Middle School Football Coach Chooses Hooters for End of Season Party

Leah

The man's an idiot. I hope he is fired.

From today's Oregonian: Hooters middle-school football party is on, despite Corbett district's objections | OregonLive.com

PDATE: In an interview, coach Burbach defended his choice of Hooters as the venue for a middle-school football party.

Corbett Middle School's football coach plans to wrap up the team's season by taking his 12- to 14-year-old players to Hooters, a restaurant best known for female servers in tight tanktops.

In a letter written to “Families and Friends of Corbett 7th/8th Grade Football,” Athletic Director J.P. Soulagnet said he tried to persuade coach Randy Burbach to move the event to another location, so that "families could attend and feel comfortable." But Burbach was “unyielding and emphatically said no,” Soulagnet wrote.

The letter was posted on the Corbett School District website this morning. [Full text is below.] Burbach could not immediately be reached for comment.

Mike Painter, a parent volunteer, praised Burbach and said it would be a shame if the Hooters controversy resulted in him not continuing as coach.

"It would be a huge loss for the kids," Painter said. "This guy is as good as it gets."

Soulagnet's note mentions one athletic patron who announced by email that his family would not attend the celebration if it were held at Hooters. But the athletic director said the discomfort level in the district is widespread.

“I spoke to many people over the weekend regarding the location of the event and time after time they looked at me in disbelief," Soulagnet wrote. "I started the conversation off with posing a question. Outside of a bar, tavern, or strip club where would be the next worse place in the lines of restaurants to take a middle school football team to? Time after time the reply was Hooters.”

The athletic director said the football party is no longer affiliated with Corbett Middle School, and it appears Burbach and perhaps other team coaches might not be far behind. Soulagnet wrote that he “cannot further support them in coaching roles here at Corbett based on the unwillingness to change the location of this event to a more appropriate spot.”

Painter, the parent volunteer, said Burbach bought the kids dinner after every game and also bought them pizza when they went to his house to review film for game preparation. He also took them on a team trip to Mount Hood. Painter guesses that Burbach spent $1,000 to $2,000 of his own money.

"He went so far over and above what any coach would do," Painter said. "It's unbelievable. It's because he cares."

Painter said he didn't personally have a problem with having the party at Hooters, which he said was chosen for its fun and "family" atmosphere and it gave them an ability to show some season video highlights. But because there were some concerns, Painter said perhaps changing party locations would be appropriate. He said he saw emails from 2-3 concerned parents.

"Outside of a bar, tavern, or strip club where would be the next worse place in the lines of restaurants to take a middle school football team to?"

The Corbett School District, known for its nationally recognized and sometimes controversial academic programs, serves a rural area at the east end of Multnomah County. The closest Hooters to the unincorporated community is in Portland's Jantzen Beach area, according to the restaurant chain's website.

Phil Pearson, principal of the district's middle and high schools, posted Soulagnet's letter on the district's website and said he supported his AD's approach.

Here is the full text of the letter:

An important notice about MS Football

November 4, 2013

By Phil Pearson

This is the text of the letter Athletic Director JP Soulagnet sent out to the families of MS football players. I fully endorse JP’s approach to this issue.

Dear Families and Friends of Corbett 7th/8th Grade Football –

First I want to thank Brian Davis for the e-mail he sent out regarding the end of the year celebration and the fact that he and his family will not be in attendance. I spoke with Randy Burbach this evening and asked him to move the event to a different venue so that all of the athletes and their families could attend and feel comfortable about the location and enjoy the season. He was unyielding and emphatically said no for a number of reasons. As a school district and athletic department we do not support nor condone the decision to hold an end of season celebration at Hooter’s for any of our teams, groups, or clubs cross the board and at at all levels including high school. This was a choice made by Randy Burbach on his own accord. This is no longer a Corbett Middle School Football event.

I’m disappointed on a many different levels. The one that affects me the most however is the fact that “the team” is the one that loses out. It has become an issue that is no longer about your boys.

Another unfortunate thing is that we will lose coaches that did a great job turning a group of middle school boys into a cohesive, affective football team. I’m very supportive of the time and effort that they have put in and contributed towards Corbett Football but cannot further support them in coaching roles here at Corbett based on the unwillingness to change the location of this event to a more appropriate spot.

I spoke to many people over the weekend regarding the location of the event and time after time they looked at me in disbelief. I started the conversation off with posing a question. Outside of a bar, tavern, or strip club where would be the next worse place in the lines of restaurants to take a middle school football team to? Time after time the reply was Hooters.

Their menu and food is good! They however are not known worldwide for their family style restaurant. If you have never been to a Hooter’s restaurant you can visit their website at ..::HOOTERS::... This international chain bills itself as “delightfully tacky yet unrefined”.

Some might say that this restaurant objectifies women. I would tend to agree. It is not a restaurant that I would feel good about my wife or daughter working at. I think it sends the wrong message to our young men and that saddens and worries me the most. I’m surprised that more families are not concerned. If my son had played on this team our family would not be in attendance as well. As a 21 year old he was shocked about the location.

Edited by prisonchaplain
Removed link to the chain restaurant in question.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like the coach is a decent individual who cares about his team but has (1) incredibly bad taste and (2) complete blindness when it comes to selecting appropriate venues for tweens and young teens. I'm not without sympathy for the coach, who by one estimate spent over $1000 in dinners and rewards for his team. But I also must agree that anyone who shows such an utter lack of judgment should be fired.

Erm... I have 2 boys aged 10 and 12 years old. We go to Hooters. They got the best venue with al fresco dining on the waterfront in the middle of the mall. Lots of people just stop by from walking the boardwalk to catch sports on TV as they usually have college and pro football, NBA basketball, ML Baseball, and hockey showing during sports season. Also, you can park your boat right infront of it. Lots of end of season parties are held there from the local sports teams as well because they let you play your season videos on their TV. Yes, they have the servers with tight shirts and shorts, but then, I live in a part of Florida were bikini tops are common place on that boardwalk even in November.

So yeah, I don't get that knee-jerk reaction when somebody says Hooters! But at the same time, if there are parents opposed to the venue, it would be good to just do the political move of trying to present the need of a video player, good food, no prep-work and clean-up needed, and a central location to the parents and ask them for suggestions. Unless the party is already bought and paid for...

When my wife was in high school, she was close to some guys who respected her and were protective of her. They were extolling the virtues of hooters, saying the place had been unjustly maligned. She said "Sounds like a great place - I think I'll go apply there." You never saw such light-speed backpedalling.

It's a good question to ask defenders of the place: Would want your wife/daughter/close friend/Young Women's advisor to work there? If you don't care, then congratulations, you're being consistent. If you find yourself caring very much, then there may be cause for some further reflection on the matter.

I've been to Hooters and it's not really all that the media and ultra-conservatives have hyped it up to be. In fact, I think a lot of folks would be disappointed upon actually eating at one IF your attending is solely on wanting to see young women in scantily clad clothing because in reality it's nothing like the playmate images typically associated with the joint. I would say that most Hooters hire regular looking girls and they sport your average fitted tank top and shorts.

[Moderator removed Image]

Not garment certified but certainly not as horrifically immodest as the rap given.

Edited by skippy740
moderator edit

MODERATOR HAT ON:

While this may currently be open for discussion, it is not open for images to promote (or otherwise) the chain restaurant on lds.net.

Sorry, didn't mean to advertise.

This is very similar to what waitresses at Hooters wear but they're not bare-legged, they wear pantyhose.

*picture removed

Edited by pam

I've been to Hooters and it's not really all that the media and ultra-conservatives have hyped it up to be. In fact, I think a lot of folks would be disappointed upon actually eating at one IF your attending is solely on wanting to see young women in scantily clad clothing because in reality it's nothing like the playmate images typically associated with the joint. I would say that most Hooters hire regular looking girls and they sport your average fitted tank top and shorts.

[Moderator removed Image]

Not garment certified but certainly not as horrifically immodest as the rap given.

Hooters' emphasizes a certain part of female anatomy. And not for intellectual purposes. It's even in the name.

The attire is immodest by church standards. Whether you are a garment-wearer or not.

I seriously doubt you would find our general authorities patronizing such a place or defending it like some of those here. I doubt they would give a thumbs-up to their daughters or wives working there.

So.....because strip clubs show even more skin, that makes this level of immodesty okay? I am sure the adversary approves. That train of thought.

Hooters exists to emphasize the female breast,because that's what guys like. That is where you want you young, impressionable boys taken by someone? No one is going to do that on my parental watch. It's inappropriate, even if you're not Mormon.And Mormons should have even higher standards.

Erm... I have 2 boys aged 10 and 12 years old. We go to Hooters. They got the best venue with al fresco dining on the waterfront in the middle of the mall. Lots of people just stop by from walking the boardwalk to catch sports on TV as they usually have college and pro football, NBA basketball, ML Baseball, and hockey showing during sports season. Also, you can park your boat right infront of it. Lots of end of season parties are held there from the local sports teams as well because they let you play your season videos on their TV. Yes, they have the servers with tight shirts and shorts, but then, I live in a part of Florida were bikini tops are common place on that boardwalk even in November.

So yeah, I don't get that knee-jerk reaction when somebody says Hooters! But at the same time, if there are parents opposed to the venue, it would be good to just do the political move of trying to present the need of a video player, good food, no prep-work and clean-up needed, and a central location to the parents and ask them for suggestions. Unless the party is already bought and paid for...

NOT a knee-jerk reaction by me or thousands of others. It is a reaction guided by our Heavenly Father's standards and the use of our brains.

Sorry, didn't mean to advertise.

This is very similar to what waitresses at Hooters wear but they're not bare-legged, they wear pantyhose.

*picture removed

I think the point Skippy was trying to make was not just the advertisement...but to have pictures of scantilly clad young women posted on the site. While some may not think it inappropriate, it does not give lds.net a good image promoting pictures of immodestly dressed young women.

It's fine for Bini or Anatess to bring their kids to Hooters. It's not okay for the public school coach to reserve a middle school party there.

Note to postmoderns: I really meant to put some qualifiers in the above post, but I just wasn't feelin' it, ya know? :-)

I admit that it has been many years - but I use to work for a company with headquarters in Milwaukie where one of the first Hooters restraints opened up - Milwaukie may be their headquarters. Anyway one of the management types took me to lunch there. It is important to know that I was famous within that company for not going to racy places. Perhaps Hooters has changed since then but I did not experience any inappropriate dress or behavior among the staff or on the menu - any more than a “Red Robbins”, “TGIF”, Chili’s or similar chain I have been to. Bottom line (pun intended) I do not know anyone that frequents Hooters that finds what many think is there. I would not look down on anyone that works at Hooters any more than I would a flight attendent that serves hard liquor on flights.

I have offered to take my wife to Hooters and she has requested I find another place - I never take my wife anywhere she does not want to go. She has never been to Hooters but has said the name is bad enough. I can understanding someone not wanting to go somewhere based on perceived reputation. But I know for a fact that a fashion luncheon at Little America in Salt Lake City is by far and away much racier by any stretch of the imagination (unless for some reason Little America has discontinued it) I only went there once a few years back.

The Traveler

Edited by Traveler

NOT a knee-jerk reaction by me or thousands of others. It is a reaction guided by our Heavenly Father's standards and the use of our brains.

So, are you ok with taking the party to Sneakers instead?

Or, how about to a Thursday night NFL game?

So Bini, you'd be okay with your daughter waitressing there?

Yes, I would be.

The image I posted that was removed showed how non-playmate Hooters uniforms are. They really are just a sleeveless top and shorts. The franchise honestly does not live up to the reputation that the media and ultra-conservatives have given it.