Utah Beauty Queen Arrested in Homemade Bomb Case

Just_A_Guy

Ha! My favorite comment is in the article:

"These are not your average teens blowing up mailboxes"

Um....

As in, if it were a mailbox bomb, it's just FINE?

Because metal shrapnel is so much less dangerous to plastic shrapnel? Shakes head.

((Says the girl who made thermite in highschool chem... set aluminum powder in the courtyard in pretty shapes -shaZaam-... And who strung det cord in half coffee cans with saline bags and then wrapped the whole sucker in duct tape (stick it to a wooden door and Bang! <grin> Door's open! Um. Watch for splinters the size of your arm. Gee. Who'd of thunk that giving a 16yo girl the Force Recon Handbook was a bad idea?))

((Says the girl who made thermite in highschool chem... set aluminum powder in the courtyard in pretty shapes -shaZaam-... And who strung det cord in half coffee cans with saline bags and then wrapped the whole sucker in duct tape (stick it to a wooden door and Bang! <grin> Door's open! Um. Watch for splinters the size of your arm. Gee. Who'd of thunk that giving a 16yo girl the Force Recon Handbook was a bad idea?))

I was a bit of a pyromaniac as a kid too. Once when I was about 10 we had candles at the dinner table, and I nearly set the table alight trying to make hot air balloons out of paper bags. I also used to experiment burning different substances from my chemistry set to see what smells and flames I could make. (Sulphur I recall was pretty cool.) I also used to pour big puddles of methylated spirit on the garage floor and then throw matches at it to see it go "whoooof!" (Luckily my parents never found out, despite the tidemarks these puddles left! They'd have had a fit!) I also tried to make meths-powered rockets out of old disinfectant bottles, but they never worked.

I also tried to make meths-powered rockets out of old disinfectant bottles, but they never worked.

I was scrolling down quickly and this caught my eye but I read it, "meth-powered rockets" which would be quite a different thing from mentholated spirits powered rockets. :D If you feel the need to revisit your childhood NASA has some guidance: Whoosh Rocket

My friends and I would have bottle rocket wars with each other. Metal Shop wouldn't let us make weapons, but they would let us make shields! :)

Did you ever reach the stage were you would build bottle rocket launch tubes and attach them to the handle bars of your bike? Incredibly inaccurate and hard to aim but quite a lot of fun, what kid doesn't want a home made Katyusha rocket launcher of his own?

Did you ever reach the stage were you would build bottle rocket launch tubes and attach them to the handle bars of your bike? Incredibly inaccurate and hard to aim but quite a lot of fun, what kid doesn't want a home made Katyusha rocket launcher of his own?

I never attached them to my bike, but we would create all sorts of "launchers". Mostly out of PVC pipe. Plug in one side, light the bottle rocket, drop it in the tube, and point and wait.

One day we got really carried away and instead of bottle rockets we started shooting each other with BB and pellet rifles. This was great fun until my friend got shot in the chest. He quickly runs from behind the tree, waiving his hands and yells, "Stop! Stop! What the hell are we thinking?"

We were fifteen and sixteen at the time. I don't recall thinking anything other than how funny it was that my friend had a BB lodged in his chest. :rolleyes:

Regards,

Finrock

Edited by Finrock
spelling

ROFL ;)

I reached the stage where I joined the military.

Q

We would get random chunks of pipe, figure out what fit in them with just enough room for a fuse, bury them most of the way in the ground, then with a good bit of black powder and a long fuse, make a mortar.

The guy two farms over never did figure out why D batteries kept turning up in his field when he plowed.

Argh. I've been searching and can't find this really funny TED talk where this very renowned scientist (coding DNA) talks about how his love of science REALLY started because -as every young boy knows- the frogs on his property had this life long desire to travel to the moon. As frogs born in the 60s do. Therefore he built rockets for them. But his mother kept busting him. The acrid clouds of smoke givingg him away time and again. So he did some research and found that unlike his current propellants, there was this ONE option that his mother probably wouldn't smell from behind the garage... rocket fuel made from... Nitroglycerin.

Q

"Look out! We're about to do science!"