their wealth to the church and decided that 10% is a portion they are comfortable with giving. Personally, I think that setting aside percentages instead of actual monetary amounts of your estate is a pretty good idea. It seems to me it would be a lot easier to settle the estate equitably if everyone knows what portion they can expect to inherit.

It depends on how quickly the entire estate is convertible into cash equivalents.

If the estate is made up of art, businesses, real estate, collectibles, etc., it can be difficult to convert into cash at full value at the time of distributing the estate.

The Lord has not blessed us with any children, and both my wife and I are the youngest members of our families by quite a bit and will presumably outlive our siblings, there are some nieces and nephews that will get a few personal items from us but other than a few specific personal items the Church will get our estate when we both die -- assuming its not all eaten up in medical expenses as my mothers estate was.

The Lord has not blessed us with any children, and both my wife and I are the youngest members of our families by quite a bit and will presumably outlive our siblings, there are some nieces and nephews that will get a few personal items from us but other than a few specific personal items the Church will get our estate when we both die -- assuming its not all eaten up in medical expenses as my mothers estate was.

You could adopt me. :P