Pope Francis named TIME's Person of the Year

andypg

TIME's Person of the Year 2013 Pope Francis, The People's Pope | TIME.com

Personally, this comes as no surprise to me, he's been very popular ever since he came out on the balcony in March. I remember being super excited, as I was a Catholic then, to see him step out and the joy of seeing not only the new Pontiff, but a man who chose the name Francis, it was beautiful for me.

Although sadly, my first choice didn't win, Pope Francis has proven to be a wonderful Pope for the Catholic Church and showing to be a wonderful continuation from Pope Benedict XVI.

So what do you guys think of TIME's choice? Also, I don't really talk to many LDS, live in a non-LDS area and am a Catholic Studies Minor (didn't feel like switching after my conversion) at a Catholic university, so what do you guys think of His Holiness Pope Francis?

Some guy from my work said he got chosen because Rush Limbaugh disagreed with him. LOL.

That's a very interesting theory. Originally TIME said that Pope Francis was disagreeing with dogma, which is absolutely false. It's been interesting to see the media misunderstandings of the Popeal as well as the misunderstandings both liberals and conservatives have of him. He's not the great liberal savior set out to change the evil anti-women anti-gay Catholic Church. He IS Catholic!

I'm just waiting for the day when everyone realizes he's theologically Pope Benedict XVI and Blessed John Paul the Great.

off topic, I've gotten used to referring to Pope John Paul II as Blessed Pope John Paul the Great for a while (before my conversion), it ok if I still call him that? (Blessed is his official title and "the Great" is something many of the faithful have added as a sign of respect to a great leader like him)

off topic, I've gotten used to referring to Pope John Paul II as Blessed Pope John Paul the Great for a while (before my conversion), it ok if I still call him that? (Blessed is his official title and "the Great" is something many of the faithful have added as a sign of respect to a great leader like him)

Of course. The title applies. He is blessed and he is great!

I've read several articles indicating that Pope Francis is a great friend of the Charismatic Renewal within his church. Many Pentecostals and Charismatics see much to hope for here. Pentecostal Pope Calls Ecclesial Movements and the Whole Church to Newness, Unity and Mission - International - Catholic Online

So what do you guys think of TIME's choice? Also, I don't really talk to many LDS, live in a non-LDS area and am a Catholic Studies Minor (didn't feel like switching after my conversion) at a Catholic university, so what do you guys think of His Holiness Pope Francis?

I think it was a wonderful choice! I think Pope Francis has done much good in the world and I've been inspired by some of his teachings, so I can't think of any reason to oppose this decision at all. :)

Most years when they name Times Man of the Year, I can usually think about about 10 others that I would have thought more appropriate. Opinions of who it should be are always subjective.

Most years when they name Times Man of the Year, I can usually think about about 10 others that I would have thought more appropriate. Opinions of who it should be are always subjective.

This one is a hard one for me as my own Person of the Year is someone who influences me the most which is very different from who influences most of the world the most. So, if I really step back and look at it in a global scale, there's really not that many people to choose from.

So, how about we use this thread to express our opinions on other people that may be the Person of the Year, 2013? Or maybe we can start another thread.

Okay, Pres. Monson, of course, is going to head this list. But other than him, I would put up Anderson Cooper. Admittedly, I am very biased on this one. Anderson Cooper stood his ground against Philippine corruption and brought the true story of the plight of the post-typhoon Filipinos to the world stage.

This one is a hard one for me as my own Person of the Year is someone who influences me the most which is very different from who influences most of the world the most. So, if I really step back and look at it in a global scale, there's really not that many people to choose from.

So, how about we use this thread to express our opinions on other people that may be the Person of the Year, 2013? Or maybe we can start another thread.

Okay, Pres. Monson, of course, is going to head this list. But other than him, I would put up Anderson Cooper. Admittedly, I am very biased on this one. Anderson Cooper stood his ground against Philippine corruption and brought the true story of the plight of the post-typhoon Filipinos to the world stage.

It would be better to start another thread as to not take away from this thread that one started.