Weird things you did as a child

Suzie

I used to be an "ant surgeon" as a young child. I would take a poor ant, try to remove one of the legs and try to replace it with a little stick or whatever I could find.

For some reason, I wanted to see an ant walking with a wooden leg. :mellow:

What about you? What weird things you did as a child?

I bought an Englebert Humperdink and a Roger Whitaker album from the TV ads, using my allowance money.

There is nothing weird about Roger Whitaker. But I agree E. Humperdink is the weirdest!

I took apart things looking for the *little* people that were in them. Telephones, radios even the tape recorder my oldest brother brought home from his job at The Lighthouse for the Blind he recorded stories in them.

No amount of making me stare for hours on end as punishment got me to stop. The spanking Mom gave me using the paddle that once held that stupid elastic string and tiny ball ~ THAT gave me incentive to stop.

I used baseball cards and clothes pins and put them on my bike so that the spokes made a cool sound when riding.

That's not weird. Everyone did that when I was a kid.

We used to put an old wallet into the middle of the street and attach fishing line to it. When someone stopped to pick up the wallet, we'd pull the string so that the wallet moved. Scared some people pretty bad.

We used to tie our Barbies to the dining table legs or the banisters on the stairs and whip them or pretend they were being burned at the stake. We would also pull of the doll heads because we were decapitating them for being Christian.

That's what years of Catholic school will do for you.

There is nothing weird about Roger Whitaker. But I agree E. Humperdink is the weirdest!

Err...uh...:::cough:::...I was 12!

I was listening to true long hair music: Mozart, Beethoven, etc. Country: Chet Atkins, LeRoy VanDyke, Jimmy Rogers, Roy Acuff, etc. and trying to sneak in Rock n Roll but not getting away with it, from the time I was 5 years old. The Rock n Roll was from Jr. High school - but I really couldn't get into it.

I loved the *Long Hair Music*. Dad and I listened to it for hours, while we were reading books.

When I was about 10 or 11 I had this fantasy that there was a huge nocturnal spider called "Old Spiddy" living in our back garden. It was therefore very important to lock the doors at night, in case Old Spiddy came into the house and tried to eat us up. Whenever it was my job to lock the garage doors in the evening, I'd whisper to myself (as I was doing it) "This'll keep Old Spiddy out!"

My ward friends would hang out Friday nights and tie a stuffed animal skunk on fishing line. We would then place it across the street and run the line into the yard on the other side. We would all get well hidden and when a car would come we would slowly start to pull it out into the road to see if cars would stop for it. Most would, but the bewildered look on there face to see an animal essentially roll out into the street, stop and then roll away was classic. Kind of like a "did I just imagine that" look. We got quite proficient at it.

One time, a truck full of other youth tried to stop not to hit it, the stopped on our line and before they stole our skunk one looked out into the yard we were hiding in and said "I bet there are a bunch of kids right now just laughing at us"... well we waited for them to leave. But we needed to get a new animal. We had to stop when we started placing it into a tree and made it look like it was jumping down in front of the car after some cars swerved pretty bad, we didn't want to cause an accident.

It's cool growing up in the Philippines because normal kid stuff there is wierd here...

Like:

1.) Beetle factory.

This guy is showing how to tie a beetle to the end of a string. We tied our beetle to the middle of the string and tie each end of the string to gears. when the beetle flies, he goes around and around turning the gears. Then we would put the beetle in a metal "hangar" so when he flies the noise bounces off the metal making it sound like a real factory engine.

2.) Spider Gladiator

The video shows the spiders in the traditional matchbox case. I had mine in cassette tape cases - one spider in each cassette.

3.) Luthang Wars

I can't find a better video. We make these pellet guns out of bamboo and go on neighborhood wars with them. The pellets are small wads of wet newspaper.

ready-to-fire-caplong.jpg

4.) Lantaka

We used to spend all day long building Lantaka (bamboo cannon) and firing them and running away from the grandparents trying to get the kids away from the kerosene...

Fun times...

I bought an Englebert Humperdink and a Roger Whitaker album from the TV ads, using my allowance money.

The Roger Whitaker album was great - The Last Farewell is a classic. I bought it off the same TV ad (But I was an adult by then).

Never did get into Englebert.

Edited by mnn727

We used to tie our Barbies to the dining table legs or the banisters on the stairs and whip them or pretend they were being burned at the stake. We would also pull of the doll heads because we were decapitating them for being Christian.

That's what years of Catholic school will do for you.

Not really sure whether to laugh at that one or gasp in horror. You must have had scary Nuns teaching you.

My sister and I had a spell book, we were inspired by the movie Hocus Pocus, and we'd create these off the wall brews that had strange ingredients in them. Sugar, eggs, dirt, outside bugs, etc. I think I actually convinced a couple friends to eat some, promising them they'd be able to fly or become invisible.

My brother caught a stray kitten once with some friends and left it floating on a floaty in the middle of our pool. It couldn't get off because the wind kept it moving around, and it only bounced off the pool sides occasionally. I think I was 7 or 8 then and not an animal lover like I am now.

I used to challenge the ocean to drown me. Once I did get sucked out in an undertow. Popped me right back up, but I had to swim a couple miles back in once I got out of it (swim at an angle). Next morning I was right back out there. Okay, ocean, whaddya got for me today? Shudder. I think I was in 4th grade that year. Maybe 7th. Either way. Yikes. My kids are older than that. I'd skin them if they did the stuff I used to.

Q

Another thing we would do is tie fishing line across the street. When cars would break it, it would make a loud snapping noise and watch peoples reaction.

We also used to do that and run the line through a couple of straws in the middle so that they appeared to be floating (all at night). Cars would stop, their drivers would get out and we would steal their cars! Oh, well, okay we wouldn't steal their cars, we would just watch. Once we did that about 5 times down the same street, it was funny to see the car stop with each "floating straw" road block.