What’s the last movie you watched?

Connie

Mockingjay.  I'm not a fan of the book, so the movie is so-so for me.  Because it's 2 movies for 1 book, it has parts that drag.  But overall, the acting and the cgi are just too awesome that the movie has no choice but to be good.

Big Hero 6.

I really wanted to love this one, but came out of the cinema just liking it alright. Graphics are stunning, no shortcuts on that, but story was just executed mediocre in my opinion. I wish the character artists had made Hero and his brother more ethnic looking, after all, they were Japanese in Japan. Still cute and kiddos are sure to enjoy it. My daughter did.

Big Hero 6.

I really wanted to love this one, but came out of the cinema just liking it alright. Graphics are stunning, no shortcuts on that, but story was just executed mediocre in my opinion. I wish the character artists had made Hero and his brother more ethnic looking, after all, they were Japanese in Japan. Still cute and kiddos are sure to enjoy it. My daughter did.

I'm pretty sure they both were half. Their aunt was their mothers sister, so Caucasian mom.

I can attest how different mixed kids can look. Two of my kids look like perfects mixes where you can see both mom and dad. My oldest daughter could literally pass for almost any race (Persian, Hawaiian, Latin, any asian mix except African) and thus looks like neither of us in particular,  my son who I took to the movie looks nothing like me at all. and looks very southeast asian (big eyes). Looks just like his mom 100%. 

So I actually liked this about the movie how the older brother looked more like his father and the younger more like his mother.

The last film I saw was Mockingjay, part 1, yesterday evening with my brother and mom. :) I'm a huge fan of the books and although I think it's silly that the last book is being split into two films, I think they did an amazing job with the source material. Extremely intense and all the actors did excellent jobs. No spoilers for people who haven't read the book... But I'm excited about the crazy stuff that's goes down for Part 2 and how they'll transfer that from the book to the film. :)

Mockingjay I:  I'm going to side with the producers.  Yes, they could have streamlined the content, and finished off.  However, it would have been a 3-hour movie, and probably one with some gaps and edits that book fans would have hated.  The Hunger Games movies I & II were both pretty faithful to the books, so I give my nod to the decision to break the final book into two parts.  As for the movie itself, how refreshing that there was time to capture Katniss' inner struggle.  Many reviewers said this led to drag, but it was important to the book.  The scenery was rich, the characters masterfully played--I liked the movie. 

I just finished watching "The Shoes of the Fisherman" with Anthony Quinn.  He has short dark hair and a no-nonsense thug face, and for a while I thought it was the guy who played Sgt. Friday on "Dragnet."  (Jack Webb?)

Certainly an impressive movie.  If you've ever been curious about life in the Vatican, you don't have to go to Rome... just watch this movie.  

I'll Be Home For Christmas

Cute, or at least, tries to be. It's basically a college-aged flick about a young man that is somewhat estranged from his family due to his father remarrying another woman only 10 months after his mother's death. The film journeys viewers through this young man's maturing and how he puts his selfishness aside to make things right with those he loves. It actually doesn't feel Christmas-y at all but there is plenty of holiday music in it...

lonetree:

That movie ("The Queen of Spades") sounded really cool.  IMDB summarized the plot as, "An elderly countess strikes a bargain with the devil and exchanges her soul for the ability to always win at cards."  (In exchange for her soul, she could have mountains of gold and rule the entire planet... and she only wants to win at cards???)

The movie wasn't on Netflix, but I got a partial match on "Queen of Outer Space," the 1958 camp flick with Zsa Zsa Gabor as the despotic alien.  Saw that in the theater a few years ago and almost laughed my clothes off.

So I headed over to Amazon, where I found "The Queen of Spades" on sale for $199.00 (used) or $399.00 (new).  

Where did you watch it?  

PolarVortex,

I first saw the film when it was shown by our public broadcaster here in Ontario in the 80s. In 2004, I bought it online from Amazon for about 40 bucks, new. Since then as you note, it's gone way way up. Since 2010 UK viewers have a new dvd edition of this with an intro. by Martin Scorcese. I wish those in control of such things would make it available on disc for those of us here in North America (along with that superbly creepy 1989 British film "The Woman In Black"). I hope you get to watch it eventually.I tried to include a picture of mine but am unable to figure out how to do that yet.  It is the same as the IMDB pic, part of a set along with 'Dead Of Night'-another 40s UK classic.

I see, thanks.

While we're on the topic of movies with the word "queen" in the title, I found a wonderful little video on YouTube that summarizes the entire movie "Queen of Outer Space" in about 2 minutes with carefully selected snippets.  I thought it was a hoot.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Mc2B0wMmg0

I know this will be shocking but... I only just saw How to Train Your Dragon 2. I blame my negligence on scheduling and possibly residual smarting from a major death in the book series (which the movies are only very loosely based upon). Of course, I watch this movie only to see a different death entirely... so now I'm traumatized all the way around.

I know this will be shocking but... I only just saw How to Train Your Dragon 2. I blame my negligence on scheduling and possibly residual smarting from a major death in the book series (which the movies are only very loosely based upon). Of course, I watch this movie only to see a different death entirely... so now I'm traumatized all the way around.

I know, right???  I mean... WHY????? 

Gaaah, I'm traumatized as well from the film death... It was all too soon and sudden and just felt wrong. I love the movies, but haven't read the books before, so now I'm curious to as who's death is depicted in the books instead...

Gaaah, I'm traumatized as well from the film death... It was all too soon and sudden and just felt wrong. I love the movies, but haven't read the books before, so now I'm curious to as who's death is depicted in the books instead...

I fear traumatizing you further in the case you have an attachment to the character's movie equivalent.

• pam featured this topic
  • pam unfeatured this topic